Why we decided not to move to Ecuador after two trips there

Climate is a major topic in Expat discussions for important reasons....

1.  It's something that impacts everyone.

2.  If you pick a climate that is seasonally unfavorable, it could mean months of unpleasantness when outdoors.

3.  Many folks seek an escape from climate extremes, such as Baltimore in July and August .. and Minnesota in January and February.

4.  Good weather favors more time spent outdoors, which is typically a positive health factor.

Headlines:  Orioles Re-Sign Slugger Mark Trumbo For Three Years ... Jimenez Rediscovers Fastball in Recent Outing ... Team Reached Post-Season For Third Time in Five Years While Hitting 28 More Homers Than Any Other Squad in the Majors, Including MLB-Most By Trumbo (47) ....

cccmedia

cccmedia wrote:

Headlines:  Orioles Re-Sign Slugger Mark Trumbo For Three Years ... Jimenez Rediscovers Fastball in Recent Outing ... Team Reached Post-Season For Third Time in Five Years While Hitting 28 More Homers Than Any Other Squad in the Majors, Including MLB-Most By Trumbo (47) ....

cccmedia

Unfortunately they can't manufacture any runs. Is why they never go far in the post-season. Starting pitching should be a lot better this year. Would take anything said about Jimenez with a grain of salt. One heck of a nice guy, and a good human being, but has been a complete bust ever since we signed him. Only still on team because they didn't want to eat the huge contract they gave him.

cccmedia wrote:

Climate is a major topic in Expat discussions for important reasons....

1.  It's something that impacts everyone.

2.  If you pick a climate that is seasonally unfavorable, it could mean months of unpleasantness when outdoors.

3.  Many folks seek an escape from climate extremes, such as Baltimore in July and August .. and Minnesota in January and February.

4.  Good weather favors more time spent outdoors, which is typically a positive health factor.

cccmedia

Absolutely all valid points. Am not trying to diminish impact weather , and especially economics plays in decision making. In a roundabout way, the point I was trying to make is that there are also many other factors besides weather that can make a place a good place to live. Only used Maryland as an example, because that is a place I'm very familiar with. Things like infrastructure, medical care, night life, museums, sports, senior centers, familiarity, friends, grocery stores, hardware stores, reliable mail system, understanding of language, etc. also play a pretty big part of everyday life, and are some of the things that also make a place pleasurable to live.

j600rr wrote:

Isn't there more to life than just living someplace with the ideal weather?  Not directing this at you, or trying to start a debate ccc. People always talk, or market a place as having the perfect weather, or live like a king on virtually no money. Economics are obviously important, and so is weather. Not trying to downplay those things. Think sometimes the little things are overlooked, and they may be more important than people think. Would never recommend Maryland to anyone, but I am from here. The four distinct seasons, fall colors, early spring birds singing in a warm breeze. Baseball opening day, and the Final Four brings the warmer weather. Days get longer, and warmer. Motorcycle riding season around the corner. Farmers Markets opening soon. Summer time eating steamed crabs, drinking some beers outside with friends. Baseball gives way to football. Weather starts cooling, days in the 60's and 70's, nice crisp cool air as the sun sets. Winter is coming soon, trees lose their beautiful fall color leaves. January and February very unpredictable weather wise. Personally could do without the winter, but with winter comes spring, and all life renewing itself once again. Spring flowers start blooming, birds start singing in the morning again. Time to do the above all over again. The weather, the sports, the people, the local foods. These are all part of the culture I grew up with. It's not that easy to just alienate everything you grew up with. At least don't think it is. Is it?

If a person does a pros and cons, how much would be allocated to weather/climate if the total points for all factors in the pros and cons totaled 100 points? Personally I would give weather climate no less than 15 points and as much as 30 points.

How good does one feel when the weather is just perfect (relative)? It's a priceless feeling and personally to have spring and fall every day I would never trade it for anything. It's easy to sleep to and easy to wake up to. There's never the issue of it's too cold to go outside, or too hot to jog, or too hot to drink a cup of hot coffee, or basically do what you want and the weather is your friend and not your adversary. There's also the health aspect and feeling fresh and rejuvenated, the heat and cold beat me down especially if heating or air conditioning is needed to cope.

As for “alienating” from things people grew up with, I think that is one of the main reasons why people fail as expatriates because they bring that mentality (which is perfectly normal) but without making an effort to adapt which leaves them in a constant negative conflict, because they are continuously missing this or missing that, which leaves them in a state of dissatisfaction. I've read a blog where people admittedly stated they missed Walmart as one of the reasons for moving back home.

vsimple wrote:

If a person does a pros and cons, how much would be allocated to weather/climate if the total points for all factors in the pros and cons totaled 100 points? Personally I would give weather climate no less than 15 points and as much as 30 points.

How good does one feel when the weather is just perfect (relative)? It's a priceless feeling and personally to have spring and fall every day I would never trade it for anything. It's easy to sleep to and easy to wake up to. There's never the issue of it's too cold to go outside, or too hot to jog, or too hot to drink a cup of hot coffee, or basically do what you want and the weather is your friend and not your adversary. There's also the health aspect and feeling fresh and rejuvenated, the heat and cold beat me down especially if heating or air conditioning is needed to cope.

As for “alienating” from things people grew up with, I think that is one of the main reasons why people fail as expatriates because they bring that mentality (which is perfectly normal) but without making an effort to adapt which leaves them in a constant negative conflict, because they are continuously missing this or missing that, which leaves them in a state of dissatisfaction. I've read a blog where people admittedly stated they missed Walmart as one of the reasons for moving back home.

So even if on a scale of 100 you give weather 30 points. That would still mean that 70 points (a pretty large majority) would be for other reasons. If I understand what you were saying correctly. Certainly Ecuador has been a very good fit for you. Not trying to dissuade people from moving to Ecuador, or anywhere they may want to try. Only pointing out that there are many other variables that they should take into consideration.

