How to make friends in Luxembourg

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals and other expats) when you're living in Luxembourg :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Luxembourg??

Thanks in advance for your participation

This may be helpful to women in a position similar to me - I am a SAHM of 2 little kids.  We moved to Lux on a 2 year contract with my husband's job. 

I've met almost all my friends through my daughter's school.  It is an international school so there are many people there in similar situations to us.  I've also met people through The American Women's Club.  You don't have to be an American to join.  They offer many activities and opportunities to socialize.  I've heard good things about The British Ladies Club as well.  Again, you don't have to be English to join. 

Here is the AWC's address:
awcluxembourg.com

And do you know the most famous bars or pubs? I would like to invite my spanish friends, and then I would like they enjoy themseves !

I have this idea in my head that the American Women's Club or the British Women's Club is primarily made up of older women... is this true? are there any young people in the clubs? or does anyone have any ideas how to meet young people (just friendly)?

Being a luxembourgish guy myself I can only agree with othmane , the best bet would be going out to a pub like "The Tube" in city center where most people will be english speaking (yes even some luxembourgish people :) ) of course depending on personal preferences there are the "Pygmalian"  and "Maybe not Bob's"  in clausen  and of course "Black Stuff" Other than that I can say that a lot of luxembourgish folk are simply a bit embarrassed of speaking anything other than luxembourgish and therefore tend to prefer staying in their community. An other possibility would be to check  the Couchsurfing community here in Luxembourg which are really open minded and get together rather often.

Well in any case if ya need any help at all don't hesitate and send me a message.Will you be working here in Lux?

We could just organize a meet up with the people from this forum, if you'd like. (I'm the girlfried of Othmane btw). Would be nice to meet some anglophones in their 20s-30s:)

Ok, great! Just send me an e-mail: [email protected]

If anybody else wants to join, feel free! We could meet up for a drink or so, outdoors or if the weather does not allow it, we can head for the grund or clausen (the neighborhoods with bars:-))

That's  an awesome idea!
I'm moving to Luxembourg at the beginning/mid September. So it would be great to hang out with you guys

I think that's a brilliant idea  I'll try to come along aswell.

@manekina, do you already know when you will arrive in Luxembourg? So we can fix a date for the forum meet-up:-)

I just moved here and am up for a drink some time.

M.

Hi I'm Nazim. Been in Lux for about 6 months, met Silvia and Othmane at Liquid one evening through Couchsurfing. Was cool to see the community here is really large and multicultural, and we've managed to get things moving through Couchsurfing.

Perhaps if anyone is up for it, we could try to organize some more random friendly events (road trips, wine tasting, nights out, gigs, etc) in Lux outside the control of any website or community. We could just meet up as people and enjoy good times in Lux.

Please reply with ideas if you're interested. I live near the Black Stuff so pretty central. Can meet up anywhere.

Cheers,

Naz

Hi Nazim. I found the CS group and the Liquid event tomorrow.

It's too bad the expat discussions are spread out over so many sites... here, justlanded, angloinfo, etc. I hadn't even thought to look at CS yet.

I do think it's nice to have the events posted on a website somewhere so that new people can find them. If you switch to email, it'll be hidden unless a new arriver already knows someone in the group.

I'll try to make the drinks tomorrow night at Liquid, maybe see you there. Does someone bring a couch so you are easy to find? :-) :-)

Haha, no one travels with a couch on their backs, but we're usually easy enough to find. Many of us come early at Liquid (around 7/7:30 when it's still early). Can be anywhere between 2 and 30 of us so look out for small and big groups.

We're usually seated at the back in the big white comfy couches where loud conversation in all languages (English, Spanish, Luxembourgish, Franch, Arabic etc...) emanate from.

I can only recommend to join us. The practicalities of how to join websites, being a member etc are not important. What matters is to have a group of people, have a good time together, and find a way to stay in touch and coordinate what and when to do things.

Hope to see as many of you tomorrow.

N

@Silvia, i was in luxembourg today and found an apartment. so, i'm moving in on September 15
i'll be happy to join you on the forum meet up ;)

Every Thursdays a large group of expats meet at Liquid.

You should come by and I guarantee you will meet a lot of people from all parts of the world.

I just moved to Luxembourg a month ago and have been very lucky to meet a lot of cool people in here...

So, see you all every Thursday at Liquid...

cheers,
Mario

Hey you guys, hi Nazim and Mario:-D

It's true that quite recently I have been to my first CS meeting in Luxembourg, it's a nice bunch of people and I'm basically there every thursday now.

