Now look at my situation and please give me some advice

I'm Canadian/French and already live in Denmark. Have done so since late 2005. I have a CPR number, I have a job, I took all Danish classes and passed all language exams. I'm a few years away from being eligible for citizenship. I have a girlfriend and even a little baby girl.

So what's my issue? Well, I have no career.

Back in Canada, I did go to university, but not knowing what I wanted to do in life, I have a worthless bachelor's degree.
As work, I would paint. Paint store windows, murals and even people. It was fun, and I lived in a city where this was possible. Things are different in Denmark. It was still an irregular source of income so it's not an option as a family man.

I currently work at a newspaper and while any work experience is an asset, it's not a career so I can't do this forever.

Realistically, I'm probably not returning to university and earn a master's degree. It would take too much time. So I am willing to settle for less. Maybe a vocational school or something like that. Not sure what position to aim for though.

I must point out that money is not that important to me. I just want a fairly stable job and be able to build a decent nest egg for the next 25-30 years.

Hi Averageguy,

While I understand where you stand, I have to say that life is what we make of it, you have to identify the things that you love to do and explore them that is the only way you can at least get a grasp on where your passion lies.

I know this is irrelevant to your post but I would like to improve my French language abilities, so if your up for it, I can do some damage in French :-)

I hope I was remotely able to cheer you up.

Bonne Chance.

Yeah, it is kinda irrelevant. :) Essentially, I'm beyond the point of finding out what I like and want to get serious instead.

In a concise and direct version of my OP, what I want to know is 3 things: where are the labour shortages in Denmark, which of these doesn't require an eternity in school/university/tradeschool and which of these is fairly future-proof?

The latter point I can expand. For example, I work at a newspaper and have some layout experience without the certified Danish education for it. I'd be relunctant to pursue this path because I fear the long-term future of paper media. On the flipside, as long as there are houses, Im pretty sure electricians and plumbers will be needed.

P.S. Je parle très peu français au Danemark parce qu'il y a peu de francophones et peu de francophiles vraiment aptes à parler la langue.

D'accord, je comprends :-)

I am new in Denmark and certainly do not have a comprehensive knowledge of the sectors where there are job shortages or where you can have job stability without the relevant education. If you can speak Danish and do not mind doing menial jobs that don't require education and offer stability in factories and warehouses, then that might be an option to explore. You can check websites like moment.dk

Hopefully someone else who has a better knowledge about your question and the relevant answers you seek, would reply to your post.

CHEERS

I first started working in factories as a temp but found the position too precarious. Yes, it was boring too, but that's factory work. :)

I am grateful for the current newspaper job as I consider it easy and fairly stable which makes the path to citizenship a breeze. But I'm starting to seriously consider what to do after that point.

How about taking short course from KTS (Københavns Tekniske Skole) and so on (I think KTS have changed name, but try google).

I don't know what your interest is, so it was just a suggestion. There's supposed to be 6-month course or 1-year course but unfortunately I doubt it'd change your "career path". However, I totally understand the part that taking a master's degree would take too long time.

Maybe talk to someone in the kommune, jobcenter (I know, not a really good suggestion but if you're lucky, you'd probably find someone who really care?) and talk about it. They usually know the options.