Don't really think people need to alienate from what they grew up with. Would agree that there are many people that can't or don't want to assimilate to a new environment. That is unfortunate, because most will probably wind up being unhappy, and eventually moving somewhere else. Can adapt, and integrate into a society quite easily without alienating your culture/heritage/traditions. Call it whatever you want to call it, but those traditions you grew up with are still part of you. At least many of the good things you remember. Is a granparent who moves away, and will no longer be able to have Thanksgiving dinner with kids, and grandkids, or who is going to miss Christmas with family not going to feel sorrow?  Is someone who moves from family, and friends still not going to at times miss them?
Would actually say that probably the majority of people never adapt to a new foreign environment. And actually think most probably want to, they just are unable to ever make that transition. While I understand the logic of moving to a place with nice weather. I don't see the logic behind not taking into account all the 100's of other variables that are included. Even though people will say they do. In reality they don't. At least most.

j600rr wrote:

So even if on a scale of 100 you give weather 30 points. That would still mean that 70 points (a pretty large majority) would be for other reasons. If I understand what you were saying correctly. Certainly Ecuador has been a very good fit for you. Not trying to dissuade people from moving to Ecuador, or anywhere they may want to try. Only pointing out that there are many other variables that they should take into consideration.

Of course there are many other variables, but if one variable is worth 30 points out of a 100 then it's considerable especially with other variables that will also take up points like safety, health, and infrastructure which are important to many expats. Then there's cost of living, amenities like parks, restaurants, shopping, nightlife places. Sports, nature, beaches, culture, and other things will also take up points for people who are interested in those things. Socializing and friendship is another big one for me and without that forget it.

j600rr wrote:

Don't really think people need to alienate from what they grew up with. Would agree that there are many people that can't or don't want to assimilate to a new environment. That is unfortunate, because most will probably wind up being unhappy, and eventually moving somewhere else. Can adapt, and integrate into a society quite easily without alienating your culture/heritage/traditions. Call it whatever you want to call it, but those traditions you grew up with are still part of you. At least many of the good things you remember. Is a granparent who moves away, and will no longer be able to have Thanksgiving dinner with kids, and grandkids, or who is going to miss Christmas with family not going to feel sorrow?  Is someone who moves from family, and friends still not going to at times miss them?
Would actually say that probably the majority of people never adapt to a new foreign environment. And actually think most probably want to, they just are unable to ever make that transition. While I understand the logic of moving to a place with nice weather. I don't see the logic behind not taking into account all the 100's of other variables that are included. Even though people will say they do. In reality they don't. At least most.

If someone will give their grandchildren or friends 30 points or more then that person should remain where they are because expatriate life is about leaving things and people behind. It's not for everyone and many fail, and missing family members is exactly a reason some cited for returning home. Expat life is a challenge and for people who have bigger budgets they can remedy some of the homesickness with trips back home or friends/family to visit. There are also other ways, social media and other modes of instant communication are amazing helping people keep in touch. And btw distance to home is another variable that is important for many expats when deciding on possible destinations.

I posted on the homesickness thread that it's important for a person to a make a life for themselves in the country they're living instead of dwelling on what they're missing. That requires effort and sacrifice and to give a glimpse of my thinking, I love to watch sports, but  it's dead time and so I sacrificed a lot of it because it was consuming too much time that could otherwise be spent assimilating. But I'll read a recap and box-score at night or morning.

I hope you don't misunderstand my point it's not solely about weather, it's simply a big variable if it's allocated 30 points.

You pose a great argument about events, changing seasons and things that appeal to me and basically what I grew up with.  But that would never be a reason why I would chose to live somewhere.  If I decide I want to experience that, I can always travel there during those times.  Weather/climate is my first choice in finding a place to live, once I find those options I will continue down my list to find my best option.  I like Quito, the city life and its more my style, and even if I could adjust to the elevation I would never live there because it's way to cold for me.

Sophems wrote:

You pose a great argument about events, changing seasons and things that appeal to me and basically what I grew up with.  But that would never be a reason why I would chose to live somewhere.  If I decide I want to experience that, I can always travel there during those times.  Weather/climate is my first choice in finding a place to live, once I find those options I will continue down my list to find my best option.  I like Quito, the city life and its more my style, and even if I could adjust to the elevation I would never live there because it's way to cold for me.

I completely understand, and relate. The OP placed considerable weight to water for her criteria, and water in general rather than a focused assessment of individual cities. That just proves how incredibly varied expats are with listing what's most important when determining a possible destination.

I've never had problems with access to water here in manta, but others have.  Plus my house is connected to a water filtration system.  My friend came over the other night for a TV  we loaned him for his mom who is on bed rest per Dr orders and his laptop display is having problems and he doesn't have a tv.  They are Russian, he speaks very good English and perfect Spanish.  His mom knows a few Spanish words but only speaks Russian.  Anyway has he was leaving, and he lives 5 minutes from me but in a development on the beach, he said 1 more month of no water.  I said what are you talking about, and he said you have water from the city? I replied yes my cistern filled up yesterday because we can here it when they run the water, which is normally 3-4 days a week.  He then said he's been 2 months already with no city water so he's had to get the water trucks to fill his cistern.  We were all surprised, us that he hasn't had city water and him that ours has never been shut off.  So I get the water thing, I understand how hard it is to adjust to a foreign country.  Most of it comes from just pure frustration of dealing with issues that we know are easy to fix but have to deal with paper work (oh how they love that here), incompetency and difficulty of getting things to fix the problem.  The #1 thing that still drives me crazy and makes me want to bang my head on the wall to end the misery is this response.  You guessed it "manana".  Which turns into days, were and sometimes months.  I used to hate Walmart and never shopped there until I moved here.  Now Publix (Fl grocery store) and Walmart are the first places I go when I travel back to Miami.

Hey vsimple. I get what where you're coming from, and the point your making. Hopefully I am not coming across as confrontational, or as trying to create some kind of never ending argument. Only hoping that some people will look at things from different angles. It's not a matter of a particular choice being superior to another. People have different takes on what fits their particular lifestyle better.

