Planning to move to Kenya

Hi

I'm a Chartered Accountant from India and am planning to move with my family to Nairobi shortly to join an MNC as Finance Manager. My family consists of my wife (who is also a Chartered Accountant) and a 4-yr old son.
I would like to know what is the best place to live in Nairobi from safety point of view, and also where fellow Indians can be seen & spoken with.
Also does Nairobi has Indian schools where my little chap can study & enjoy his time? Also do the schools have day-boarding facilities for kids?
Do we get necessary foodgrains like rice, wheat and pulses, spices, milk, drinking water easily in Nairobi? Are these things priced very heavily or are available at normal rates as compared to Indian prices? Same about fruits and vegetables?
Can we also watch some Hindi programmes on the cable TV/Dish TV network there, and do some cinema halls also show hindi movies?
Thanks for your answer

Prashant

Welcome to Expat.com, Prashant!
As you have very specific questions, maybe the Network of Indians in Kenya could help?
Cheers
Arlette

Yes, if you want an Indian or Asian dominated area in Nairobi then PARKLANDS is the best for you. Its high class of course and secure.

Anything in form of food is available in Nairobi but the price will depend on where you are doing the shopping. The price of stuff in Nairobi depends normally with which you belong and where you do your shopping. Could be cheap or Expensive.

DSTV (Cable Tv and) will give you the best package for your Hindi channels

Schools are everywhere from private, International to public. You will have to choose which system you want for the chap, There are many schools in Kenya that looks like they are specifically for Indians

Hi Prashant,

There's a large Indian community here. Mostly 3rd-4th generation immigrants but also a few (like myself) who have come here on work. Thanks to this community, you will find Indian restaurants, ingredients and everything else you would need. The cost of living in Kenya is higher when compared to India.

Several Indian schools...Oshwal School comes to mind. Not sure of day care facilities but people in need of this service generally hire an 'ayah'.

With Zuku cable TV you will be able to watch most Indian channels you're used to (www.zuku.co.ke). Virtually every cinema theatre screens Hindi movies. But please, mingle with everyone and not just with the Indian community :-)

Best of luck!
TJ

Hi there

Thanks for your replies! They have really boosted my morale, and i'm now looking forward to my new assignment in Nairobi very positively.

Thank you very much :)

Prashant

(moderated: off topic)

Yes planning to move to Kenya(Nairobi)So many queries....safe?cost of living? House rent 2BHK in city? Transport cost? Good schooling? Good hospital? Petrol cost? Decent meal etc

Hi Prashant,
Am glad to have seen your story and requirements for your coming to work in Kenya. I wish to tell you that Kenya is a country full of Indian cultures and you will be very comfortable. You are welcome.
As per your request for an apartment, there is a place in Nairobi called Nextgen Park along Mombasa Rd where environment is favorable and has many Indians. But first of all let me know the size of apartment  you would wish to occupy 1, 2 or 3 bedroom. Also let us know the location of work so it can help choose location of residency due to traffic inconveniences.
Will be glad to hear from you.