A couple questions, thanks in advance

Hello everyone,

Have a few questions. Hope I am not repeating questions already asked.

1.) Can someone tell me the most updated information about health insurance in Ecuador? - rates per month, website for such info.
2.) We are ringing very little with us, no furniture, etc. Are there items you left behind that you wish you would have brought as they may expensive to ship and/or hard to find in Ecuador? ( I have read to bring pots and pans.)
3.) We have 2 smaller dogs, 13 and 16 lbs and are delicate in nature. They would need to be brought on board the plane and have read only certain airlines would allow this? If you have been through this how did you manage?
4.) How long would you say it took you to get settle down (over the culture shock? - I realize this will be different for each person.)
5.) My husband and I will not know anyone in Ecuador and I am sure we will make friends in time.  However any tips as to how to hook up with others from the States?
6.) Is anyone working teaching English in Ecuador? If so feel free to share your experience.
7.) Any ideas about what might be a good small business to start in the country other then a restaurant?
8.) Any ideas about where to find work? Maybe at the resorts?

This is my first time here so again sorry if these questions have already been answered.

Ardyth and Tom

Welcome on board Ardyth and Tom ;)

I hope that other members will contribute to your various queries soon. Concerning health insurance, I will suggest you to contact our recommended partner: https://www.expat.com/en/insurance/sout … a/ecuador/ (for free expert advice & quotation)

Regards

Hi Yud,

Thanks so much for the link concerning insurance.
I just read that one can obtain a "Corporation Visa" which affect the health care status?
All the best
Ardyth

Let me comment on some points here:
1) You guys just coming over under tourist visas, right? You might want to check with the Ecuadorian Consulate in the States before bringing anything at all. You see, customs here are like this: they decide if whatever you are bringing is for your personal use as a tourist during the next 30 days(?). So, if you are bringing a desktop computer, a printer, a scanner a TV etc. - what do you think might happen? Well, this is Ecuador, so if you don't bring your pot plants with you (leave them home, pot is cheap here), it is only money, honey. But they will rob you flat out at customs, believe me.
2) Same about dogs. If you just bring them, they will spend a couple of weeks in quarantine in the customs warehouse with visitor hours set so you can bring them food and water, just like in jail, and between the visits you will be running around Quito like crazy spraying cash trying to get some health department clearance for your dogs. Again: check with the Consulate.
3) About health insurance, look up Humana Ecuador in internet. You might get lucky and get quotes by email.
Good luck to you.

Thanks for the heads up. We are coming first for a week to visit. Then let's see what happens.
So what you are saying in general is they rob you at customs? So better to ship everything in if you intend to live in Ecuador? If so do I have to be concerned when I am just visiting about what might be robbed in my backpack?
I read someplace you can hand over $600 for each dog when you arrive and then they will refund it later???
If we become citizens there I thought we get health insurance as well or do we have to pay a higher fee?
Thanks again

Let me comment on some points here:
1) You guys just coming over under tourist visas, right? You might want to check with the Ecuadorian Consulate in the States before bringing anything at all. You see, customs here are like this: they decide if whatever you are bringing is for your personal use as a tourist during the next 30 days(?). So, if you are bringing a desktop computer, a printer, a scanner a TV etc. - what do you think might happen? Well, this is Ecuador, so if you don't bring your pot plants with you (leave them home, pot is cheap here), it is only money, honey. But they will rob you flat out at customs, believe me.
2) Same about dogs. If you just bring them, they will spend a couple of weeks in quarantine in the customs warehouse with visitor hours set so you can bring them food and water, just like in jail, and between the visits you will be running around Quito like crazy spraying cash trying to get some health department clearance for your dogs. Again: check with the Consulate.
3) About health insurance, look up Humana Ecuador in internet. You might get lucky and get quotes by email.
Good luck to you.

graceful
    2011-02-04 08:02:43

I'm sorry, I mean "robbed" is that if they see something wrong with your luggage, say: things that 30 day visitors normally don't take/need, they'd give you a hard time. Everything can be solved with $$$ in Ecuador, and that's what I meant by being "robbed". Not literally robbed, no...
I haven't heard about $600 per dog. If it is a bribe money, I don't know... Ecuador might be a third world, but it is not like customs wait for you with their pokets opened... Offering cash left and right like this, you might even get yourself in trouble here... Our close friend is a customs agent here, he sometimes tells stories about Ecuadorians returning from Spain or US with their pets and that they hold them in quarantine for weeks etc etc. Best I can tell you - call the Consulate and ask! 
There is a state health insurance - Social Security (Seguro Social). Not mentioning kind of low level of service there, obvious, yes?, NO - you won't be eligible for it just by becoming residents or citizens. You must be making payments to Seguro Social, and the health coverage kicks in after 12 months of payments. Usually your employer makes payments for you if you are employed, or you affiliate yourself if you are self-employed. In your case, if you receive your retirement benefits from US, Ecuadorian tax and SS system won't ever know about you, residents or citizens... So, the solution might be: private insurance or if you are in good health, just keep some fund for emergencies (my personal choice). You'll be surprised how cheap quality medical care is in Ecuador.
Well, any more questions, please ask.
Take care.

Hey, thanks again, I must be super naive!
I found this post here, see what you think:

To send Pets, (Birds or domestic animals) to Ecuador from the USA the requirements are:

An Animal Health Certificate of the animal signed by a Veterinarian, stating that the animal is free from contagious diseases and is up to date with the required vaccinations. This document should be translated into Spanish and notarized .

The document should be legalized by the USDA of the State where you live, at least 10 days before the trip.

Then you need to bring the document to your nearest Ecuadorian consulate to be certified.

The certification of the Animal Health Certificate at the consulate is US$ 50.00

To retrieve your pet in Ecuador

In order to retrieve your pet once it has arrived to Ecuador, you need to wait 2 to 3 days and pay a tax equal to the 25% of the CIF value (shipment invoice).

However, if you wish to retrieve your pet immediately, you will have to pay a warranty of about 120% of the possible tax (approximately US $600), this amount should be given back to you at a later date.

Passengers are allowed 2 pets per person maximum. Rottweilers and Pit Bulls are not allowed into the country.

Dr. Rene Torres
Ecuador Logistics

Entirely possible. I just don't know... The Consulate would be the best source of info for you.
Good luck.