I spent most of my 20's traveling, and living outside of the U.S. It was a great experience. Wouldn't trade it for the world, and will always travel. For now living in the U.S. and traveling every so often, perhaps one day becoming a snow birder fits the bill for me. That could certainly change one day. What I wanted in my 30's was different than what I wanted in 20's. What I want now in my 40's is different than what I wanted in my 30's. Certainly my opinions could change again in the next 10 years or so.

Sophems wrote:

I've never had problems with access to water here in manta, but others have.  Plus my house is connected to a water filtration system.  ....... Anyway has he was leaving, and he lives 5 minutes from me but in a development on the beach, he said 1 more month of no water.  I said what are you talking about, and he said you have water from the city? I replied yes my cistern filled up yesterday because we can here it when they run the water, which is normally 3-4 days a week.  He then said he's been 2 months already with no city water so he's had to get the water trucks to fill his cistern.

You illustrate my point. 

Water supplies in Ecuador range from good in a couple of places, to sketchy, unreliable, variable, unavailable, and floods any time it rains.

I'm giving that situation a whole lot of nope.

j600rr wrote:

Hey vsimple. I get what where you're coming from, and the point your making. Hopefully I am not coming across as confrontational, or as trying to create some kind of never ending argument. Only hoping that some people will look at things from different angles. It's not a matter of a particular choice being superior to another. People have different takes on what fits their particular lifestyle better.

I spent most of my 20's traveling, and living outside of the U.S. It was a great experience. Wouldn't trade it for the world, and will always travel. For now living in the U.S. and traveling every so often, perhaps one day becoming a snow birder fits the bill for me. That could certainly change one day. What I wanted in my 30's was different than what I wanted in 20's. What I want now in my 40's is different than what I wanted in my 30's. Certainly my opinions could change again in the next 10 years or so.

No you're not coming off as confrontational at all. You actually started an interesting discussion on what criteria is important for expats or potential expats. I also advocate and encourage people to see things in greater context but for most on this particular forum the only criterion seems to be cost of living. This mindset is a deceiving because one can live in a cheap place but eventually it might not be a good fit for reasons that were initially overlooked due to seeing everything purely from a cost of living lens. Ultimately I believe it's about being content and for me climate, safety, infrastructure(from health to amenities), the people and cost living are important factors. A lot of other factors can be worked out even if gradually.

I find this thread very interesting and like any subject everyone has a varied opinion. I am currently spending the winter in the Philippines with my wife and have done so for 10 years.  However I am finding as I age I am struggling with the heat more and it is very hot here especially from March to May.

I am seriously considering Ecuador as a place to spend the winters.  I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as the perfect place, it is just a matter of what makes one comfortable and if you leave home what are you willing to accept or do without to be happy.

For me my needs are quite simple, I like to walk, swim and have worked out at a gym regularly most of my life.  I enjoy the out doors, nature, reading and learning, ( I guess ice hockey is out).  :)   I would like to take further Spanish lessons there and also would like to volunteer to teach English, especially to kids :)

Cotacachi sounds very good to me, I have been researching various places in South and Central America for many months and do understand one will never know what it is really like without being there.  I am from Ontario Canada and grew up playing ice hockey outside for hours in - 10 to -20 for months during the winter, so I feel like a Siberian husky in the Philippines and do feel very comfortable and more content in temperatures between 10 to 20 C. 

Having said all this I do agree with some folks on this forum that being home and experiencing the culture one grew up with, the changing of the seasons, opening day for baseball followed by football season and hockey season, then the changing of the colors on the trees etc etc.  is something I absolutely love.  Come December like the geese it is time to fly :)  I have the advantages of all these beautiful things, great paid for health care and being close to family and friends for 8 months a year.

I do understand there are many who cannot do this financially and have not had the luxury to grow up in a place that perhaps does not have periods through out the year where the temperatures are pleasant,  nor the changing of the seasons  Also many folks from various other countries do not have paid for health care.

The bottom line is we all have a different story,  a different life experience and we are all looking for something different. 

I hope everyone finds what will truly make them happy, life is short and we must make the best of it.

I am also starting to study Spanish and I am very excited about learning another new language at this stage of my life and looking forward to immersing myself with the local people to learn their language and their culture.

If anyone can offer any information regarding Cotacachi I would appreciate it.  Things like the availability and cost of either a furnished one bedroom apartment or small house, is there a pool one could swim laps at and what gyms are available?

Muchas Gracias por leer mis comentarios.  Tengas un gran dia :)

Saludos,

John.

elevenferguson wrote:

( I guess ice hockey is out).  :)

There's a hockey rink in the shopping center on Amazonas and Naciones Unidas in centro north Quito. It's not full size but they do have a league and play I think 3 on 3.

So Ecuador has 6 hockey players?

;)

gardener1 wrote:

;)

aJajajaja maybe and if that. It's a causal league set up by hockey fans.

Ok so I am just drunk and high enough to give my 150% honest opinion.  They may block my post, but I really hope not as I am going to be raw and honest as I don't think anyone here knows me personally and if they do I don't really care as I will try to censor myself (& anyone that does know me, knows I tell it likes it is, period). I grew up in a family that always spoke the truth, feelings aside.  I have no problems with the word "no", and always expect it before the word "yes".  So here goes, and we will see where it ends up.

Would I, as a US citizen, ever move to a foreign country again?  No!!!  I am too young and not politically tainted to do it again.  Has moving to a foreign country made me appreciate my citizenship 🇺🇸?  The percentages don't even exist.  As a female, who worked  my whole life to live the lifestyle I wanted (& for whatever reason, children didn't happen although at one point, I did want them) I have to say I am quite the catch.  My family is gone, I have no baggage (except let's be honest all the emotional shit everyone harbors), and I am degreed.  I never answered to anyone, and bought and did what I wanted my whole life.  I paid my way, but was always raised that no matter how hard you played, you always worked and gave back and helped those that needed it.  Regardless of what you think people that say they are in need, actually need, you help.  Of course, and to be expected a career that demands 60+ hours a week, I have had my fair share of failed relationships and marriages.  So, in my defense, I was committed to go all chips in on this one.  Let's face it, I can fight age the best I can, but we all have to come to terms with it at some point in our lives. 

