How has your life changed in Saudi Arabia

Hello everyone,

Has your life changed since you moved to Saudi Arabia? If so, in what way?

Tell us more about all the changes in your life regarding your family, job, or friends. What about your frame of mind? How would you define your mood?

Leisure activities improve our health and social interactions. How much time do you dedicate to leisure activities and networking nowadays?

Would you say that your standard of living has improved in Saudi Arabia? What income differences have you noticed?

On a scale of 0 to 10, tell us how much your expatriation to Saudi Arabia has transformed your life (0 = no change, 10 = dramatic change).

We look forward to hearing from you!

Priscilla

It was dramatic for me -  in terms of gaining weight.  Arriving here and being thrusted into an array of fast food, comfort food I gained quite a lot in quick time. It was a mood changer in the beginning but now mood is worse and running around to reduce the fat.

Since life is laid back here,  I do get a lot of time for family, friends and even make new ones. But the social reciprocation's are slow or nil in KSA and hence there is usally a high chance to drop out from your friend circle.

Standard of life has improved and gotten used to a routine lifestyle and creates a comfort zone, which is not very good in the long run for an expat.

I would say my transformation stood at 6/10. There is lot to improve.

At first everyone will come in happy mood. Everyone will think that we can enjoy more.

But here situations are totally different. You will not have friends to chit chat, you will not have small small stuffs to eat, will not have any entertainment zone. It will be so much hard --- harder --- hardest for the first few months.

after a year at least if you bring your family, then it will be fine. when ever you prefer to take home for rent, consider that your native country people lives beside you, so that you can have good company.

The best thing of Saudi Arabia is you can save more money while compared to other arab countries.

What ever it may be once you reached Saudi Arabia you have to adjust & enjoy with your colleagues & with your country people.

Saudi Arabia is very good for very good people & very bad for very bad people. we have very strict rules here, Everyone should follow. if anyone dosen't follow the rules you may have to pay fine in thousands or sometimes it may lead to Execution.

Yes, The change is inevitable, as I come from India where the highest level of freedom is available on earth, Initially felt like a prisoner, going in shuttle to office, working and coming back then eating and sleeping, Thought of going back to India almost everyday till the next three months. Once I got my car, it was like getting some liberty to move around. As a sales person, I need to meet strangers and foreigners which I felt like opportunity and started enjoying it. First year I gained 10 kg (from 76 to 86) and struggled to maintain  the same weight in second year. Third year took a firm decision to reduce it. Moved to Malaz just because of King Abdullah Park, the one and only kind of walking track available in Riyadh. it definitely helped me a lot, now i am back to my original weight. Since no entertainment or social life is available here, I can dedicate my free time for self grooming,  I will turn 50 in December, and targeting to regain my 6 pack abs which i had at the age of 25.  6packabs@fifty  does it sound like a new fitness mantra?. If that happens I will be glad enough for taking this drastic decision of moving to KSA leaving behind my family and friends.

Hi everybody,

yes it is far far far better ,
I agree with most of all  I get more time for my family,
I agree I spend more time on my favourite hobby reading books,
I agree that I'am more inclined towards reading spiritual books ,frankly am an Christian I spend more and more time reading Bible then before and I developed greater insight of the Book now than before,
I get more time for study of astronomy,UFO,analyse conspiracy theories,science developments etc,.
I get time to cook for my family,
I get time to spend more time for children's hobbies,
I get more time for my health and my family health (seldom I go to hospital as quality of life and environment is better ),
I became more adaptive,
My personal life is great,........over all I like this place and contributed a lot to my life .

Hi
Since April 1977 till now my life in Saudi Arabia, very very  peaceful, during these period I have traveled almost many many countries but found Saudi Arabia is No.1 country for all categories of peoples, either rich, poor or medium or upper medium income groups. First of Health concern, it is is needed program  to follow regular exerciser, usually either early morning  hours and evening after 6 pm subject to weather conditions.

2. Family welfare, When I landed first day I have made program paying attention to increase Bank Balance and have my own home before marriage. which i have succeeded in 1985 and married same year. in due social responsibility of the family, (taking care of old age parents) wife stay in my home town and manage very very discipline  way. And we plan to give best and vest education to our kids + also to look after our parents.

