Indians living in nairobi

hi

i am currently live in dubai with fam. i have been offered as fin contoller job with 5000 usd in nairobi. is this a good place to live for indians with family? have child 6 years. cbse school there? ladies can live there safely? how many indians may b there in nairobi? vegetables etc avail?wats approx cost of liv for 2 adults and a child?lot of indian families there?is this good salary over there?how much accomodation costs?

hope my questions will be answered..

cheers

gireesh

Gireesh,
I suspect you already have answers to your questions by now.
There are thousands of Indians in Nairobi, and they fall into two groups: Kenyan Asians (who migrated to Kenya in the late 19th century when the country was still a British colony, and who are a very successful business community), and Indians like yourself coming to work there for multinational and sometimes local corporations. So - you will not look out of place on the streets of Nairobi, until you speak, that is!
There are many schools with different curricula: GCSE is the most common for foreigners, but GCSE schools tend to be on the expensive side (school fees about USD 1500 per student per term, including transport and without meals). Security in Nairobi, just like in Delhi, Kolkatta, etc, depends on where in the city you live. It would be a good idea to get your employer to find a house for you: local landlords will almost certainly overcharge you once they figure you are an expat. A typical 2 bed house in the heavily Indian Nairobi suburb of Parklands will set you back about USD 800 a month, excluding water and electricity. Vegeterian food is available in plenty.
Nairobi is quite expensive: fuel is USD 1.50 a litre (petrol), and traffic jams are only a little better than Kolkatta's. Right now, there is a lot of road construction going on, so getting to work can be a hassle in the mornings.
Enjoy the country!

hi, im a 5th generation kenyan indian living in Nairobi. My forefathers came in the 1890's brought by the british from India. I have lived here since birth. Nairobi has around 60 thousand asians living in it (sikhs, hindus, jains, swaminarayans, gujuratis, muslims, ismailis etc). In Kenya there are approximately close to half a million asians. So in terms of equality we are a minority however due to the perceived social status we are considered an elite group (though this is not true in the strictest sense).
Most big companies offer jobs to expats (mainly south asians) so you will not be alone. Plenty of schools offering GCSE, or the American system IB. Oshwal schools, Arya Vedic schools, premier academy, and aga khan schools are the most popular with asian families. Depending on where you will stay Parklands, Highridge and Westlands are most poular because of the set up - high rise flats - apartments etc. However asians are spread all over nairobi. There is an asian hawkers market where the asian community built and set up a vegetable market for ordinary kenyans. this is all fresh produce and nearly all asians shop here. You get vegetable shops in bigger malls. same produce slightly higher cost. $5000 a month is more than sufficient to live here. Weather is somewhat like chandigarh - not too hot not too cold - its pretty wet here.
If you have any other queries there is an organization called Preston Hughes Associates that helps expats with various issues from immigration, accommodation, staffing, schools etc etc, so please feel free to PM me and i will assist where i can.
Raj

Hi ,

5000 USD is more than enough.

Excellent place, mind blowing weather and many many Indians.

What else can I say. Been staying here since 2 months.

Karibu Kenya

Hi all...I am getting an offer from telecom company as below. Please suggest me if this fine can I save something. I have two kids - 6 years and 3 years so total 2 adults and 2 children. Security is topmost priority.

Salary INR 12 Lac (26000 USD) + Apartment + Domestic Help + Car Fuel + Fooding Lodging + Child Education

Please suggest if I accept their plan or go for self paid deal.

Best regards.

Hi, I have just moved to Nairobi without my family. My family will not shift because of my kids education. However they will join me during vacation. As I will be staying alone here, I would like to share a 3 bedroom furnished apartment with an Indian expat so that whenever our family come to stay with us during vacation, there wont be any problem. I am doctor by profession. If such person are available ,

Welcome on board debasish,

Can you please post your message on the accommodation section of Nairobi Classifieds page.

Regards

can someone help me gauge what is the average salary to be expected in Nairobi for IT professionals with 3 years experience?

Hi Buddy!

Good deal take it! and you are most welcome.
Kenya is great! [Moderated: No free ad pls]
regards
Fareedh.