This move was definitely not my dream.  It has made me examine aspects of my life, even I'm not comfortable with.  I *** hate Ecuador!!    If you are from the US and a female, stay there, that's the best, honest advice you will ever get. I have never in my life experienced such a biased life.  I can't even get a debit card here on my joint bank account without jumping thru hoops to open a bank account only in my name.  The looks and questions I get when I use my credit card, which s in my name only, here are disturbing.  My God, how difficult is it really to get a credit card with a high limit?  After numerous moves and address changes, I can't imagine how many accounts I have open with no current actual cards to prove it, but I have to argue with a pharmacy here to charge $101. 58 "in todo" for my husband's meds because their  ATM machine, even though it claims to be international, doesn't work?  The girls at the pharmacy were amazed my cc worked for a charge that much.  I'm not sure I own a pair of shoes that cost less than that.  I have never felt so discrimated against in my life, as I have in the 4 years I have lived here.

With numerous investments that we relied upon to live worry free, fall through, I have spent every cent I owned to live here.  I have accepted my decision to move here as my choice and would never expect any hand out or bail out.  I feel that's what is wrong with this world we currently live in, not many take responsibility for their personal decisions.   My husband argues he will never move back to the US, but as I argued tonight if you expect me to live the rest of my life in the kitchen and cleaning my house, this life is not for me.  I have always lived my life as a trusting person, really what is the quality of life if you are always questioning your safety and intentions of others?  Ecuador has robbed me of that, I even now question relationships I have had with other good people in the US, and it makes me at times ashamed of myself.  I told my husband tonight, if money is what you are worried about and live your life for, let me go back and work.  That's what I'm good at, and I enjoy it.  To constantly worry about changing laws and prices, without any control, makes me apprehensive and afraid to live my life.

Is Ecuador all bad?  No.  My greatest fear is that I am getting used to my life here and being afraid to go back my life as it was in the US before, with nothing to fall back on there.  My husband can at times be in compromised health, and I'm younger than he is.  With no monetary control and currently learning what the long term value of investments are, I sometimes question my medical demands that I have made here on his behalf.  I'm not proud of those moments but I was raised to always take care of myself as no one else ever would.  I'm being real and honest, so if you question whether you can live in a foreign country with your lifestyle not changing, don't leave the US.  No matter how much you fight it, your lifestyle will never be the same, unless you are a trust fund recipient, which unfortunately for me I am not.  You can try to live every day in the moment, and be happy, sometimes it works l, and sometimes it's. a load of ****.  I know and understand that life is short and what you make of it, and most of the time I'm really, really good with it.  But sometimes, life just ***, and you want to just give up.  I guess, right now, I'm in that moment and wanted people that are questioning whether they should move to foreign country, that it does ***F at times.  If I could turn back time, and I'm going all chips in right now, I would have just said no and moved on.  I do love my husband with all that I am, or I wouldn't be writing this post in the wee hours of the morning, but sometimes you do have to look after your self or make the best of the time you are living in.  One day, Florida, I will be back, just don't know when......

elevenferguson wrote:

I find this thread very interesting and like any subject everyone has a varied opinion. I am currently spending the winter in the Philippines with my wife and have done so for 10 years.  However I am finding as I age I am struggling with the heat more and it is very hot here especially from March to May.

I am seriously considering Ecuador as a place to spend the winters.  I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as the perfect place, it is just a matter of what makes one comfortable and if you leave home what are you willing to accept or do without to be happy.

John.

There was a member BobH. Anyone know what happened to Bob? Know he was having some health problems. Anyway, he retired to the Philippines, and wound up finding the heat a bit overwhelming himself. Moved to Ecuador, and he really enjoyed it. Did wind up moving back to the U.S. because of his health problems. There is another member here mugtech, that am pretty sure has spent some time in the Philippines as well. Think your plan sounds like a good one. You might want to start a new thread. Will probably be easier for people to see, and answer your questions. Your post might wind up getting overlooked, or missed in this thread.

Bob H ended up back in Phoenix with health problems that he felt were better treated in the US.

Good guy. I wish he'd check in from time to time.

@Sophems

:heart:

Sophems wrote:

Ok so I am just drunk and high enough to give my 150% honest opinion.  They may block my post, but I really hope not as I am going to be raw and honest as I don't think anyone here knows me personally and if they do I don't really care as I will try to censor myself (& anyone that does know me, knows I tell it likes it is, period). I grew up in a family that always spoke the truth, feelings aside.  I have no problems with the word "no", and always expect it before the word "yes".  So here goes, and we will see where it ends up.

Would I, as a US citizen, ever move to a foreign country again?  No!!!  I am too young and not politically tainted to do it again.  Has moving to a foreign country made me appreciate my citizenship 🇺🇸?  The percentages don't even exist.  As a female, who worked  my whole life to live the lifestyle I wanted (& for whatever reason, children didn't happen although at one point, I did want them) I have to say I am quite the catch.  My family is gone, I have no baggage (except let's be honest all the emotional shit everyone harbors), and I am degreed.  I never answered to anyone, and bought and did what I wanted my whole life.  I paid my way, but was always raised that no matter how hard you played, you always worked and gave back and helped those that needed it.  Regardless of what you think people that say they are in need, actually need, you help.  Of course, and to be expected a career that demands 60+ hours a week, I have had my fair share of failed relationships and marriages.  So, in my defense, I was committed to go all chips in on this one.  Let's face it, I can fight age the best I can, but we all have to come to terms with it at some point in our lives. 