3. During these period I work hard and hard looking different opportunities and reached  from Office Secretary to  Business Development Manager, in logistics company now.

3. my first daughter born inn 1988, second in 1991 and third in 1995.... First daughter  completed
Engineering Degree in Telecommunication and got married settled with her husband in USA. Second become Doctor (MBBS), and got married and settled with her husband in Dubai. Third student of M.Sc final year and gold medalist in Mathematics and Physics...

4. for myself and my wife we extended our house into 3 floors and two floors rented it is our livelihood till end of our life ALHAMDULILLAH (THANKS GOD).

5. All these activities happens while working in Saudi Arabia, and with hard earnings.

6. one way myself and my wife given much sacrifice SPECIALLY I GIVE ALL CREDIT TO MY WIFE WHO VERY PATIENTLY MANAGE MY HOME AND GIVEN BETTER EDUCATION OUR  KIDS AND TAKEN CARE OF MY PARENTS AND HER MOTHER.

7. during these entire period i have brought my wife and two kids in 2016 on visit visa. But I use to visit home every 3 times in a year for 15 to 20 days and yearly vacation for 40 days...

8. reason of not keeping family with me it is education.. here there is no such convent schools in Saudi Arabia who could give the education to the kids what we prefer.

9. During these period i feel very very easy when week end comes .... I have very limited friends + some relatives to spend times very occasionally not regularly...

10. DURING ALL THESE YEAR AL HAMDULILLAH (BY THE MERCY OF GOD) I STAY VERY VERY HEALTHY...BECAUSE OFFERING PRAYING FIVE TIMES WHICH GIVEN ME MENTALLY PEACE SECOND DOING REGULAR EXERCISE, THIRD TAKING SIMPLE MY OWN HAND PREPARED FOOD MOSTLY VEGETABLES... 

I HAVE PLANT TO RETIRED AT THE END OF 2018 ... AFTER MARRIAGE OF MY LAST DAUGHTER ... AND DURING THIS YEAR I PLAN TO HAVE SMALL AGRICULTURE LAND TO SPEND MY REST OF THE TIME ...

I HAVE LOT OF GOOD MEMORIES OF SAUDI ARABIA ... I HAVE BORN AND EDUCATED AND WORK FEW YEARS IN MY COUNTRY BUT SAUDI ARABIA HAS GIVEN ME LOT TO FULFIL MY DREAMS AND COMPLETE MY TARGET .... FOR WHICH I AM VERY MUCH GRATEFUL  TO ALLAH AND THE PEOPLE OF SAUDI ARABIA WHO REALLY HELPED ME

AT THE END, I AM VERY THANKFUL TO ALLAH, SECONDLY PEOPLE OF SAUDI ARABIA THEY ARE REALLY REALLY VERY VERY GENTLE TOWARDS ALL EXPATRIATES .... SECONDLY I PRAY FOR ALL EXPATRIATE WHO ARE IN GULF AND OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD 

MAY ALLAH KEEP SAUDI ARABIA AND ITS PEOPLE SAFE AND PEACE

THANK YOU ALL WHO ARE READING THIS MY SHORT AND PERSONAL NOTE .....

GOD BELSS YOU ...
MOHAMMED HYDER

Hi,
Spending your time in Saudi Arabia is not good. I a manner 20 years you work and build this nation but at the end of the day you don't have nationality or benefits. You called as an expatriate at the end of the day.

hyder wrote:

Hi
Since April 1977 till now my life in Saudi Arabia, very very  peaceful, during these period I have traveled almost many many countries but found Saudi Arabia is No.1 country for all categories of peoples, either rich, poor or medium or upper medium income groups. First of Health concern, it is is needed program  to follow regular exerciser, usually either early morning  hours and evening after 6 pm subject to weather conditions.

2. Family welfare, When I landed first day I have made program paying attention to increase Bank Balance and have my own home before marriage. which i have succeeded in 1985 and married same year. in due social responsibility of the family, (taking care of old age parents) wife stay in my home town and manage very very discipline  way. And we plan to give best and vest education to our kids + also to look after our parents.

