Do you speak Irish?

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking English is essential for a successful integration in Ireland. Do you agree?

What about Irish?

Where can one attend a language course in Ireland?

Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Irish people?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Yes, I do think speaking English is essential for successful integration in Ireland. Speaking Irish is not necessary.

No, When I was working in Ireland, I didn't feel that having knowledge of the Irish Language was of any advantage to living there.  Of course, it would be a nice gesture to show to the locals that as a foreigner , you have bothered to learn it to integrate better into the society there, but I never felt that it was necessary.

Very few people on this Island use Irish for their first language. There are a few communities where it is the primary language but even most Irish born are not fluent in their own language as in reality English is the language of use.

When I first returned to the land of my people I tried asking for the toilet (in filling stations, pubs etc.) using the Irish word. After needing to switch to the English toilet or English slang Loo the first dozen times I gave up. Also gave up on my plan  to  expand from the few words I had learned from my grandparents. After all the word for toilet may well be the most important word to know in any language - especially if you are an enthusiastic coffee, tea, or beer imbiber. Also the language is very loacal so that a word in one village may have a different meaning in a village 5 or 6 miles away.

Best to concentrate on English if you have a desire to communicate in over 90% of our settlements.

God bless!    Donald

Hi Pricillia,  English is the general  language of communication here in Ireland.
Irish language are spoken by very few people.

Hi l do speak Arabic franch English
u right Irish also good to know to learn to speak l wlll try

You don't NEED to learn Irish, even in the Gaeltacht in the town in which we live. English is the primary language.

However, we're enjoying learning the language. My husband's doing better than I am, mostly because he's always been a better student than I am. We live close to a Gaeltacht, have spent a week in an immersion course in the colaiste (secondary boarding school) there. Currently we're taking classes from a wonderful teacher.

We've made much more progress since we made a commitment to always say at least please and thank you in Irish, plus we start the morning with a few mintues conversation. This was his doing, not mine. I'm joining in so I'll know when he's asking me if I want a cup of tea or telling me what time it is. I've discovered this is much more meaningful than those dopey, stilted conversations one always has to memorize when learning a language.

Irish is a really hard language to learn, not for the faint of heart, but it gives you a window into the Irish soul. I'm learning Irish because I want to know how the people who raised me (elderly Irish-born grandparents) thought and why they expressed themselves in English the way they did. I believe language reflects and shapes a people's thinking.

But you definitely do NOT need to know Irish in your daily life. If you have to choose, focus on English. The Irish have carried their natural love of word play from Irish into English. People come from all over the world to learn English in Ireland because the accent is pure. Pope John 23rd's first language was Italian, but he spoke English with an Irish accent because his teacher was Irish.

People in our town are very supportive of our efforts and are happy to correct our miserable "briste Gaelige" (broken Irish).

One of the biggest problems we've had is finding a true beginner's class. Most people educated in Ireland have had Irish force fed to them for 12 years. They're nearly all convinced they can't speak a word, have forgotten everything they ever knew. Not so. The beginner's course in the immersion week was so far over our heads they had to start a new class for us. (It took them about five minutes and the teacher was excellent, a local fellow.)

It's taken us a while, but we've now found a class in the community at a true beginner level. Most of our classmates are blow ins who've married someone from the Gaeltacht. Their children attend Irish-speaking schools and they want to reinforce that. Our teacher is a lovely young local woman whose first language is Irish.

There are conversational Irish groups that meet in our local library and in a local hotel, but the biggest opportunity to practice has come from our weekly visit to the farmers' market. Most of the vendors there speak Irish, a good few of them are active in Comhaltas (a nationwide organization devoted to traditional Irish music, dance and language). There's less opportunity in the local shops, although our dear butcher has gotten over his initial alarm and joined us in the simple greetings he remembers from his school days.

One of the neatest things we've seen so far happened in the immersion course (several colaistes--colleges--around the country offer them). A young woman from Galway had won a scholarship in a radio contest. When we met the first day she assured us she didn't know a word of the language. Within three days she was chattering away in Irish like an animated magpie. It was all in there, she just didn't know it. Watching her unfold was like watching a rose blooming in time-elapsed video. People really do know more than they realize.

As usually, I've gone on way too long. Mea culpa.