This move was definitely not my dream.  It has made me examine aspects of my life, even I'm not comfortable with.  I *** hate Ecuador!!    If you are from the US and a female, stay there, that's the best, honest advice you will ever get. I have never in my life experienced such a biased life.  I can't even get a debit card here on my joint bank account without jumping thru hoops to open a bank account only in my name.  The looks and questions I get when I use my credit card, which s in my name only, here are disturbing.  My God, how difficult is it really to get a credit card with a high limit?  After numerous moves and address changes, I can't imagine how many accounts I have open with no current actual cards to prove it, but I have to argue with a pharmacy here to charge $101. 58 "in todo" for my husband's meds because their  ATM machine, even though it claims to be international, doesn't work?  The girls at the pharmacy were amazed my cc worked for a charge that much.  I'm not sure I own a pair of shoes that cost less than that.  I have never felt so discrimated against in my life, as I have in the 4 years I have lived here.

With numerous investments that we relied upon to live worry free, fall through, I have spent every cent I owned to live here.  I have accepted my decision to move here as my choice and would never expect any hand out or bail out.  I feel that's what is wrong with this world we currently live in, not many take responsibility for their personal decisions.   My husband argues he will never move back to the US, but as I argued tonight if you expect me to live the rest of my life in the kitchen and cleaning my house, this life is not for me.  I have always lived my life as a trusting person, really what is the quality of life if you are always questioning your safety and intentions of others?  Ecuador has robbed me of that, I even now question relationships I have had with other good people in the US, and it makes me at times ashamed of myself.  I told my husband tonight, if money is what you are worried about and live your life for, let me go back and work.  That's what I'm good at, and I enjoy it.  To constantly worry about changing laws and prices, without any control, makes me apprehensive and afraid to live my life.

Is Ecuador all bad?  No.  My greatest fear is that I am getting used to my life here and being afraid to go back my life as it was in the US before, with nothing to fall back on there.  My husband can at times be in compromised health, and I'm younger than he is.  With no monetary control and currently learning what the long term value of investments are, I sometimes question my medical demands that I have made here on his behalf.  I'm not proud of those moments but I was raised to always take care of myself as no one else ever would.  I'm being real and honest, so if you question whether you can live in a foreign country with your lifestyle not changing, don't leave the US.  No matter how much you fight it, your lifestyle will never be the same, unless you are a trust fund recipient, which unfortunately for me I am not.  You can try to live every day in the moment, and be happy, sometimes it works l, and sometimes it's. a load of ****.  I know and understand that life is short and what you make of it, and most of the time I'm really, really good with it.  But sometimes, life just ***, and you want to just give up.  I guess, right now, I'm in that moment and wanted people that are questioning whether they should move to foreign country, that it does ***F at times.  If I could turn back time, and I'm going all chips in right now, I would have just said no and moved on.  I do love my husband with all that I am, or I wouldn't be writing this post in the wee hours of the morning, but sometimes you do have to look after your self or make the best of the time you are living in.  One day, Florida, I will be back, just don't know when......

Sophems, posts that are blatantly off-topic are sometimes placed under review. This post of yours isn't. Alright now to the topic at hand, from your initial posts I sensed you were like a fish out of water, and as despondent as your post seems it's the prevailing trend for most expats because they eventually move on or return home. Sure some will give excuses to save face according to one online study but the end result is one and the same – departure.

I think it's vital that people do their due diligence and not simply look at a destination from a cost of living perspective. I think this will save people a lot of heartache and money. One of my first friends here a young gringa and who was counting down the months before she moved to Europe told it as explicit as possible. Ecuador lacked the finer things she was accustomed to including arts, so when I told her I loved it here, she quipped back, “well you're a guy”,  :lol: But at such a young age she was intelligent enough to know what she wanted and didn't settle for anything less, and is doing great now.

But on the other side of the spectrum are people who can't afford to make unwise decisions especially with age and health being an issue, but what can you do when people are insistent. They want to buy before living here, and this not exclusive to Ecuador it's true the world over. My advice for people who want to move here or elsewhere is don't make drastic moves and if so do it gradually. If you are accustomed to a social life then develop one here. If you live in a nice neighborhood don't move to a lower income Ecuadorian area to save money. If anything move to a better residence than the one you have now with the difference in costs. But even a nice residence it's pretty meaningless if you don't have a social life or something your are passionate about doing to keep busy. This past Saturday I had an all Spanish one, meaning that the conversations were entirely in Spanish while hanging out with a couple of friends. Having a social life with locals is awesome, we hung out at Coffee Bar, listened to live Latino music, and I'm using Google Translator less and less.

People posting about missing this and missing that from their childhood, okay it's normal, but for gosh sakes make an effort to adapt and socialize with the people rather than viewing them as adversaries. The weekend before last I played a guy a game of chess at the park. I did that in an effort to assimilate more. I like having different types of bread and they go bad before they're finished so what I do is I take portions of each kind and give to an old man who washes and attends cars in my neighborhood. I do that to assimilate more and to show the same kind of compassion for the poor as anywhere else.

Life either here or elsewhere will be much smoother (and successful) when there is genuine effort to assimilate.

You have a great outlook vsimple. It sounds like what you have is a strong social structure?  Would that be correct? Having a strong social structure is very important to humans (for most people). When I talk about, culture, or traditions, what it really is, once broken down, is a strong social structure that we are comfortable with, and that we feel like we belong to, and are part of. A social structure is not the be all end all. However if you are not able to find, or adapt to the social structure of a particular country/state/tribe whatever it might be. You are probably going to feel like an outsider, or social outcast, and not fit in. One of the advantages for most people in the U.S. or other large first world countries is that there is a large social structure for about anything, and everything. Think that many people have become so accustomed to growing up with that in place their whole lives, that they don't even realize it's there. Certainly no one should be discouraged from moving to a new place, but finding, and fitting into a social structure that they are comfortable with is probably going to take time, and a lot of effort on their part. If a non native language is involved. It will probably take twice as long, and twice as much work.

j600rr wrote:

You have a great outlook vsimple. It sounds like what you have is a strong social structure?  Would that be correct? Having a strong social structure is very important to humans (for most people). When I talk about, culture, or traditions, what it really is, once broken down, is a strong social structure that we are comfortable with, and that we feel like we belong to, and are part of. A social structure is not the be all end all. However if you are not able to find, or adapt to the social structure of a particular country/state/tribe whatever it might be. You are probably going to feel like an outsider, or social outcast, and not fit in.

