Coffee Bean Fungus?

Hello,  we have recently returned to Sosua after a 7 month absence.   It's great to be back!   However, since returning I find that the Santo Domingo Coffee does not taste as good as last time we were here.   I mentioned this to a local coffee shop owner and she told me there has been a coffee bean fungus problem and that the Santo Domingo Coffee Company is mixing coffee beans from Vietnam in with the Dominican beans!  Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?  Thank You!  DiMarsha

Funny we got back home yesterday and this morning my wife said "the coffee  tastes different"
Bob K

I have not heard of this but is worth asking about. 

Seems to me if this were true then prices would be going up.  Lets see if we can find out!

Cafe Santo Domingo has another variety of coffee at the market,   it has an orange coloured trim on the bag and it is called:  Caracolillo Molido......   I was told that this one is more like real dominican coffee.   I have purchased a bag to try and I will let you know how it is.....

We usually use Induban (darker roast of Santo Domingo coffee) but having a hard time finding it.  Especially in grano.  Usually  buy it off the truck but have not seen him around the last few days

Bob K

I used to like it.........I just purchased 2 large bags of it at Janet's.    You are welcome to it, Bob!  We live at Casa Linda if you want to take it!

You don't like the Induban any more?
Yes I could use some. 
I will PM you

Bob K

From DR NEWS 1

In a surprising development, the Dominican Coffee Confederation (Concafed) has announced that most of the coffee currently sold in the Dominican Republic is now imported, due to the collapse of domestic coffee production.

The secretary general of Concafed, Carlos Ramirez said that 70% of the 30,000 families that make a living off coffee growing are living in poverty, and of those, 24% in extreme poverty. From a peak production of 1,300,000 quintals or hundred weight (cwt), production is down to 250,000 cwt a year, with an estimated average yield of 10 to 15 lbs per tarea (1 tarea = 629 square meters).

He attributed the collapse of the coffee farms to the coffee rust virus and the lack of attention from the governmental agriculture authorities. He said coffee plantations need to be renovated, but the sector does not have funding or access to technical assistance. As a result, in recent years coffee production has significantly declined.

"To make matters worse, there is a bill in congress that proposes that producers not participate in the drafting of coffee policies,” alerted Ramírez. He said this bill would only make a bad situation worse. Ramirez said the producers have been requesting a meeting with President Medina for months so that small and medium-sized producers can explain the factors that have created this crisis in the coffee sector. He warned that if the President refuses to meet with the growers, Concafed will be obligated to organize protests in front of the Presidential Palace.

Thanks for the update. So its true. Coffee prices did go up in the fall and stabilized, i guess this is the price of imported coffee! How sad that the gov't is not helping.

Yep saw that this morning and shocked and disappointed.

Bob K

On Sunday, 30 April 2017, President Danilo Medina announced an investment of RD$2 billion for the Association of Coffee Producers Project that works with growers in the communities of Polo, Paraíso and Enriquillo in southwestern Barahona.

In his usual Sunday visit, Medina said this investment would benefit 1,800 coffee growers or around 7,200 when the families of the beneficiaries are included. He said that the financing will be expanded to include another 2,000 tareas (1 tarea = 629 square meters). Medina mentioned that the additional financial resources (in a form of a loan) may be provided by the International Development Bank (IDB).  But if IDB does not approve the loan package, the Dominican government would find another way to fund the project.

He also announced that the government would work with local communities to reforest lands near the source of the Nizaito River. The government will establish six nurseries to produce plants that will be used in the reforestation project. President Medina instructed the planting of 8,000 tareas with native species of cedar, oak, mahogany, almond, palm heart and silky oak.

The coffee project includes the planting of 54,000 tareas of coffee varieties that are resistant to coffee blight. The project plans to train farmers in new coffee production techniques. Finally, President Medina promised to order the repair of 70 km of secondary roads in the region.

The President was accompanied by Administrative Minister of the Presidency, José Ramón Peralta; Agriculture Minister Ángel Estévez; Environment Minister, Francisco Domínguez Brito, among others.

Source: DR1, Listindiario

May 2, 2017

Category: DR News |
Share: FacebookTwitterStumpleUpon
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.

Last updated May 7, 2017 at 10:31 PM

Thanks for the update. While this is a good step we all need to understand that many of these promises never get fully funded or carried out. Lets cross our fingers.

In searching the product available I found only Cafe Monte Real states it is 99% dominican coffee. It is currently 10 RD per pound more than cafe Santo Domingo. Well worth it to support local growers.

Yes, lets hope so!  I will look for the Cafe Monte Real!

Its really good!!!!!

I will also give it a try

Bob K

Yes!  Just  opened our first bag of Cafe  Monte Real!   Have to  say  it is the best coffee!

Glad you like it too. We muct now keep this a secret or everyone is going to want it!!!