3. During these period I work hard and hard looking different opportunities and reached  from Office Secretary to  Business Development Manager, in logistics company now.

3. my first daughter born inn 1988, second in 1991 and third in 1995.... First daughter  completed
Engineering Degree in Telecommunication and got married settled with her husband in USA. Second become Doctor (MBBS), and got married and settled with her husband in Dubai. Third student of M.Sc final year and gold medalist in Mathematics and Physics...

4. for myself and my wife we extended our house into 3 floors and two floors rented it is our livelihood till end of our life ALHAMDULILLAH (THANKS GOD).

5. All these activities happens while working in Saudi Arabia, and with hard earnings.

6. one way myself and my wife given much sacrifice SPECIALLY I GIVE ALL CREDIT TO MY WIFE WHO VERY PATIENTLY MANAGE MY HOME AND GIVEN BETTER EDUCATION OUR  KIDS AND TAKEN CARE OF MY PARENTS AND HER MOTHER.

7. during these entire period i have brought my wife and two kids in 2016 on visit visa. But I use to visit home every 3 times in a year for 15 to 20 days and yearly vacation for 40 days...

8. reason of not keeping family with me it is education.. here there is no such convent schools in Saudi Arabia who could give the education to the kids what we prefer.

9. During these period i feel very very easy when week end comes .... I have very limited friends + some relatives to spend times very occasionally not regularly...

10. DURING ALL THESE YEAR AL HAMDULILLAH (BY THE MERCY OF GOD) I STAY VERY VERY HEALTHY...BECAUSE OFFERING PRAYING FIVE TIMES WHICH GIVEN ME MENTALLY PEACE SECOND DOING REGULAR EXERCISE, THIRD TAKING SIMPLE MY OWN HAND PREPARED FOOD MOSTLY VEGETABLES... 

I HAVE PLANT TO RETIRED AT THE END OF 2018 ... AFTER MARRIAGE OF MY LAST DAUGHTER ... AND DURING THIS YEAR I PLAN TO HAVE SMALL AGRICULTURE LAND TO SPEND MY REST OF THE TIME ...

I HAVE LOT OF GOOD MEMORIES OF SAUDI ARABIA ... I HAVE BORN AND EDUCATED AND WORK FEW YEARS IN MY COUNTRY BUT SAUDI ARABIA HAS GIVEN ME LOT TO FULFIL MY DREAMS AND COMPLETE MY TARGET .... FOR WHICH I AM VERY MUCH GRATEFUL  TO ALLAH AND THE PEOPLE OF SAUDI ARABIA WHO REALLY HELPED ME

AT THE END, I AM VERY THANKFUL TO ALLAH, SECONDLY PEOPLE OF SAUDI ARABIA THEY ARE REALLY REALLY VERY VERY GENTLE TOWARDS ALL EXPATRIATES .... SECONDLY I PRAY FOR ALL EXPATRIATE WHO ARE IN GULF AND OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD 

MAY ALLAH KEEP SAUDI ARABIA AND ITS PEOPLE SAFE AND PEACE

THANK YOU ALL WHO ARE READING THIS MY SHORT AND PERSONAL NOTE .....

GOD BELSS YOU ...
MOHAMMED HYDER

Wow sir,
This is really good. Thanks to let us know. And pls pray for all of us to keep Saudi Arabia safe place for both expat and locals

🙏

I am newcomer in KSA and experiencing all initial expat hardships of finding a good house, purchase a good car, good schools for my KIDS, searching some good food and shopping places  last but not least to find some friends for chitchat

I've made new friends and maybe even found a wife! Things were very difficult at first. We work in Hafar Al Batin, there are no taxis or public transport. There are no parks, nothing scenic, it's just shops, construction and houses. The food is excellent but then I knew that from having been in Saudi before. Mentally at times it has been tough, not because of missing family but missing the efficiency of life in England - getting medication for example has been a nightmare here. I have more money than at any time of my life and work is easy though can be challenging. Overall my life has changed a great deal but I don't plan on staying after my contract ends, I will come back in maybe 2-3 years once the transport links improve.

