Why we decided not to move to Ecuador after two trips there

JadeRiver wrote:

Wow, this has really drifted off topic.

:(

Absolutely, and it's not good or beneficial whatsoever for those seeking information about Ecuador. The essence of a good forum is to have focused information on what they are seeking. This Forum is about Ecuador, and this specific thread is about why a member chose not to move to Ecuador. Unfortunately now members, lurkers and others seeking information have to sift through a lot of irrelevant information.

Thank you.

Jade and vsimple are right. Most the blame, or all should be put on me. Have a tendency to stray from the topics :/  You guys need to scold me from time to time when my mind starts wandering. Really don't mean to stray. Have to work on staying more focused.
Sorry Everyone :dumbom:

Thanks for the insight.  My wife and I are looking to visit to check out the prospects... and based on your post... it raises alot of "flags".  Are there any other countries you guys considered that are now your focus?  thanks.

sid and kim wrote:

Are there any other countries you guys considered that are now your focus?

On the country forums of both https://www.expat.com and expat-------.com, there's been a lot of interest lately in comparing Ecuador and its neighbor to the north, Colombia.

Reasons for this include:

1.  The Colombian peso is currently near 3,000 to the U.S. dollar, whereas a couple of years ago it was around 2,000.  This means a major step-up in buying power for dollared Expats in Colombia.  Ecuador's currency has been the U.S. dollar for 17 years, so a similar Expat benefit is not possible these days in Ecuador.

2.  In the past year, coastal Ecuador has been battered by earthquakes and floods.  The government's ambitious infrastructure progress has stalled out due to a budget crisis that began when oil prices tanked.  Meanwhile, Medellín, Colombia, has become one of the world's most decorated cities for innovation and progress.

3.  Old stigmas attached to Colombia have slowly faded away.  The drug cartels were marginalized or destroyed by political will and the military.  FARC rebels recently signed a peace treaty with the government.  Expats are catching on.  Colombia's geographical position as the closest South American country to the U.S. makes Colombia a natural contender for Expat relocation.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=647243

cccmedia in Colombia's Juan Valdez Coffee Zone

rough estimate to do that water system?  Asking because I'm looking at retirement in about 15 years, but looking to buy now... and potentially rent out the place i buy or just have it managed by a local realtor and come back maybe a couple times per year or so.

Thanks in advance and appreciate the insight.

thanks... yeah that whole NARCO thing sticks in my mind with Columbia.  LOL

I really do want to see Ecuador... we are interested in ocean views with some city life mixed in... thanks cccmedia.

Taking on international property-management responsiblities for 15 years so you can eventually live in a foreign house rent-free .. is a questionable proposition. :cool:

Based on your posts and your self-introduction, that seems to be what you plan to undertake while continuing to live in Texas.

Nobody unfamiliar with South America and its real-estate markets does this successfully here via remote control. 

Relying on an overseas real-estate company to manage vacancies, repairs, maintenance, flooding, evictions for non-payment of rent and myriad other details .. is not a solid plan.

Live & invest Overseas and International Living Magazine will not prepare you for the headaches you may encounter between now and 2032.

cccmedia

If you want to knowthe basic list -- long and yet barely exhaustive -- of the many of the things and experiences, adventures and Ecuatastrophes (tm) that can reasonably be happen when buying that property for investment purposes on or near the beach for retirement in 10 to 15 years, feel free to tap me.

I've been living here in the Provincia de Santa Elena since June 2008.

That covers time in Salinas and Montañita.

Very few have that street cred.

Susan

good to hear.  Yeah... we have alot of work ahead of us.  We definitely wanted to make the trip out this year (summer)... but is there a better time of the year to come and take a look?  The secondary piece would be to maybe buy land, and save for the construction of a house later on down the road.

thanks
:top:

susan... what would you suggest on a 15 year strat?  I am currently working as a Gov Civilian and looking to obtain a pension leading up to the time we pull up stakes.  Anyways... is there a certain area you would suggest when talking ocean, crime, some city exposure that isn't too far away?  thanks. :thanks:

Susan_in_Ecuador wrote:

If you want to know the basic list (of) things and experiences, adventures and Ecuatastrophes (tm) that can reasonably happen when buying that property for investment purposes on or near the beach for retirement in 10 to 15 years, feel free to tap me.

Ecuatastrophes (tm) -- Nice!  And worthy of your trademark. :top:

Susan_in_Ecuador wrote:

I've been living here in the Provincia de Santa Elena since June 2008....