Yes, I'm working towards developing one, and being a humanist it's of utmost importance to interact with people and become part of society/community. And I agree 100% that inability to adapt is a major hindrance and I don't want to use the word failure but for me personally I would because Ecuadorians are genuinely friendly, welcoming, and Spanish is not incredibly difficult. 

One of the advantages for most people in the U.S. or other large first world countries is that there is a large social structure for about anything, and everything. Think that many people have become so accustomed to growing up with that in place their whole lives, that they don't even realize it's there.

That's true but if you look beneath the surface you'll realize it's not a homogeneous society. There's a place for expats here, and all it takes is being social and learning the language. There are many former expats who are now Ecuadorians who have made lovely lives from themselves here. I personally know Ecuadorians of European ancestry whose families migrated before and after World War 2 and are very successful. There are also other Ecuadorians from other parts of the world who were once expats and have assimilated nicely.

Certainly no one should be discouraged from moving to a new place, but finding, and fitting into a social structure that they are comfortable with is probably going to take time, and a lot of effort on their part. If a non native language is involved. It will probably take twice as long, and twice as much work.

Yes a lot of time and effort, but this is true the world over where one doesn't speak the native language whether it's here, France, Switzerland or elsewhere. Ultimately what you put in is what you'll get but at some point progress becomes noticeable and it's quite rewarding.

Hello again,  I really enjoyed reading all of the posts. People are indeed very interesting and as I said everyone is like a book and has a different story.  It certainly sounds like there are some very intelligent, friendly and charitable folks there.

Believe it or not 3 on 3 hockey is very exciting and probably the best game for those in shape :(   I still play in Canada with my sons in a 35+ league but of course 6 on 6 and it is becoming very difficult as I am giving up many years and every year the rink seems longer. 

I would not like to live in Quito but I certainly appreciate the information.  I prefer a smaller quieter place with fewer people and less traffic.

I will follow the advice here and open a new thread regarding the cost of things in Cotacachi when the time for our departure draws near.

gardener1 wrote:

;)

I remember on MASH when Potter said he and his wife won a bridge title in Missouri and Winchester proclaimed "That's like being the greatest hockey player in all of Ecuador."

gardener1 wrote:

Bob H ended up back in Phoenix with health problems that he felt were better treated in the US.

Good guy. I wish he'd check in from time to time.

Used to read his blog, which I no longer have a link to, but remember in his last entry, or one of the last ones, he mentioned the treatment wasn't going so well. He stopped posting on here shortly after. That was probably several years ago. Hopefully all has worked out for the best.

Definitely a good guy.

elevenferguson wrote:

For me my needs are quite simple, I like to walk, swim and have worked out at a gym regularly most of my life.  I enjoy the out doors, nature, reading and learning, ( I guess ice hockey is out).  :)   I would like to take further Spanish lessons there and also would like to volunteer to teach English, especially to kids :)

Cotacachi sounds very good to me, I have been researching various places in South and Central America for many months and do understand one will never know what it is really like without being there.  I am from Ontario Canada and grew up playing ice hockey outside for hours in - 10 to -20 for months during the winter, so I feel like a Siberian husky in the Philippines and do feel very comfortable and more content in temperatures between 10 to 20 C. 

Having said all this I do agree with some folks on this forum that being home and experiencing the culture one grew up with, the changing of the seasons, opening day for baseball followed by football season and hockey season, then the changing of the colors on the trees etc etc.  is something I absolutely love.  Come December like the geese it is time to fly :)  I have the advantages of all these beautiful things, great paid for health care and being close to family and friends for 8 months a year.

I do understand there are many who cannot do this financially and have not had the luxury to grow up in a place that perhaps does not have periods through out the year where the temperatures are pleasant,  nor the changing of the seasons  Also many folks from various other countries do not have paid for health care.

The bottom line is we all have a different story,  a different life experience and we are all looking for something different. 

I hope everyone finds what will truly make them happy, life is short and we must make the best of it.

I am also starting to study Spanish and I am very excited about learning another new language at this stage of my life and looking forward to immersing myself with the local people to learn their language and their culture.

If anyone can offer any information regarding Cotacachi I would appreciate it.  Things like the availability and cost of either a furnished one bedroom apartment or small house, is there a pool one could swim laps at and what gyms are available?

Muchas Gracias por leer mis comentarios.  Tengas un gran dia :)

Saludos,

John.

Greetings and good luck.  As was mentioned previously Bob H. would be a good source of information for you as he lived in Cebu until his Filipina wife died and then he chose Ecuador as his net stop.  He could not tolerate the heat and humidity in Cebu, which is 500 miles south of Manila.  My experience has been on Luzon up the west coast in Ilocos Sur, my wife's family's stomping grounds.  Your wife may find Ecuador very different as there are very few Filipinos in Ecuador.  Typically she will miss not being with family and friends.  Where in the Philippines do you stay?  I will never be in the Philippines in April or May, for us we get out in March, a good time to check out Hong Kong, Singapore etc.  Perhaps your Canadian winters are too long.  Our plan is to spend baseball season, April to October in Pennsylvania,  getting to the islands in time for all souls day.  Nice thing about the Philippines is entering the country with my duel citizen wife allows me to stay a year with just a stamp on my passport, never deal with immigration department.  Hope to hear from you soon.

Not to be mistaken, the drinking water in Swiss and Austria is the tastiest and the best in the world. Lived there, trinked water there, missing the Alp water anywhere in the world.

