QRP Program

Does anyone know what the current requirements are for the Qualified Retirement Program are? Also, what is the estimated waiting time? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Hi Ray,

I've read some very negative reviews on the QRP, basically stating that it benefits the Belizian gov't more than the retiree. There are many aspects of the program that are not in the long term best interest of the retiree, such as time in the QRP is not creditable towards Residency, the proof of financial responsibility is sometimes difficult & not well managed, etc.

I can't remember where I read this, I'm pretty sure it was in one of the many Belize expat blogs out there, but I recommend you do significant research on it to make sure it matches with your goals in moving/retiring to Belize, before you enter into the program.

My impression was that it had short term benefits, but in the long term, there are better options, especially if your plans are to stay in Belize for an extended period of time.

Hope this is helpful.

Hi Ray;
I agree with the previous comment. In addition, You must prove a life time income and bring into Belize US$2000./ mo. The benefits are short term and if your situation or plan changes, the benefits will need to be paid back and you would start at day one for the Permanent Residency Program. While the immigration Dept. administers the PR program, the QRP program is administered by the Belize Tourist Board (BTB) an can be applied for before you arrive. Approval time is much shorter for QRP but the exact time I am unsure of. There are pros and cons to both programs that you need to know to make an informed decision on whether or not it is of benefit to you.

Here is a link that may help explain your residency options in Belize. http://bit.ly/23EIeDp

Here is also a link to the BTB's QRP Incentive Program Document http://belizetourismboard.org/wp-conten … m-2016.pdf

Hope this helps. If you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you for your insight. Much appreciated.

Thanks Bill. :)

The requirements for QRP are on the Belize Tourism web site. It is pretty easy to qualify. The biggest benefit of the program is the ability to import a vehicle, household goods,  boat etc. without paying duty. You also do not have to get a tourist stamp each month which can be a pain.
I have been in the program fo 2 years and up until this year I have been satisfied. The program right now is a mess in that they have not issued new ID Cards to current members causing problems for us. We can't get answers as to when the cards will be available and with out the cards we are not sure of our immigration status and we can't take advantage of any of th benefits without the cards. BTB is not forthcoming with information as to when this will be resolved. I would not apply until they straighten this mess out.

Peace out

mjm1953. Thank you for your input. It's much appreciated.

Thanks for the input CayeCaulker.

Qualifying Process

Anyone forty-five years and older may qualify for the program. A person who qualifies can also include his or her dependents in the program. Dependents include spouses and children under the age of eighteen. However, it can include a person up to the age of twenty-three if enrolled in a college or university.

INCOME FROM PENSION OR OTHER SOURCE

1. Qualified Retired Persons
To be designated a Qualified Retired Person under the program, applicants must receive a monthly income of not less than US $2,000 through a pension or annuity that has been generated outside of Belize.

2. Certification
i) When a company grants a pension, that company has to prove that it has been in operation for at least 20 years by submitting proof of registration.

ii) The company that grants the pension shall certify that the pension of no less than US $2,000.00 per month will be forwarded to a reputable financial institution within Belize. This letter must be signed by the manager, president, or by a legal representative of the company.

iii) Certification by a Certified Public Accountant independent of the company:
-Stating the date the company was established
-Verifying the authenticity of the above mentioned letter
-Certifying that the obligation signed in favor of the beneficiary is not less than US $2000.00 per month.

iv) The applicant must present two (2) bank references from the company that is sending the pension.

v) The company granting the pension must present a document outlining its pension scheme.

Requirement ii, iii, iv could be omitted where the company sending the pension is considered to be a Fortune Five Hundred Company.

3. Background Check
All applications are subject to a background check to be carried out by the Ministry of National Security.

http://www.belizeretirementguide.com/be … rogram.htm

Something that just became apparent to me after my horrible/failed (see other posts I made on the subject) experience attempting to open a domestic bank account last year under the changed banking rules in Belize. 

How can anyone certifie in ii) above they are  sending "no less than US $2,000.00 per month will be forwarded to a reputable financial institution within Belize" if one can't even open an account until you are a resident??   :dumbom:

It would be interesting to know how many fewer people nowadays are actually qualifying for QRP with this additional hurdle to climb.  How many people nowadays just give up in frustration?

