My Visit To Santo Domingo

Hi community it has taken me near three months to get back in here and report, as it were, my opinion of the Dominican Republic. I have been extremely busy with work and projects (book) that I genuinely couldn't find time to get back in here. This is my first weekend away from work this year.
I visited Santo Domingo in December.
The journey from the airport was in the evening. They took photo's and finger prints of every passenger that came through the airport. And I took a taxi to my hotel in the colonial zone.
It was upon entering into Santo Domingo that I came to the conclusion I had left planet earth. And arrived on Mars. A motorcycle with the driver and two passengers passed by my taxi. Followed by vehicles without doors, bonnets and front gills missing. Thank goodness I wasn't a sales person for the M.O.T (vehicle test) as at first impression I was convinced there couldn't be vehicle test in the Dominican Republic. The traffic leading into the colonial zone was like something from the film 'Mad Max'!
By the time I got to my hotel I was tired from the flight and a little confused by what I'd seen so far. The heat was stifling and I knew would take some getting used to.
Anyway I met my friend the following morning, the purpose of my visit, and together we walked the colonial zone. My biggest draw back while in Santo Domingo was not being able to speak Spanish. I picked a little of it up as I went along, and luckily I brought along one of those technological wizardry of invention- a mobile phone translator.
Great stuff.
Not being able to speak Spanish kind of kept me on the outside, and it was difficult to strike up meaningful conversation with people I'd come into contact with in the street/ colonial zone. The hotel staff had a great grasp of English, luckily, and it was here I made some meaningful relationships with them.
I ventured out on my own and walked the streets during day time away from the colonial zone. I went to the british embassy, some walk that was. And back, in the heat (for me). I could have taken a taxi but I wanted to walk and see/ feel the city and its people. Santo Domingo is very different at one point I got lost but new enough Spanish to ask a traffic policeman for directions!
Next day I walked along the outside of the colonial zone wall which was very impressive. I was beginning to settle and felt calmer. Being a lone European walking along the sea front I felt a bit naked, and was set upon by an old, same age as me 60's, guy who wanted to know where I came from. Unable to hold a meaningful conversation I kept going.
Much of my time was spent in or around the hotel and the colonial zone. Eventually I took to strolling the shops, ate at a few restaurants and asked for directions as well as I could do. It was a purpose, one at least, to visit the city- and not sit in a tourist hell hole and not get to see real Dominican Republic people and how they live. 
Life is very different in Santo Domingo, and I understand working there would be a real challenge I'm a trades person and that would be the first obstacle to finding work. Even so there are certain paths into work there.
I did find that I enjoyed my stay, and I have seen nothing yet of the country, until I can speak Spanish which I'm in the process of learning. I will be returning in June or July, and looking forward to it too. If I can break the language barrier I know that the country holds a gem of a people, and great experiences.

Glad  you had a good time overall.  SD is a big, busy, congested city but has a lot to offer. Me I could not live there.

Next time you need to explore some of the country outside of SD.

Bob K

Thanks Bob I certainly will

Bill

Why everyone is so impressed by the way we drive and the conditions of the vehicles in Santo Domingo, for me it was totally normal. Now having been reading you all gringos for like the past 2 years is like little by little I came to the conclusion I live in hell heheh.

Is like the standards for "good things" were pretty low and I dindt know what actually good things were u.u

Thanks RDE1000
Yes the DR is a very unique country- for someone like my self visiting for the first time everything seemed like the cosmos when it first exploded into being. A country with a haphazard direction in all that could be seen in the nine days I was there. And I know from past travels one can't judge a country in such a short space of time- one had to live there first, to understand and people or country.
I think if you came to Europe you would impressed by the standards you mention, but also you would become bored senseless with mundaneness of life. The united kingdom where I live can be called a sweat shop, because people are put under immense pressure in work. When did you ever see a happy smile English person going about there business. Yes they work hard, ad do people in Europe but this also takes away the time to express true freedom of expression, which is found lacking in European life today, believe it or not
So with so called standards there comes a price. Which is why many of us seek somewhere different that does not exude pressure.
Such a place hopefully is the Dominican Republic.
P.S. Calling whites gringos is not politically correct, and you could get into a lot of trouble in the united kingdom if you went about calling people that here (it can be branded as racism!)-childish hey! But that is some of the rubbish we have developed into European society that has become a great draw back.
So I say this to you RDE1000 relish and swim in the difference you have from my country, cos it is truly wonderful you have not, yet, been covered in our chains of self inflicted bondage. Such is the way of live in the misery that is Europe!

It may be safe to say it is not about us individually. I doubt very much the Dominican culture and it's native habitants invest time in the occupied thought of how we view or co exist with them. They are motivated by survial instincts as we are. We are surviving perhaps bordem and that is why we explore or venture beyond our native frontier. The native of the DR recognize that  many will never venture beyond this island let alone their city. It is a day to day progress of pushing with a degree of reckless abandon that gives hope and self respect to a Dominican.

This is true of people all around the world. I sometimes think that those who have never travelled, but found love, a happy family they are the ones who are blessed with Godly fortune.
Anyway I will return soon, and have a look around the island for certain.

Well said,  Bill. The truth.