Very few have that street cred.

Susan

Ain't that the truth! :D

You've been doing a great job, Susan, in giving us the benefit of your experience in Ecuador and particularly coastal Ecuador. :top:

And some of us are aware of your longtime diligence on another popular forum. ;)

If you ever get that radio gig, you'll rival your friend Silverwater as the hardest-working Expat in Ecuador. :one

cccmedia

flying in... with a final destination being Provincia de Santa Elena and La Libertad.... whats the best Airport to come into... and how far is the drive from there to either place?

sid and kim wrote:

flying in... with a final destination being Provincia de Santa Elena and La Libertad.... whats the best Airport to come into... and how far is the drive from there to either place?

It's 81 miles from Guayaquil to La Libertad.

You could fly into Big G and take ground transportation along route 40 -- 1 hour 39 minutes.

Source:  Google map and directions.

Easy!

If you are traveling light and exiting the airport between 6 am and 9 pm grab a yellow cab and request Terminal Terrestre making sure you are paying no more than $4, its close by.

When you arrive there, head up to the top level and the far corner ( near the number 90 buses) and you will find the CLP (Coop Libertad Presa) office. Your tickets will be $4 or less if you are over 65 ... Show them your passport. And the bus is a big Maroon Euro Greyhound style.

Your bags will be tagged and placed below the bus, you'll have a bit of time to go to the bathroom, grab some snacks, keep your purses and important stuff on your lap, and enjoy the movie.

Your ride to Ballenita is 1:30

Taxis can take you to your final destination.

Are you kidding are you saying that the water is the reason for not living in Ecuador considering the water source in the United States? Unless you live in Colorado or Alaska...  you can always buy a $6,000 water pump and get all the clean water you want,  I am on the beach for  $5,300 a year no bills $2 breakfast no complaints.  I go to the US 1x year ,Panama twice a year for electronics and booze and the occasional bus ride to Colombia. life is great.  my doctor went to the University of Miami and I walk on the beach daily.

Good job, DD. :top:

What's your home base these days?  Manta, Ecuador?

Seems as if you've put Atlanta in your rear-view mirror. :D

cccmedia

Thanks DD... I was going to ask what a water filtration system would run.  That's not bad at all... and it wouldn't be anything new to me and my family as we're using a water filtration system and Reverse osmosis right now.  Whereabouts do you live in Ecuador?

Thank you everyone.. this site is fantastic and the people providing answers to questions is fantatic.

Susan...

fantastic.  I really do appreciate the share... If we get there... drinks on me!  LOL

Not needed. I get longneck Pilsener beer for $.80 cents..

Sounds soggy... But suit yourself!
It's Montañita and we're nonjudgmental.

Yeah I drink bottled sparkling water, bath from a shower, wsash my teeth from the tap and I've been known to eat an occasional strawberry at the grocers. I'm still alive.

For my first 7 years I had a water machine.
Bought big 5 gal bottles for $6, exchanged for refills when the truck came by every few days for $1.50
5 gallons was enough for one person for about a week if ypou used it also for cooking (pasta, soup, coffee, etc)

Oh, The area  had a water problem from the reservoir since November. Most oif us have had water via delivery truck, depositing water into the old cisterns and tanks which is how water was delivered up to 10 or 20 years ago anyway. Other folks invested in big blue plastic tanks and water delivery into those, with pumps runninwasrunninwast to roof tanks a few times a day. Again as it used to be.

This is EC.
You go with the flow.

Guys first thing you have to realize being a expat is adaptation. There is no 20 choices of bread, no 7/11, QT, or Circle K, no 24hr restaurants,  no Dominos pizza. With that being said, can you live without it? Can you live without 150 TV channels,  car alarms and Taxation? YES I CAN...

Can you live with car alarms, neighborhood parties that make your walls and teeth rattle from 10 to 6 am, and the occasional experience you didn't sign up for?

ddagencylv wrote:

Guys first thing you have to realize being a expat is adaptation. There is no 20 choices of bread, no 7/11, QT, or Circle K, no 24hr restaurants,  no Dominos pizza. With that being said, can you live without it? Can you live without 150 TV channels,  car alarms and Taxation? YES I CAN...

