Radiation from Fukushima affecting Ecuador?

Is Radiation from Fukushima affecting Ecuador waters yet?  Early on I looked at currents and it looked like it would take a long time, plus the Humboldt current coming up from the south should help. Is anyone testing the waters and/or the fish?

I think nobody in Ecuador, private or government, is testing the waters for radiation.

I saw some satellite images that show the radiation is already here but hard to tell they are real or not.

I think the radiation is already here due the accident happened many years ago and Fukushima is still leaking radiation onto the ocean.

vinny66 wrote:

I think nobody in Ecuador, private or government, is testing the waters for radiation....

Fukushima is still leaking radiation onto the ocean.

Six years to the month (March 2011) after a 9.0 earthquake and tsunami caused the world's worst nuclear accident -- a triple meltdown at Fukushima -- attempts to decommission the ruined facilities there are still failing. 

This disaster is an indictment of the nuclear industry's claims of safety .. and remains a vast threat to public health worldwide.

Nevertheless, this belief that waters off Ecuador* are not being tested by the government and the private sector .. is not credible.

The question is not whether the government and industry are testing the Pacific waters, but what are they finding?

cccmedia

* Or, per the OP, fish caught offshore near South America.

Anyways, if the government do some test and find out there is high levels of radiation will do nothing about it.
They are not going to ban fishing, it will ruin thousands of fisherman's, restaurants, export business...

cccmedia wrote:

Six years to the month (March 2011) after a 9.0 earthquake and tsunami caused the world's worst nuclear accident -- a triple meltdown at Fukushima -- attempts to decommission the ruined facilities there are still failing. 

This disaster is an indictment of the nuclear industry's claims of safety .. and remains a vast threat to public health worldwide.

cccmedia

TEPCO and the Japanese government took incompetence, stupidity, and corruption to a whole new level with the Fukushima disaster. Putting a facility near coastline with a history of tsunami's reaks of stupidity. By the way more than 22,000 were killed from the tsunami itself. Then TEPCO and government tried to downplay, and hide any pertinent information from the global community that was trying to help in anyway possible, in keeping damage to minimum. Then some TEPCO higher ups, and some Japanese oficials wanted to runaway, and just abandon the whole situation, and let whatever was to come of it come. Was a situation that should have been contained with minimal damage,that quickly became a situation like the movie The China Syndrome. Hard to tell what the final global impact will be. Probably isn't going to be good.

vinny66 wrote:

If the government do some test and find out there is high levels of radiation will do nothing about it.
They are not going to ban fishing, it will ruin thousands of fisherman's, restaurants, export business...

Poisoning millions trumps the future of fishermen's financial livelihoods as far as a threat to mankind.

Even low levels of radiation are potentially cancer-causing.

cccmedia

vinny66 wrote:

Anyways, if the government do some test and find out there is high levels of radiation will do nothing about it.

If you think Ecuador doesn't check for radiation then you probably think the U.S., UK, EU and 30 other countries don't check for radiation either because Ecuador exports tons of seafood to these nations.

Ecuador exports a lot of seafood to the world

Maybe they are checking for radiation levels, but I didn't hear of any scientific report or investigation about the radiation on Ecuadorian waters or other coastal areas.
So, maybe there is no radiation ??

I remember when the accident at Chernobyl happened, tons of milk were dumped around Europe, but many people and ecologists thought it wasn't enough. What about all the vegetables, fruits ?
The French Ministry of Agriculture tried to deny that the radiation affected his country so is not that we can trust governments about this kind of issues.

They were accusations  that the contaminated milk from Europe was sold in Mexico and Africa.

vinny66 wrote:

Maybe they are checking for radiation levels, but I didn't hear of any scientific report or investigation about the radiation on Ecuadorian waters or other coastal areas.
So, maybe there is no radiation ??

I remember when the accident at Chernobyl happened, tons of milk were dumped around Europe, but many people and ecologists thought it wasn't enough. What about all the vegetables, fruits ?
The French Ministry of Agriculture tried to deny that the radiation affected his country so is not that we can trust governments about this kind of issues.

They were accusations  that the contaminated milk from Europe was sold in Mexico and Africa.

I think being cautious is a good thing but we shouldn't resort to conjecture. I assumed countries importing Ecuador's seafood were conducting tests because this is protocol for many health departments in many countries. This happened during the mad cow disease, foot and mouth disease, bird flu, etc in which governments stopped importing from countries that had contaminated products.

The risks clearly outweigh the meager benefits. The cost of treating someone with a serious illness is exorbitant in the developing world.

Omg, I am literally astounded that you think ecuador or any other country, to their defense, gives 2 xxx what happens to any physical human being.  Ecuador, as well as most Latin American countries, are in such dire need of money, they don't give one xxx about contamination and what's at risk.  If anyone has done any research, ecuador is so in debt to china for oil, that it costs them money to fulfill their oil obligation to china to keep up production.  I just had an in depth translated conversation with the head of my security of my development.  He works 40 hours a week for $517 a month and that's well above minimum wage and he thinks that a liberal govt is the best thing for this country.  I guesstimated what he would make in a city like Miami and he was so shocked he had no words.  I told him more international jobs for your country equals higher wages and a better way of life.  I don't think he really cared, we of course, with him outside my gate, and upon his request and multiple shots and smokes, and google translate, made much headway on what international jobs would do for wages here.  I told him I was estimating low on what his salary would be in the US and he was totally shocked.  He was a victim of an assault from a female when he refused to let her into our community to attend a party.  He had a gun drawn on him and his nose broken very badly.  You can see the visual damage to his face.  Our HOA paid for the initial ER visit and is now refusing to pay for further medical care.  When I explained that in the US, he could sue for major damages he was shocked.  Our little "party" was broken up by the police who were driving thru looking for him, as they are his friends.  It's a totally diff world here and if you walk the beach and pay close attention, you will see that the big condo buildings have sewer pipes that run into the ocean.  Nuclear problems are the least of your worries if you are eating seafood from foreign countries.  When you have Ecuadorians that tell you not to enter the water on the Malecon, you have bigger things to fear as these people don't even filter their water or have hot water running into their houses.  It's a diff culture here and even in the US, you have no real idea where your food sources are coming from.  I know this, as manta is the tuna capital of the world.  Enjoy your seafood!!