Hmmm ... well I have visited Ecuador three times over the last four years and moved to Quito in September 2016 and I have to say that has not been my experience.  I have had dependable water, while not always hot, everywhere I have been with the exception of Penipe during Carnival.  Penipe at the time was hosting an inordinate number of visitors putting quite a strain on the system.  I was staying with a family on one of the higher mountains.  So it was expected and not bothersome at all.  But then I had consciously made the decision to move to third world country.  Quito has been amazing.  While the processes taken for granted in the US are somewhat of a challenge here in Quito, I am up to it and have absolutely no regrets.  I think you just had a spate of bad luck with water.  Ecuadorians are very industrious people and for every problem there has been a solution.

elevenferguson wrote:

Hello again,  I really enjoyed reading all of the posts. People are indeed very interesting and as I said everyone is like a book and has a different story.  It certainly sounds like there are some very intelligent, friendly and charitable folks there.

Believe it or not 3 on 3 hockey is very exciting and probably the best game for those in shape :(   I still play in Canada with my sons in a 35+ league but of course 6 on 6 and it is becoming very difficult as I am giving up many years and every year the rink seems longer. 

I would not like to live in Quito but I certainly appreciate the information.  I prefer a smaller quieter place with fewer people and less traffic.

I will follow the advice here and open a new thread regarding the cost of things in Cotacachi when the time for our departure draws near.

I believe that 3 on 3 is more intense. In Ecuador the most popular sports are soccer and Ecuavolley (volleyball), and basketball too, at least in Quito. So perhaps one of those might appeal to you. Pick-up games occur all the time especially on Sundays. My favorite activity is however mountain biking and trekking once in a while.

But I agree that Quito is not for everyone, and personally I like it from Parque Ejido to Tomás Berlanga. A few suburbs are nice but about 60% of Metropolitan Quito has informal construction according to one news article. And btw these are lower income peripheral zones like Pomasqui .

All the best with your Cotacachi endeavors

vsimple wrote:

That's true but if you look beneath the surface you'll realize it's not a homogeneous society. There's a place for expats here, and all it takes is being social and learning the language. There are many former expats who are now Ecuadorians who have made lovely lives from themselves here. I personally know Ecuadorians of European ancestry whose families migrated before and after World War 2 and are very successful. There are also other Ecuadorians from other parts of the world who were once expats and have assimilated nicely.

Absolutely, not arguing that point one bit. It's not an either or scenario. It's not a zero sum scenario.
Because I enjoy my life in the U.S. and Maryland, it doesn't imply that I can't enjoy Ecuador, the people, the culture, and the life there. It doesn't imply that my life would be far inferior if I decided to live there.
It doesn't imply that the people are unwelcoming, and would reject me.There are many things I like in the U.S. that aren't available in Ecuador, and there are things in Ecuador that aren't available in the U.S. It just so happens that many of the activities and things that I enjoy at this point in time of my life, aren't available in Ecuador.That's not a knock, or a negative against Ecuador, but it is a reality. In no way do I look at Ecuador as being anyway inferior because of it.

j600rr wrote:
vsimple wrote:

Absolutely, not arguing that point one bit. It's not an either or scenario. It's not a zero sum scenario.
Because I enjoy my life in the U.S. and Maryland, it doesn't imply that I can't enjoy Ecuador, the people, the culture, and the life there. It doesn't imply that my life would be far inferior if I decided to live there.
It doesn't imply that the people are unwelcoming, and would reject me.There are many things I like in the U.S. that aren't available in Ecuador, and there are things in Ecuador that aren't available in the U.S. It just so happens that many of the activities and things that I enjoy at this point in time of my life, aren't available in Ecuador.That's not a knock, or a negative against Ecuador, but it is a reality. In no way do I look at Ecuador as being anyway inferior because of it.

I understand what you're saying j600rr. My posts here are purely from an Ecuadorian resident standpoint and sharing my perspective and experiences. I post mainly about Quito, encounters and relationships with Ecuadorians.

And to reassure you I have never once thought you deemed Ecuador as inferior. And to reiterate I know what you're saying and that Ecuador is not for you, there's no issue dude.

vsimple wrote:

There are many former expats who are now Ecuadorians who have made lovely lives from themselves here..

Just like once an immigrant always an immigrant, once an expat, always an expat (unless they return to their native country)

https://www.google.com.ec/search?q=defi … iate&*

vsimple wrote:

And to reassure you I have never once thought you deemed Ecuador as inferior. And to reiterate I know what you're saying and that Ecuador is not for you, there's no issue dude.

Cool. Figured we were good. Things have kind of taken a life of their own since my one post. My general intent was hopefully not to offend anyone, but to point to the fact that I think at times people become preoccupied too much with weather, and that they're eliminating a vast majority of places that have pretty much all the things they are looking for, and that would probably be a good fit for them. This is of course only my opinion, and am not trying to pass it off as a proven scientific fact

Hello,

It's good to hear from you.  I am staying in Dumaguete City on the island of Negros Oriental.  It is a 4 hour boat ride to Cebu.  We have been  to Cebu many times. I have had to go there in the past to get an exit clearance prior to leaving the country and like yourself being married to a Filipina I can now get a stamp in my passport when entering the country allowing me to stay for a year. It is nice not to have to go through the hassle at immigration every 59 days.

The winters in Ontario Canada are quite long.  In March it is still very cold and there could be snow at any time. Where I live in Ontario the average high for the next week is - 7  and the low - 16.  So at the moment my choice is that or  27 C with 90% humidity where I am now.  Both are unduly uncomfortable for me which is why I am looking for an alternative.

I have been retired for 10 years and have no intention of spending another winter of my life in the frozen great white North.

I do wish the winter was not so long or severe, even though I am Canadian and we grow up on ice skates, I do love baseball.  When Toronto got a MLB team in 1977, ( the Blue Jays) I said to my son, they must be crazy thinking anybody will watch baseball here.  Well I was sure wrong!m  It took many years but last year for the 81 home games the average attendance was 41,800. 

