Do you speak Arabic?

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Arabic is essential for a successful integration in Saudi Arabia. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Arabic? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Saudi Arabia?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Saudis?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

English can be understood by every one every where , Arabic is no longer the sole language u need for ur daily activities

rockerjy wrote:

English can be understood by every one every where , Arabic is no longer the sole language u need for ur daily activities

Wish you all the luck  when you visit government office here

My manager is a native Arabian  & he also has the TOEFL certificate in English language.
He is the one who taught me Arabic language in a very simplified way.
I suggest you look for one of your Arabian contacts & he would easily teach you Arabic better than any Arabic course

Well

Daily life does not include visiting a government office
but I am sorry,, I speak Arabic my self
yet , I am not sure why an Expat needs to visit a Government office

most of the services now are online
and others, you need a Saudi guy to follow your papers and all

rockerjy wrote:

Well

Daily life does not include visiting a government office
but I am sorry,, I speak Arabic my self
yet , I am not sure why an Expat needs to visit a Government office

most of the services now are online
and others, you need a Saudi guy to follow your papers and all

Good morning. The local supermarket guy doesn't speak English. The shawarma guy doesn't speak English. The cabbie doesn't speak English. The imam of masjid if you need to ask him anything pertaining to religion doesn't speak English. 7 guys in my office don't speak English but somehow work gets done. The waterboy doesn't speak English. The dry clean place guy...yes you got it doesn't speak English. The barber doesn't speak English. The maid that just came from a non English speaking 3rd world country doesn't speak English but is quick enough to learn Arabic and get things done. Satellite installation guy doesn't speak English. The security guards at some compounds don't speak English.

When I visit the hospital I try to converse with the nurse or doctor in English but they somehow feel obliged to speak in Arabic.

Those are some of my daily chores. Other feel free to comment.

well said ham...
This is exactly what I meant up there but gave example of govt office.

I didn't speak fluently arbic language but I will try learn daily use arbic words...

No I would like to learn to speak arabic

yes, I speak Arabic.

Yes, Alhumdulillha I do speak Arabic fluently. Language is the only thing that allows you to adopt different cultures. Arabic adds a big value especially when we are in middle east countries. They are listed in the most advanced countries, but yet the 65% of their population can't speak and understand English properly, and in the Government section is 100% Arabic. So before moving to any of middle east countries making sure to adopt at least basic Arabic would add an advantage.

Yes, I do.

Hello All

I can speak Arabic, and I know some Arabic Teacher for foreigner

so if some one want to learn Arabic you can contact me and I will help you shore

Usama Atta

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

No, I'm still looking for someone who can teach me basic conversation....

Arabic is a must in Saudi Arabia both for your future and daily chores. keeping your point in a most suitable and understandable way hold the key in any communication. Moreover learning the local language of any  country helps us to understand the the culture and mindset of that  country people .

Not at present. Due to the nature of my job, I can get away without it with help of local interns and residents.
However, I have faced great difficulty in government offices without Arabic though it's supposed to be the 2nd 'official' language 😏

Speaking Arabic is necessary

Hi

I don't know whether is widely agreed among all expats community specially the UK community. However I live in Khobar and in this city most are expats friendly, English speaking and open minded saudis.

Currently I'm learning how to speak at least basic Arabic and for the moment I fell very competent in reading Arabic scrip although some times I don't know the meaning lol.

I'm learning by means of an Arabic Course I bought called Living Language and actually is really good if u complement it with daily conversations with locals.

I do speak Arabic.... But not learned from any institutions.... By experience only...

For me English was enough as in bank majority speaks English.  But now I move to another bank where correspondences are in English, but normal clerical level never speaks english... So I will have to speak arabic.... I am 60% good in Arabic...

There are Arabic teaching institutions. ..

How are you...

Well it depends on how keen you are to learn and experience the local culture. Otherwise most of the people do speak and understand English. At the same time some places you would need a translator.

Hello

i can speak Arabic fluently , when i was new in Kingdom  , i dont know even single words in Arabic .i learn language from my colleague ,they are from Arab countries , so i  start speak with in months .

Thanks

contact me on whatsapp ***

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

No, I don't speak Arabic

dear,
yes.
but not a higher accent...

thanks

Actually if you are talking to intellectual arabs you would not find it hard in your daily life. However most of the saudis are uneducated and ignorant that makes it very important to know how to speak arabic..