I am glad I made my decision early on not to even try for QRP, and just be a part time resident/repeating tourist.  :cool:

That was the clause we forwarded, Via Scotia bank, to  Central bank when our initial application was refused. the Central bank then permitted our opening the account. We have not as yet decided if we are going to use the QRP but just pointing out that clause and that we would not be able to pay the $2000 US per month once we do apply for QRP without  a Belize account that accepts wire transfers did the trick. At the moment the Belize  bank is still unable to accept wired monies from the US.

I just show them my credit cards transactions and my ATM withdrawals in Belize along with any deposits I make to my Atlantic international account. So far they have accepted this for renewal of QRP.

terrific wrote:

That was the clause we forwarded, Via Scotiabank, to  Central bank when our initial application was refused. the Central bank then permitted our opening the account.

I am wanting to use Atlantic Bank, mostly because the friendly attitude of the people is helpful vs "the we can't be bothered attitude" of the people at  Scotiabank in Placencia. Plus Atlantic seems to have found a new Correspondent bank allowing them to again do wire transfers.  Having said that, did the folks at Scotiabank suggest that to you, or did you request they forward that info to Central Bank?

I might just need to start over, I'm sure my US letters of referral are now outdated.  :dumbom:

mjm1953 wrote:

I just show them my credit cards transactions and my ATM withdrawals in Belize along with any deposits I make to my Atlantic international account. So far they have accepted this for renewal of QRP.

Renewal is one thing, but I bet it's a whole different world for an American just starting the initial QRP process now that the US has scared the pants off the Belize bankers with the new (last year) tougher banking regulations.

As far as I am concerned the program is a mess and I wouldn't apply until the issues with ID cards is resolved. They have issued no  ID cards to anyone in the program for the current year. Our immigration status is in question and we can't take advantage of any of the benefits of our he program.

Hi when we filed the paper work through the Belmopan branch of Scotia we had put a sentence in the line as to why e wanted the account. After the refusal the person handling the application suggested we could find some Government official documents that inferred the need of a local account. But said they could not do it we had to write a letter with the information which they(the branch) sent back to Central bank with the  formal 'appeal' that the bank makes.
I must say we have only had the best service from the staff the Belmopan branch everyone has been helpful and attentive to our needs.
They still have not got the debit cards sorted,  that were due in the "New Year" not sure which new year that meant. Presently they only issue ATM cards which cannot be used for anything other than ATMs in Scotia banks within Belize, so not really too helpful.

Those tougher regulations have causd such a problem not because the Belize Banks can't handle them but because the American banks do not want to comply, so just washed their hands of it all. Leaving the Belize banking system with no Correspondent bank in the states. Scotia uses Chase bank Via Canada, which was in place before the new rules came in and was not withdrawn. The International banks work differently to the local banking and some friends have had difficulty and lengthy transfer of  monies from the international department  to the local branches.

Thanks sloputtputt. :)

Thanks terrific. Appreciated.

Thanks willtheold

mjm1953 wrote:

As far as I am concerned the program is a mess and I wouldn't apply until the issues with ID cards is resolved. They have issued no  ID cards to anyone in the program for the current year. Our immigration status is in question and we can't take advantage of any of the benefits of our he program.

I know reporters are calling it the Passport Printer, but I wonder if this broken device is used for other official documents. If so it could help explain the ID card problem.

"By BBN Staff: Operations at the Belize Passport Office are strained, because the passport printer stopped working.

Minister of State responsible for Immigration, Beverly Williams, explained that the machine had been working ‘intermittently' burning out its replacement parts only hours after it had been fixed.

Williams said that the Ministry is in the process of procuring a new machine; however, the process takes time."

Full article at: https://www.breakingbelizenews.com/2017 … r-service/

Possibly as the new QRP cards are supposed to be machine readable for what reason have no idea since I don't think they have the capability to read them!

rayonthebay wrote:

Thanks sloputtputt. :)

My pleasure!

Can anyone tell me if the card issue has been resolved?