My wife and I play softball for two hours a day twice a week with a good group of people in Canada during the summer.  We start in May and finish about the end of September. 

We also play volleyball in a gym one evening a week for two hours and quite often go to the local school yard to play one on one basketball.   We both love sports and most physical activities.

What I do here in the Philippines I subscribe to MLB.com and listen to the games via radio on my laptop.  I have a choice of whether to listen to the Toronto broadcasters or the oppositions broadcasters.  It is only $20.00 for the year, well worth it.

We have decided to come back here to the Philippines later this year in November and stay until probably mid April.  In all probability it will be my last trip here.  In 2018 if all goes well we plan to travel to Ecuador.  That gives me about 18 months to continue studying Spanish which I am finding difficult but thoroughly enjoy. 

It sure makes life interesting and enjoyable when a person has something to continually look forward to. 

I guess you will be heading state side very shortly before the really hot weather arrives.  Enjoy the baseball season.  Are you a Pirates or a Phillies fan? 

Have a great day,

Jack.

Nards Barley wrote:
vsimple wrote:

There are many former expats who are now Ecuadorians who have made lovely lives from themselves here..

Just like once an immigrant always an immigrant, once an expat, always an expat (unless they return to their native country)

https://www.google.com.ec/search?q=defi … iate&*

I beg to differ and I think some circumstances should not be limited to textbook definitions. Dual/tripe/quadruple citizens are perfect examples. In my last residence lived Ecuadorian-Americans. Here they are Ecuadorians and enjoy the same rights as other Ecuadorian citizens. In the U.S. they are Americans and enjoy the same rights as other citizens. In neither are they expats and are in fact dual-citizens. They have a house there, and have an apartment here.

j600rr wrote:
vsimple wrote:

Cool. Figured we were good. Things have kind of taken a life of their own since my one post. My general intent was hopefully not to offend anyone, but to point to the fact that I think at times people become preoccupied too much with weather, and that they're eliminating a vast majority of places that have pretty much all the things they are looking for, and that would probably be a good fit for them. This is of course only my opinion, and am not trying to pass it off as a proven scientific fact

It was all in good discussion, and I'm certain our positive exchange in some way helped or will help someone seeking information. It's very interesting learning about what's most important for people when deciding on a location.

elevenferguson wrote:

Hello,

It's good to hear from you.  I am staying in Dumaguete City on the island of Negros Oriental.  It is a 4 hour boat ride to Cebu.  We have been  to Cebu many times. I have had to go there in the past to get an exit clearance prior to leaving the country and like yourself being married to a Filipina I can now get a stamp in my passport when entering the country allowing me to stay for a year. It is nice not to have to go through the hassle at immigration every 59 days.

The winters in Ontario Canada are quite long.  In March it is still very cold and there could be snow at any time. Where I live in Ontario the average high for the next week is - 7  and the low - 16.  So at the moment my choice is that or  27 C with 90% humidity where I am now.  Both are unduly uncomfortable for me which is why I am looking for an alternative.

I have been retired for 10 years and have no intention of spending another winter of my life in the frozen great white North.

I do wish the winter was not so long or severe, even though I am Canadian and we grow up on ice skates, I do love baseball.  When Toronto got a MLB team in 1977, ( the Blue Jays) I said to my son, they must be crazy thinking anybody will watch baseball here.  Well I was sure wrong!m  It took many years but last year for the 81 home games the average attendance was 41,800. 

My wife and I play softball for two hours a day twice a week with a good group of people in Canada during the summer.  We start in May and finish about the end of September. 

We also play volleyball in a gym one evening a week for two hours and quite often go to the local school yard to play one on one basketball.   We both love sports and most physical activities.

What I do here in the Philippines I subscribe to MLB.com and listen to the games via radio on my laptop.  I have a choice of whether to listen to the Toronto broadcasters or the oppositions broadcasters.  It is only $20.00 for the year, well worth it.

We have decided to come back here to the Philippines later this year in November and stay until probably mid April.  In all probability it will be my last trip here.  In 2018 if all goes well we plan to travel to Ecuador.  That gives me about 18 months to continue studying Spanish which I am finding difficult but thoroughly enjoy. 

It sure makes life interesting and enjoyable when a person has something to continually look forward to. 

I guess you will be heading state side very shortly before the really hot weather arrives.  Enjoy the baseball season.  Are you a Pirates or a Phillies fan? 

Have a great day,

Jack.

Was a pirates fan in the 1960's and early 70's, used to hitchhike to Forbes Field, about 250 miles, to see Roberto Clemente play.  I now live less than 2 miles from the Phillies AAA team, the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs, so the last ten years I have been following the younger players through the system.
I was going to suggest some places on Luzon such as Bagiuo City or Tagaytay,  which have high enough elevation that could make March and April livable.  50 pesos to the dollar is a good exchange rate currently in the Philippines, you may have a loss in purchasing power switching from Canadian to US dollars.  I have noticed normally happy Canadians a little grumpy on recent cruises because of the strong dollar.  Having spent a lot of time in the Philippines,  I am sure you will be ready for the changes you will be required to make in Ecuador.  Good luck.

elevenferguson wrote:

Jack.

The Blue Jays drew really good crowds when they opened the new ball park in the late 80's for a few years didn't they? Plus they had some really good teams in the 90's which am sure helped with attendance. Who can forget Joe Carter's walk off homerun to win the World Series? I even remember some of those teams in the mid 80's guess it was? With guys like George Bell, and Jesse Barfield. Those were also some really good teams.

Montreal Expos were a different story. If only they had some fan support. They had some great players that they could never keep. Think they actually had the best record in baseball during the strike season. The strike that ended baseball early. If Montreal would have had the money, and support, probably could have put together  a really impressive 5 or 6 year run. As it is, they are now in Washington. Another place that has never supported baseball, but guess the politicians feel they need a baseball team for some reason. Must of been their reward for doing such a stellar job of running the country :D

Wow, this has really drifted off topic.