Gun laws

without going into opinions on the laws, can someone tell me who can have one and what caliber (size)and how you get it once you get a permit ??
I really dont want to hear your reasons for not having a gun or or why you thing noone should I just want the facts if you have them !
thanks Sam

I bet if i asked for opinions there would be alot of responses by now

You have to submit an application for permit, and you are not guaranteed the right to carry. From what I understand, the process involves putting in the application with the local police department, and they will conduct an interview of you, where they will cover: background check/criminal record, your reason for wanting to carry/own firearms, and what applicable training you have to show that you can responsibly carry/own. The ultimate decision is up to the office that interviews you. Once licensed, you are only allowed to carry/own the specific firearms and amount of ammo that is indicated on your license. You can open carry or concealed carry with a permit.

Weapons restrictions: Civilians are not allowed to possess all assault rifles, automatic and semiautomatic firearms, rifles of calibre greater than 7.62 mm or 0.30 inch, sawed-off rifles or shotguns, shotguns of barrel length 21 inches or less, rifled shotguns, handguns of calibre greater than 9mm or .38inch, armour-piercing ammunition, silencers, or extended handgun magazines.

I am told there are licensed dealers in the country where you can purchase firearms and ammo, but prices can be high. I am still trying to figure out the process of bringing firearms with me when I move. The impression is that you cannot legally own more than just a few firearms, even if you argue that you are a collector. There doesn't seem to be much solid information online on what is allowed and what isn't. I'm told that enforcement is not strict, but I would rather not risk it. I will be going to Belize sometime before December, and hope to find out more, which I will gladly pass along. I plan on staying at The Placencia Hotel, in Placencia, which has a full service gun club. Hoping to get some good info from there.

Also, I am going to share my opinion anyways :) It seems there are a lot of anti-gun sentiment in Belize, but a rather sensible gun policy. I don't agree with some of the caliber restrictions, etc., but it is workable. I wish people would realize that not everyone that wants to own or carry a firearm is a "gun nut". I have been in the situation where I have needed to draw a weapon on someone to protect myself, it's not something I get excited about. Luckily, I did not have to shoot. Wildlife attacks, while also rare, do happen. I'd rather be prepared for a day that never comes than be caught unprepared.

Hope this helps.

This could be the best responce on this topic I have read on any forum anywhere PERIOD!!!!
thanks
and I share your opinion
SAM

I have a place in Bullet Tree near San Ignacio, and am definitely going to have a gun as most of the expatriots I know there do.  As far as I can tell, there is not a limitation on what caliber you can have although most of my friends have 12-guage shotguns (great home protection gun).  You can find the permit applications online.  I think it's about $250 US and it has to be renewed each year.  My friends tell me the government does follow up on those and they may actually even have to inspect the gun each year to make sure you still have it.  I will be down there in September and plan to fill out the paperwork and get the ball rolling.  You can apparently ship your gun in, and then you have to pay the duty which is steep.  I've seen gun dealerships in Belize City and will check them out when I'm there.

Where on line is the application

http://www.belize.gov.bz/public/Attachm … 153771.pdf

now who to send it to

I am an avid skeet and trap shooter and would like to know the regs. also for bringing my sporting guns in country. please update how the gun clubs was. Maybe you will meet some people there that could answer these questions for us.
Thanks