New to Denmark

I am coming to Denmark to study MSc. and work. How is social life in Denmark? I don't speak danish so is it going to be difficult to interact with Dane people? Is it easy to find part time job?

It is difficult to find job, and get socialize with local people without knowing local language. With English language you can survive here with your own money. If you want to get close to anyone or to earn money; language is must. Either you have formal degree doesn't matter, language does. If you concentrate more on language and local culture it may help you in future.

Thanks for your response.

Getting a job can be hard without any knowledge of Danish unless you can find a workplace, which uses English as lingua franca. I would always recommend learning the language, wherever you move to. It always gets you extra points. It depends where you're going to study, using English on campus will be no problem.

Please be aware that as a student you are only allowed to work up to 20 hours a week. The rules are administrated very strictly, and we don't talk of an average work over a period, but within every week.
https://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/coming_ … cation.htm

You'll also find some good advice here: http://studyindenmark.dk/

/Nellie

Since Danes (generally) are among the best English (as a second language) speaking people in Europe, you should not have any "off-campus" difficulties with meeting Danish people.

However, do learn to speak "fundamental" Danish at least (for starters), as it demonstrates your sincere interest in immersing with the culture. It will also, more readily so, open local doors of opportunities for you, e.g., job vacancy contacts.

Do not be afraid to make Danish pronunciation mistakes, during your learning process. Danes are usually very tolerant of foreigners who make the effort to speak their language, despite any mistakes, and will take the time to immediately correct your mistakes, in a kindly manner.

For part-time jobs, the big hotels are always in need of housekeeping workers, and will usually hire a foreigner who can speak (even the most basic) English. Since the vast majority of Danes are academically inclined, then your (probably Danish) supervisor will most likely devise a work schedule to coincide with your class schedule.

Also, take a look at the forum topic "English speaking jobs in Denmark" Also, Nellie Berg's post# 5, is spot-on, in my opinion.

Good luck, and please come to fully appreciate the golden "opportunity" accorded to you, to obtain your MSc. degree, from within the State of Denmark. :cheers:

kRUBEN, Thankyou very much. Your answer gave me hope.