In Quito there's more than 20 choices of bread, try Cyrano, and Swiss Corner. Oki Doki is all over the city and the equivalent of 7-Eleven. Dominoes Pizza? We have that, Pizza Hut and Papa John's. Try Quito Pizza for the closest taste to New York style pizza on Avenida da República, just across the street from Carolina park. It's owned by Ecuadorian-Americans and they know what they're doing. No car alarms, oh how I wish that was true. Taxation? 14% sales tax is pretty hefty to me, and if a person works here they have to pay tax if they earn more than a certain amount. McDonald's and Ch Farina (Pizza and Pasta) on Amazonas are open 24 hours, and that's just my neighborhood.

Sorry to hear that Vsimple. Not where I live. If that was the case I would have stayed in the States..

ddagencylv wrote:

Sorry to hear that Vsimple. Not where I live. If that was the case I would have stayed in the States..

Thanks for the laugh.   :D

That's how it is here in many areas but it's also quite European too at least east side of Carolina. We are not all alike and some people like having the availability of western brands Ecuador. For some people what's available is not nearly enough and one of the reasons they leave Ecuador. But what makes Ecuador truly Ecuador is not merely appearance it's the people and despite having these conveniences and amenities it's truly Ecuador even in the most developed areas.

ddagencylv wrote:

Don't know about living without taxation, as all USA citizens are expected to pay income tax on their world wide income.  Don't know of any place in the USA charging 14% sales tax..  of course if a couple from the USA makes a total of less than $32,000 only counting half the social security, then a tax return need not be filed.  We collect $32,000 in social security and take $15,000 out of our IRA, $47,000 income and no income tax.  Hope this does not change.

Right Mug. I meant taxation on a practical sense relative to the US. Sales, property , county and federal.  I decided I wanted to live very similar to your lifestyle. $12000 from IRA, rental property,  SSI, $20 week cafes, jugos, etc.. 3 yrs in no regrets. Fly back for Charmin paper products, detergent and see some family. Land in Quito, activate my Avianca card, discount to Manta, home.

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I have been sick with bronchitis.  As far as due diligence, I think we/I made up more for that as we travelled to 4 different foreign countries before making a decision on ecuador.  And I visited 4 times before making the move.  I didn't mean to come across as anti-ecuador as I have lived here for 4 years.  I was only trying to portray an honest perspective as how I feel at times, and was feeling at the time.  I'm sure, if you could get accurate stats, and honest opinions from other expats, there are many who experience the feelings as I was.  Never think that I am anti-ecuador.  I am educated and can still go back to the US and make a decent living.  As a female that moved here at 40, I was just trying to add a perspective that I never see given in any posts in this site.  For men, it's a normal world.  For women my age, who are independent, and have worked very hard their whole life to never depend or expect a handout from a spouse or country, I was trying to give an honest perspective.  I tried and paid for private Spanish lessons with 2 other gringo friends, that was held at my house.  The Ecuadorian that offered the services was more interested in teaching slang and words for private parts that he thought was funny.  It, in my opinion, was a total waste of time and money.  And yes, I took it seriously, did the homework, used my translator and would take 4-6 hours of my time to do so.  I do have Rosetta Stone, but the problem I find in manta is the Spanish here is all slang and not the same.  Needless to say, I gave up.  When I do try to practice in taxis or wherever, my experience here has been they immediately shut down and say they don't understand or they want to practice their English on me.  I gave up long ago. 

I am the most giving person in the world.  If I have $2 to my name and you act like you need it, I am willing to give it plus more.  One of my Russian friends tonight did me a huge favor (would take no for an answer), and I told him (who is also an Ecuadorian citizen), that I felt like I needed to give him something, but didn't know what to give him.  He jokingly said, I can't leave your house without a bag to carry out, as I always send him away (regardless of his contest and always upset with something, although he's now starting to understand I want nothing in return) that I didn't know what to give him.  My problem becomes the fact, that even though I try to make and form relationships here it always bites me in the ass.  I have random strangers always knocking on my gate wanting money because they say the guards tell them I am a gringo and they only come to my house.  They never knock on any other gate and they are never live in my neighborhood.  I'm very good to my security here, always giving snacks and drinks on hot days and booze on holidays.  There becomes a line between being used and charity.  Even the relationships we develop between Ecuadorians who we think are friends, even comes down to money.  As one of the main one just asked for a loan to cover their rent.  As a younger female, I am always warned about being out alone, and had one lady from a tienda down the street on Christmas Day make her husband walk me home in broad daylight once I asked to buy plastic cups to give my security some of the booze I was purchasing from her.  All of that makes me take pause and question any relationship here.  The whole expat relationships that I thought were tried and true is a whole different thread post.  So my post was not to be judgmental, just based on my life experience here.  If you can't trust anyone in a place you live, gives one pause as to the level of social interaction that you are willing to participate in.  So far in my experience, they have 99% ended up in failure.  I'm not rich, as I have spent every cent, including my retirement to live here, but I am targeted as if I am.  I continue to give, when I have the additional funds, as I was raised to do, even if I do without, but everyone's experiences here are different.  One day, when I need help, I only hope karma comes back around.  But do I expect that to ever happen here in ecuador?  Never.

