Is there public laundry in Santo Domingo?

I'm moving to Santo Domingo next month for 6 to 12 months.  I was there a few weeks this spring. I had a problem about laundry because I could not find public laundry.  Apartment hotel had laundry but they counted each item.  Sounds ridiculous! I don't have plan to buy washer/dryer for only a year.  Therefore, I want to know where I will be able to use washer/dryer.  I really need dryer.  Thank you for taking your time.

Welcome on board of Expat.com, Cocodarling!
Let's hope you'll quickly get some replies.
Cheers
Arlette

Three aree numerous places here on the norht coast so I assume it is the same in SD that charge by the pound not per item. However if you are going to be here for a year it may pay to invest (you probably will save money over the long haul) and purchase a "Dominican Washer", which is a two tub machine (one wash and one rinse)that will hook up to yor sink.  They are relativly inexpensive, do a good job, easy to learn how to use and when you are done you can sell it probably for 1/2 of what you paid for it, which will actually leave you ahead on $$ for the year.

Bob K

You might consider this option: pay someone to do your laundry. It isn't really expensive. I don't mean a professional laundry service, just a housewife who wants to make a little money. You need to ask someone you can trust there what would be a reasonable price to pay, and if they can recommend someone personally. (If you ask hotel staff, expect the price to be much higher than normal.) The woman will wash your clothes then hang them out to dry. Dryers are still a very new thing there and a lot of Dominicans have never even seen one. Only the very wealthy, and businesses have them.

Wouldn't you know, I was considering investing in a laundry service in Santo Domingo. Any ideas?

Honey this thread is a few years old.