Hello Fareedh -> To note that this is an old thread (2011). ;)

Thank you,
Aurélie

mr fareedh give me ur email add

mr fareedh give me ur email add

i am adnan and amy email add is [email protected]

Hi Adnan,

Can you please introduce yourself?

How can we help you?

Thanks,
Christine

yes i am here i want to start business in nairobi so please advise it is safe for me to do business please also need ur advise

I am discussing a job based at Nairobi with an MNC. The offer is USD 2500/- per month net + Family accomodation + Car & Fuel. Is it good? 1st six months will be a bachelors accomodation and then family. 1st six months car + Driver & after that own driving. family to & fro tickets to home once every two years. 23 days leave every year. How is the working/Social & political conditions in Kenya - Is it 5 days a week working? Is it safe for family? Kids education - Indian/CBSE schools?

The salary seems OK due to house + car + Fuel.

The environment of Nairobi is quite OK.

Kashif

Thanks Kashif!!!

Hi, i am an 9 yrs experienced IT professional and have been offered job in nairobi ... would like to what salary shld i ask for ???

I am told that you can expect at least 1.5 times of what you get in India.

This means In India if salary is 50K INR per month, we can expect minimum 75K INR per month ??? this is too less according to me. Kindly correct me if i have misunderstood calculations.

Hi Gireesh
That should good enough. If you wish to know more you are free to contact me on ****
Best
George Mathew ( a mallu settled here for over 30 years)

That not bad offer to start rest depend on experience and ur contacts

25K hike is anytime possible within India, why would it sound an attractive offer ?????

that too low quote above 2000 usd work permit rules your salary should be above   2000 usd/month

Hi Deeb, thanks for response if my net sal in INR in India is 85K how much should I quote in USD for Kenya ? Is it approx 4000 USD net after deducting tax and traveling expenses. Accommodation will not be provided by company.

i think 4000 usd is okay

please call me for kenya job discussion . i am from pune [Moderated: Use private message to send personal information.]

Hi kumarj2006,

Can you please post your jobs offers in the Jobs in Nairobi section, this can help. :)

Thank you,

David.

HI

I AM FROM KARACHI PAKISTAN I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT EDUCATION IN NAIROBI KENYA HOW MUCH FEES IN NAIROBI SCHOOLS 1ST CLASS TO 10 IN USD
IF I EARN 1000 USD AND ACCOMODITION FROM COMPANY AND I HAVE 3 CHILDRENS

THANKS

@ FAHIMUDDIN > Hello :) Would you mind avoiding capslock on the forum. Thanks. Karen :)

ok

Hi i am getting an job offer from kenya ...pls can some one guide me what should be the minimum salary you should earn to shift along with your family...2000USD + Accomodtn + Transport + Medical facility.

Hi Friends,

I have been offered a job in Nairobi , (Salary 1400 USD Net + Accommodation + Car ) I'll be shifting alone for 7-8 months and later my wife will join me.

is this offer good? will have get to save any money?

(Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls )

:)  Hello frnd i hope someone sure help me
I want find job in Nairobi and  so I want good suggestions

One company from kenya had offered a job for me . Can you guide me I have some quieris. I am from pune , maharashtra.india.
Please call me or massage me on this number-919028761368

Hi Tushar,

I am an Expat from Mumbai and am here from the last 8 months.
Let me know your family status and how you prefer to stay in Kenya ie. alone or with your family, also tell me more about your offer and where would you be staying ie. Nairobi or Mombasa.
Ill try and be of some assistance.

Dear Sachin,
US$1400 is not sufficient as you would be spending more on your kids education and stuff.
You might survive well but cant save much so whats the point of shifting.

Thanx for positive response. According to   company address I had decided to live in nairobi. I am a bachelor so I will come alone. I have a plan to live with other indian guys, but dont know it will be possible or not. If company provides me accommodations then how much salary should I expect from them. Yet the salary discussion is not done, they had asked me my opinion on salary. What you think how much package should I told them. So that i can do my saving.Please reply earlier.

Hi Tushar,

I am an expat from Mumbai living in Nairobi since the last three months.

Can you pl. mail me your inquiries at ***** so that I can be of any help.

Best of luck !

Best regards

Harvinder Pal Singh