10/10.

its was a difficult cultural move from native place. its look open prison first few months. However  having friends from our country its became normal. but no entertainment in public.

However its good place to if some one continue education while learning. caz no external disturbance and can keep good mental health. also its usually can manage every thing in less cost.

Accommodation are cheap compare to all other gulf countries. government service cannot be satisfy air port telecom services are not friendly at all.

Overall average satisfaction can be obtain.

It totally changed my life. not because of this city or culture, just because someone I met here.

Baybars wrote:

I've made new friends and maybe even found a wife! Things were very difficult at first. We work in Hafar Al Batin, there are no taxis or public transport. There are no parks, nothing scenic, it's just shops, construction and houses. The food is excellent but then I knew that from having been in Saudi before. Mentally at times it has been tough, not because of missing family but missing the efficiency of life in England - getting medication for example has been a nightmare here. I have more money than at any time of my life and work is easy though can be challenging due to the typical laziness of Saudis. Overall my life has changed a great deal but I don't plan on staying after my contract ends, I will come back in maybe 2-3 years once the transport links improve.

10/10.

Yes  I think we are lazy and stupid to hire  nonnative English speaker to teach English in our university then he talks about saudi laziness and how was his job is easy !I am sure your job can be occupied by a young  USA saudi graduate or even Filipino or Indian  nationality at least they are thankful for that

I am a native English speaker and no, a Saudi graduate nor an Indian or Filipino could do my job.

All ESL teachers​ will tell you the same thing, many Saudi students are lazy. Until Saudi's accept that they have a poor work ethic, they will continue their foreigner dependence.

You are a PAKI not native English speaker
you can't label a whole nation With laziness because you met some few lazy students or teachers in a remote small town !
Shame on ministry of education to hire some on with your mentality

It totally changed my life. not because of this city or culture, just because someone I met here.

yes, i accept it changed my life in all my direction thinking, i get more experience in my work Field, i get new friends, i get new cultures. i think i get 7 of 10 for what i looking for.

Hi everyone,

Just to inform you that some inappropriate posts have been removed from this thread.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

MASHAAALLAH

Yes it really change a lot. In job its okey but in socialization  I think it is worst.

Hi! Good day to all members here.
Just imagine, we are here in Saudi Arabia for 38 years now. I don't know how to compare my life in our home country. I built my family here, 2 of my daughter are made in Saudi. They all in the Philippines now. Me and my wife still here and enjoying our life here. I am a motorcycle rider (Harley) and we have no lonely weekend here. There are so many Filipino family here . We enjoy outdoor , specially making some picnics. So,  i can say our life here is good and  maybe most of our family is in the Philippines , but now a days the communication is very easy.
The only advise i can give to all member here, is not to give way your homesickness. Do something even winter or summer. During summer is good to travel in Dammam or in Jubail . I love beaches. we live in Dammam for 20 years. Enjoy and always be happy !!

Danny

Wai Queen wrote:

You really that lucky?

sportyman2 wrote:

saudi arabia get 2/10 ....
if u r an expat then u r not having a good life here, regardless of ur income...

lol, this is exactly why saudi wants saudization because they are tired of listening to complaints like urs.. just ungratefulness

Every expat is welcomed here and thank you for there contributions to this country, and I wish those who complain about life here they just remember they moved here with there free willing and they can leave any time they want .thank you again for every expat in Saudi Arabia

rucksack.frenzy wrote:

I am thankful for the job that i have in Saudi. It's made me much richer than before. In 10 years that I have been here I have learned and earned the virtue of patience. Of being calm and staying composed. Or maybe it's just growing with age !

Downside is, 10 years of experiencing unprofessionalism in the region has made me carefree and lazy.

There is always good and bad in everything . Thanks to be honest.

True, this dream of mostly to stay very short time and settled in our own country.But mostly south east asians dream never fullfill in due continuation families responsibilities. One.after another responsibilities which never allow us to take firm decesion.It is happeningb mostly with south asian.expat.....