I didn't really think about proposing to meet up there, but we can do that. The meetings are ussually on thursday at Liquid. However, if you'd prefer to meet up with a small(er) group, we can also do that. What do you think?

Hi, ashley?

I can only recommend you go to Liquid this Thurday at 7pm and I guarantee you will meet people...MANY people...

Let me know if you wanna go and I'll meet up with you...

cheers,
Mario

Hi there,
For Mums with little ones, the British Ladies Club do lots of activities in the mornings and afternoons which is great way to meet other Mums: blc.lu/parents_&_children.html

And no the BLC isn't just for older ladies. There are all sorts of activities for all ages.

I found it a great way to meet people when I started my second maternity leave at home with two children.

Mumto2

Is there still any interest in a forum meeting? I didn't see any of you at the CS meeting, but then again, there were quite some people, and I missed one meeting due to a persistent flu..

Today we are meeting at The Tube from 7pm so everyone is welcomed to come and meet people from all around the world.

cheers,
Mario

hello, I live in Belgium, but will be in Lux on Wednesday late afternoon. I do not know much about Lux, but would be nice to meet cool people. I can fix a time close to the train station or If i have directions, can just go there:) is there any possible interest?:) Hany

Hello,

I have recently moved to Luxembourg with my boyfriend and we were looking to meet some new friends!:D

Annmarie

Annemarie,

I recommend you go today to Liquid where there is a couchsurfing meeting and lots of expats to meet.

If not this week, every Wednesday or Thursday they meet so will keep you posted.

cheers,
Mario

Marius,

Thank you for the invite. I am unable to come today but may try and come next week!
Thanks

Annmarie:)

Hey,

I am moving over to Lux in about 2 weeks and don't know anyone.

Any suggestions of where to meet people?

thanks
Ranj

sure, there is one this week in Liquid at the Grund on wednesday and at Fubar (think I spelled this incorrectly) on thursday. The one on Thursday should have more people, but I will probably go with some friends only to the Liquid one.

see ya...

Hi everyone,

I recently moved to Luxembourg as well and I love the variety of nationalities. I'm very interested in meeting new people, too bad I missed out on tonight's meeting. I would be very pleased to to meet some people from this forum. Could we set something up?

Greetz

Roel

lielie2010 wrote:

Hi,

I will be in Lux on Sunday - Tuesday... Anyone wanting to meet for a drink after work or even on Sunday, seeing that Monday is a public holiday :>(sorry won't be there for next Thursday).
Regards, la

Hi,

I would be glad to go for a drink Monday or Tuesday evening! I leave you the choice. Would be great if others could join as well.

Hey!!

Yes, we are up for it! We're here this long weekend, so just propose a day, place and time!

Cheers,
Silvia

Well, I am currently not in Luxembourg as I am visiting family for the long weekend. I will return on Monday but I'm not sure yet how late. I suggest we meet Tuesday evening and I leave the choice of time and location to you.

Roel

Actually, could we eventually move it to Wednesday? Would be much more convenient for us.

Cheers,
Silvia

Would it suit both of you when we make it tomorrow? I can arrange to be back in Luxembourg on time. Otherwise both Tuesday and Wednesday are fine for me.

Roel

Shall we just make it Friday the 12th then? Urban, 7.30PM?

How do we exchange photos? Or how do we recognize you?

Cheers,
Silvia

I know I'm making this kind of difficult now, but I'm not sure whether I'll be able to make it the 12th. I can't tell for sure yet. If one of you (or both) is still up for a drink this week, just let me know. From my side, I'll see what I can do for the 12th.

Roel

Hi,

Good news: I'll be able to make it Friday evening. I hope the meeting is still standing. Are there any more people joining?

I'll look for a recent picture of myself to upload. If I don't find one, I'll let you know what I'll be wearing.

Looking forward to Friday!

Grtz

Roel

Hi Leigh-Ann,

Got home quite late last night so I didn't look for a picture on my laptop anymore. Tonight I'll be having diner with some colleagues so I'll be home late as well.

I'll be wearing a grey suit and a black shirt tomorrow. I'm sure we'll find eachother.

CU tomorrow

Roel

Guys,

I will try to make it, but I'm not sure if I will (work, work, stress, stress).

Hopefully see you later,
Silvia

Friday night was great. It's a shame you couldn't make Silvia. Anyway I am very much up for another meeting. Hopefully with some more expat-bloggers. Anyone a suggestion which date we set?

Greetz

Roel