Ridiculous Electric Bill

I recently received an $800 electric bill. Usual bill is $180 to $200. Has anyone else experienced this? We don't have parties and we're always out. I've called AEE twice just for them to hang up on me after speaking to a person.

Better go in person or use the new complaint process. I read this happening a lot lately due to their reading methods. Compare your usage with the meter reading.

Take a picture of your meter and compare to the previous reading from the last bill. Show them both.

Make sure the meter numbers show on your pictures. Request a new reading if you notice discrepancies.

Several issues (around my area) have occurred from what is 'assumed' usage. Good advise given. Bring your bills and a picture of the meter reading.

There was a recent case of a family that received an 85 thousand electric bill.
Count your blessings  :lol:

After 2 hours of waiting and getting hung up on I finally received help. They're coming out to check the meter Friday. I'm in CA right now and was not expecting that in an email.

Turns out they were estimating our usage and not reading the meter. Average bill $300+ per month.  :mad: Backbilled the past 4 months usage. Now I really miss our CA home with solar panels and with $50 monthly electric bill.

Justpeachyy wrote:

Turns out they were estimating our usage and not reading the meter. Average bill $300+ per month.  :mad: Backbilled the past 4 months usage. Now I really miss our CA home with solar panels and with $50 monthly electric bill.

You are using over 1,300 KWH a month?
WOW

We keep an eye on our house meter, even thou they say is read remotely we always compare it to the actual reading. Still $300+ a month is very high.

The house were renting does not have any  energy efficient appliances and of course all electric and very outdated. I'm always out with my kid and AC is only ran when the husband is home from work.

Are you running central ac? Windows units?  We installed inverters and our bill is always less than $50. Close to $25 when we are in the states.  Been the house all electric, your bill will be high. Unfortunately in rental properties the owners want to do it the cheapest way.

Yeah I started putting it all together when I cleaned before moving in. They put silicone over mold in the bathrooms and there was mold on the window curtains in the kitchen area. The house has those split ACs that are high up on the wal. One is small, the other is about 6ft long 3ft wide.

If you have those two units for the whole house that's your main culprit. Houses in the island are not insulated for central AC. Two units, unless they are 24-3600btus are too small and will be working over time to try to compensate. Add to that the low efficiency appliances. You may want to try and have someone check that the ac are the correct size and are cleaned regularly. Even with the house been a rental LED lights and using the ac less may help.

I checked ours and since the last reading, we have used 96kWh and the next reading in schedule for March 16th.