Huh?

Anybody here have thoughts, experiences, input on expatting to Argentina?

Having nixed Ecuador as a retirement destination, and generally liking south America as a whole, does anyone who posts here have any thoughts about Argentina?

Great beef!

Thoughts on Argentina....

1.  Buenos Aires metro area is hot, hot, hot in the summertime.  Not like Ecuador where you can set up in a highland city and live in mild weather year-round.

2.  Lots of businesses are on strange schedules.  Restaurants not opening till 8 p.m.  People not going to clubs before midnight. 

3.  Oceanside city of Mar del Plata felt like a ghost town after dark during off-season.

4.  Far friendlier vibe in Medellín and Coffee Country, Colombia, than in Buenos Aires.

5.   It's a long flight from USA airports.  You gotta get past Brazil, which is Big.

6.  The international resort community of Bariloche could be fabulous.  I didn't make it there, but if I ever went to Argentina again, I would head right there.  Incredible scenery from what I've seen in photos.  Four-season living with snow in the winter.  Connections available in B.A.

7.  A zillion pizzerías and Italian restaurants in Buenos Aires.  Tasty!

8.  Great shopping in the big city, too.

cccmedia
visited Argentina in 2016

cccmedia wrote:

Thoughts on Argentina....

4.  Far friendlier vibe in Medellín and Coffee Country, Colombia, than in Buenos Aires.

cccmedia
visited Argentina in 2016

Gardner appears to resisting the allures of Colombia despite the significant testimony provided by our sage expert.

CC is dead on ...
4.  "Far friendlier vibe in Medellín and Coffee Country, Colombia, than in Buenos Aires.".

In other words, Colombia is the second best bet in South America next to Ecuador.  2 of my neighbors moved to Cartagena.

ddagencylv wrote:

Colombia is the second best bet in South America next to Ecuador.

I'd put Uruguay up there for those who don't require the cost-of-living to be as low as in EC and CO. 

The coastal towns and cities in Uruguay are clean and lovely.

The food is delicious.

You feel extremely safe everywhere except maybe in a rougher neighborhood of the big city, Montevideo.

The sunset from the long malecón in Montevideo is breathtaking.  Some of the parklands are exceptional.

Uruguay is just a one-hour boat ride from Buenos Aires.  Anybody visiting B.A. should definitely cross the Río and check out the old Portuguese/Spanish colonial pueblo of Colonia del Sacramento or the other beachside area(s) of Uruguay, including Montevideo.

Downsides:  Few Expats outside the fancy resort community of Punta del Este or an occasional Inter------- meetup in the capital.  Long way from Tipperary.  Getting healthcare trickier than in some places.   Summertime weather -- even at the beach areas -- can be hot, hot, hot.

cccmedia

Hola
Just listening in here guys! Seems like 'old home week', to be reading of those, IN and interested IN, my once-upon- a- time retirement 'dream' choice, ECUADOR.
Currently living in between Chapala & Ajijic (on the Lake) here in Jalisco state, Mx.. Rents cheap, people are great, (All classifications), and the weather is unbelievable. Second best in the world they say! 
Quite 'shocked' at the 'coming ou't of GARDENER1. Always new there was something special about 'that dude'!
Lonecowboy.

Lonecowboy wrote:

Hola
Just listening in here guys! Seems like 'old home week', to be reading of those, IN and interested IN, my once-upon- a- time retirement 'dream' choice, ECUADOR.
Currently living in between Chapala & Ajijic (on the Lake) here in Jalisco state, Mx.. Rents cheap, people are great, (All classifications), and the weather is unbelievable. Second best in the world they say! 
Quite 'shocked' at the 'coming ou't of GARDENER1. Always new there was something special about 'that dude'!
Lonecowboy.

Glad you found paradise at Lake Chapala.   Have you met the Grimms yet?  They supposedly moved there after getting their Ecuadorian citizenship.

http://grimmsecuadortraveltales.blogspot.com/