Expats hangouts in Cabarete

Hi everyone. I'm very happy to have found this community. I am a New Yorker with Dominican Parents. Even though I've lived most of my life in NYC, I've traveled often to Santo Domingo. I currently live in the Miami area but my boyfriend and I have started to resent the increasing traffic and lack of sense of community in South Florida. We want to live a simpler life full of meaning and friends instead of the rat-race we constantly deal with in the big city. We have considered moving to Sosua, Cabarete or Las Terrenas but would like to connect with people like us who have already made the move. We will be visiting the cabarete and Las Terrenas area on 3/24/2017.

Can you please give us some recommendations on a good Real Estate agent in Cabarete/Sosua who we can meet during this trip and hangout places where we can connect with other expats. Thanks much.

PS. My boyfriend is Israeli... any Jews out there?

Welcome to the forums. Lots of.great i fo here.

Bob will help on the real estate end.  Hangouts - everywhere there are expats -.its high season.

Yes we have jewish people here on the north coast.

Thanks for your reply Planner. My boyfriend will be happy to hear that there might be a chance he'll be able to meet other Jews there. Turns out the Dom Rep was one of the few countries who took in up to 100,000 Jewish immigrants during WWII. He's been to Cabarete in the past and loved it but this will be my first. It was like a breath of fresh air to know that there are communities of expats in the Northern parts of the country. I'm looking forward to our visit.

Hope to hear from Bob. Hopefully, he'll introduce us to other expats and help with the Real Estate so we can make an educated decision on Cabarete or Las Terrenas.

Best regards...

Your boyfriend will find the most interesting stories from second generation of jewish settlers that still live in Sosua...this is a major inheritance we have here, some think of it as historical, I prefer to think of the presence of the jewish here as spiritual.

Wish you and your boyfriend all the best in your plans to move here!!!

Welcome.
We have lived here in the Sosua/Cabarete area for nearly 11 years now and for the first 6 years or so were involved in real estate so I do have some contacts and info.
There is a large Expat community here on the north coast including many Jewish families and many Israelis living in the area.
Are you planning on working here?
Are you planning on getting your residency?
Send me a PM as to what you are looking for from a real estate point of view.
Read the multiple threads here which are loaded with information.
I will be around when you are here so if you want to meet up let me know.

Bob K

And let me caution you about buying! Wait!!! Just rent here for 6 to 12 months. Make sure you like living here first. Make sure you like a specific area first.

Too many stories of people who came, who bought, who didnt like it and were stuck!!!

I agree rent before  you make the decision to buy

Bob K

Hola!! I have been living in Cabarete 5.5 years and it's awesome here! Like the others mentioned, I would rent for at least a year before you buy anything. I waited 3 years, in fact. It's not going to be like you are used to, but you will learn the ways and will be able to figure it out with a little time and patience. I bought my condo with a man named Joe Ciotti from Remax: https://www.facebook.com/joeyciotti Canadian dude and he took good care of us. Tell him Tracy sent you.

Also, this town is almost all ex-pats on the beach side, so you don't need to worry about finding them :) I own a business on kite beach, so PM me and we can meet up for coffee when you get here.

And there are tons of Jews here. There is even a bi-annual kiteboarding group with like 8- people that come to kite beach.

I fell you on the rat race! That's why I ended up here. Anyways, welcome to the foum and PM me for coffee. I'll buy you one at my restaurant :) Take care

Thank you guys for your helpful replies. I'm very happy to read each and every one of your messages.

TGlegal my boyfriend will be thrilled to hear the stories. It is a pleasure to know that some Jews remained in the island. That is for sure a piece of history most people don't know about. He is spiritual and will blend in perfectly with the Dominicans as we both speak Spanish. Tracyatl, I would love to learn some water activities, it looks like so much fun.