I am an Arab from Jordan.
I live in Saudi Arabia for the last 40 years.
I believe to know Arabic is not that big advantage...
I deal with people who don't speak Arabic more than those who speak the language

Hi prsclla!
IT Is the way your name is written in Arabic it's just the consonants. Now read the consonants  loud.
Aha, but  it could even sound like proscullo... 
Yes I do speak Arabic and learned it by my subconscious mind.
By realising that all different nationals working here speak Arabic.
But they are not sitting in evening classed but learned coz they have to. The Saudis simply talk to them in Arabic and that's it. 

So and then it's simply the fact, that we learn like we learned when we were kids.
Our subconscious mind collects the information and memory and associations added. And we are able after 2 years to spreak the language used in our common environment
If you want to learn faster you use hypnotic tapes.. Subliminals,help you first to relax physically completely and then  mentally totally present you listen to the language, you want to learn.

Enjoy
Atf

Atf wrote:

Our subconscious mind collects the information and memory and associations added. And we are able after 2 years to spreak the language used in our common environment
If you want to learn faster you use hypnotic tapes.. Subliminals,help you first to relax physically completely and then  mentally totally present you listen to the language, you want to learn.

:huh: That was too simple. Why did you even ask @Priscilla?

Don't kW

Yup I do
All credit goes to the people I met here
As a working expat I didn't had other option than communicating with local language.
Started making local friends.
Made sure that I'll communicate with them any how
Sometimes in English and most of the times by gestures.

yes, I speak Arabic.

Really

yeah I do, that am originally Arab and back in London my parents where insisting on us to talk in Arabic and we were finding it really hard but we did good..
In Saudi Arabia, there are many private tutors for teaching Arabic class and there are many institutes for the same purpose..

Arabic is a great world level language and I have expereinced, the Saudi Arabians rightly give a lot of importance to their language. They use their language in their business systems too a lot. Obviously, it is highly desirable for a foreign expatriate to deal good in this langauge.

We in India have an extra ordinary diversity of languages and cultures. The language of Urdu was born and flourished in India and has great affinity to Arabic also. Unfortunately, this language is being neglected a lot in its birthplace India now a days. However, as an Indian expatriate in Saudi Arabia I found my knowledge of Urdu and a closeness with Arabic very fruitful to succeed professionally and socially here in Saudi Arabia. I even suggest my fellow Indians to respect and promote our own culture and languages to be viable internationally in our national pursuits of professional, business and social goals as well

It depends on the nature of your job. Like nurses, doctors, technicians, pharmacists and other alllied health personnel, it is a must for them to learn the Arabic language because they are dealing with patients and most of them do not speak English fluently. And these professionals learn Arabic faster because they interact with the patients everyday.

I'm in KSA for almost 10years now and I only know very basic Arabic because I work with people who uses English as their first language.

So if I meet a patient in the hallway asking for direction, I do hand gestures to guide them lol😀.

Hi Priscilla:

Thank you very much for inviting me to the question.

I do agree with you that speaking Arabic is essential for a successful integration in Saudi Arabia. This is because Saudi Arabia is an Islamic Arabic country. Arabic is the language that every Muslim should study it because it is the language of the Quran. Second thing Saudis are Arabs.

Yes I speak Arabic. I learned the language in my country (Eritrea). There are many places where you can attend a language course in Saudi Arabia. You can search in Google for the places and addresses.

It is easy to communicate in a different language (English) with Saudis.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks and regards,
Saleh

For a quick learning i joined a mobile shop for 2 months because most of the customers were Egyptians and Saudis. To communicate with them you have no other choice except speaking Arabic . In the beginning some problems but after some time i was fluent in speaking arabic. I think the best way to learn arabic is to communicate with arabic people whether you can speak or you can't speak arabic. JUST TRY and you will see that they will use easy arabic so that you can learn basics of Arabic.

Sadly, I cannot converse and don't understand Arabic except for some terms as taught by my Saudi colleagues but that's it as I don't exert extra effort to learn more about the language. Other comments were accurate pertaining to government offices, traffic enforcers, police, stores, etc. which requires everyone to speak the language. But I am surviving in KSA, so far. :)

It is my pleasure to share you my insights regarding learning Arabic language ,  first all , i am bilingual ,  i am speaking both English and Arabic , the last is my mother tongue, speaking it intuitively. I think learning Arabic language is very easy as learning English. I know many people learn this language by interaction with  Arabic native.

Yes I do speak arabic very good
I wish I can help