Got an invitation for a job interview in Vietnam

I have applied for a job in PetroVietnam, and today I got an invitation for a job interview. However, I am a bit worried that this is a fraud. I am informed that I could either pay may planeticket myself and then get it refunded, or I could pay the amount of 420 USD and then the company will do all arrangements. The job ad seems OK, the e-mail comes fram a PetroVietnam domene, but still; to pay 420 USD in anvance an blablabla sound a bit... Well, not quite correct. Anyone got experience with this? How does it work? I live in Norway, and the travel to Hanoi os both expensive og long...

Welcome to Expat.com hansen4085 :)

Your post has been introduced in a new discussion thread for better visibility. Normally, I will suggest you not to send money in advance. This sounds suspicious. May be other members will also comment & share their experience soon.

Regards

Sound suspicious, if you really did apply then check it by calling their landline number to confirmed the invitation for a job interview. If it is confirmed then the company should refund the ticket usually if you are hired. But then if you failed the interview what will happened, you will only ended up spending money for nothing.  regards..

Sound suspicious?? Ah yes it sure does. I would be calling them before I made any travel plans. Really kind of strange that they would even ask you to do it. They are a very large company here in Vietnam. I'm sure they do video conferences or they should. Watch out my friend something doesn't taste right.

Hi Hansen4085,

It sounds very suspicious! I will suggest you not to pay any money in advance.

Why don't you ask them if you can have an interview through Skype that way they can see you through the camera and interact with you through phone.

Good luck with the interview,
May

I'd be very concerned of any company that was offering to refund my expenses, and then offer to arrange it for you if you paid them first.
I know of the company (they are a big company) but even so it all sounds a little odd. As others have said offer to talk to them via Skype (I've held several interviews this way) but that aside it's a long way to travel for just for an interview?
I would seek some sort of clarification as it may have just got mixed up in translation.

Here is my thought...
The process of interview is not simple as you thought.
First, both parties will exchange information through emails.
Second, if your qualifications meet or exceed the job requirement, the hiring company will attempt to contact you by telephone. A conference call between you and the hiring company might be occurred. Then if they decide that you are the candidate for the job then perhaps, a face-to-face interview might be arranged where you are invited to fly in to meet with its officer as a final phase. If this is the case, the hiring company will pay for all expenses incurred, from airline ticket to lodging during your visit. If anyone approach you and ask for money upfront. They are either head hunter wants to collect its fee upfront or it is a scamp. I advice you to stay away them as far as possible.
Good luck to your hunting job.
Regards,

Steven

What kind of jobs are you applying , and which country are you from?

Hi Steve,

I was born in Vietnam but educated in USA. I am US Citizen now.
I can speak and write both English and Vietnamese fluently.

I came from Southern California, temporary living in HCM City.
I am seeking for position as CEO, Deputy CEO, Sales Director or Marketing Manager if one is available.

Please let me know what area of expertise and position are you looking to fill?
Regards,

Steven

I also got the same interview as yours, and right now, im in the middle to investigate whether the email is true or not,btw, im from Malaysia

hey there... i got the same offer...
but i dont know whether to believe or nt...
bt it seems so real..
neway, im from Malaysia as well...
can anyone enlighten me about this?

I'm just an old timer from alberta Canada , but we have a couple of sayings that seem to fit the occasion.#!If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it probably is one. #2If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. This is obviously a scam. Tell these guys to scram.

Thanks..
I was quite happy due to I applied the job from an email add i got from a jobs vacancy website...
i am fresh grad, and thought i could be starting my job in oil & gas.. guess i wont now...

I myself also received that kind of invitation. I've searched many times for the said invitation if it's a scam but failed to prove it. What is my next move now is to call the telephone number of the company if its true or not. Also, I am so curious about the website of petrovietnam since i cannot find the career link. Keep you update.