I agree with Planner that we need to rent first. I don't think that he wants to wait too long though. I prefer a condo but my boyfriend however, wants to explore the possibility of a home. He is retired and I work in e-commerce so there's no rush. We would like to see some properties in this trip to at least get a good idea of what kind of Real Estate we'll be encountering there.

Thanks for the good wishes. Would love to catch up with some of you this weekend and make good friends there :)

I also work in e-commerce (and I have a watersports school in conjunction with the restaurant). I would advise against a home until you have been here even longer! There are many title issues, first of all, and in Cabarete you need to scout an area and make darn sure you want to live in it and that it's secure. Perla Marina is good and so is Sea Horse Ranch, Costa Azul seems to be getting better, but I would think heavily on places like La Mulatta and Encuentro. Mostly, like I said, because they are off the beaten path.

About the Jews, I know about the connection and partnership. It's for sure not a well known fact,.

Thank you, thank you, thank you... just the kind of info I need. Seriously!!! I appreciate it. Definitely need to catch up. I'll try to convince my boyfriend not to rush into things. I think that the beautiful tropics and the desire for a simpler more meaningful life could push people into rushing into things without the proper information and state of mind. You are right on.

It is more beautiful and in some ways NOT simpler.

When you start to experience that you will see. But that happens really when you are here and not staying as a tourist.  When you cant work because the internet went out and you have to go to "whatever company" 3 or 4 times to get it fixed and you lose 3 days of work. Or you sit at home for 4 days waiting for the furniture to be delivered that is promised every single day. 

It is frustrating, annoying, inefficient etc etc but its soooooo worth it.  Just dont rush it!!!

Like Planner said, there is definitely a give and take...although I would have to say the internet is getting better and honestly, there are very few times that I don't have internet these days. I haven't had to run around to the internet provider in a few years. More that I have to run to a close restaurant to have a skype meeting worst case....but that doesn't even happen that much these days.

There are a lot of things that are simpler and lot of things that take some getting used to. I will honestly never go back to the US. I just had a month long stint and all I could think to myself is, "What are these people doing with their lives."

Anyways, take it easy, keep your head low for a while, have fun and enjoy some freedom, but be aware that this is not your country, so don't treat it like it is. It has it's own set of nuances that are not for everyone. But that is the case with every country and every state or city for that matter in the US.

LOL... Planner, I've experience all those frustrations here in South Florida. I guess the island vibe is more lay back "get to the client when you get to it". But, I can deal with that. My concern really, is the noise, disorder, healthcare and garbage. Tracyatl, I've wondered the same thing myself. But, I guess I have to experience it to know what I can live with and what not. Thanks guys.

Healthcare is actually very good if you have private insurance. I run a group through Humano if you want info just let me know.

Noise - get used to it.
Disorder -  get used to it.
Garbage -  makes me nuts get used to it but take steps to help. 

Its all about being adaptable. And of course our ability can  waver from day to day. Today is one of those days -  torrential rain interfered with some serious plans for tonight!!!!!

In order to keep a city clean collaboration between residents, government and the local garbage companies is a must. But I got the message. Thank you Planner for the heads up. I will definitely keep you in mind for healthcare.

Key word is adaptable. 
Lots of things you take for granite back in the states that does not happen here.  But you adapt.

Bob K

Omg love that slip/tuping error. That gave me a good giggle.

At the moment there is no political will to clean this country up. We can lead by example, help when possible.....

There's a cute little area near playa grande called "Abreu" which is (we were told) a name based off the Spanish for Hebrew.  I heard there are some jewish expats and Dominicans around...but, if you're coming from Miami, I bet you'll Like Las Terrenas or Sosua areas...

Everything with you gringos is "yeah you are going to have to adapt..." yes its true, if you move to the freaking monte of course its not going to be always nice  :lol:

In Santo Domingo I dont have to "adapt" to not having internet, garbage or public transportation. Its like you moving to the states to freaking Mississippi XD.

Hi. New to town. Looking for private health insurance. Can u help with suggestions? Thanks