Post/couriers

Hello and good day to you all i am digging again , i have a friend in Nairobi ,  to which i would like to send a used smart phone (not a lot of value) they tell me that keyan government say it is not allowed as they assume it is a scam  , but to me this is rubbish     have any of you expats recieved or sent anything to a private address in nairobi  and
1 did it arrive?
2 who did you use  ?
3 was there an import cost ?

thanks

Use DHL or UPS if you want to be assured of its arrival.  Be assured though that the parcel will be opened and duty will be charged on the basis of cost, insurance and freight, VAT, KEBS inspection, and one or two other levies, so may well come to more than the value of the phone. 

If you can't include a receipt for the phone, customs will value it. 

The parcel would be held at JKIA while the courier contacts the recipient to ask for duty payment.  The parcel won't be released until duty is paid in full. 

Customs may want to thoroughly inspect the phone and to turn it on to make sure that its genuine.

There are so many phones on the market here, at reasonable prices, just send the money and let your friend buy!

t56hankyou Sir but what are the prices of a secondhand phone that can run skype  / whatsapp as the postage on this would be around 60 euros  how does this compare to a second hand or new smart phone  there

and how can i send money ?? to someone in kenya when they do not have a bank acc?

If they have Mpesa you can send money to them via services such as Western Union, World Remit and so on.

You can buy a new smartphone from around Ksh 4000 (Safaricom). 

The duty on the used phone will be calculated on the Euro 60 plus the phones value, if you send it.