Speaking Twi in Ghana

Hi everyone,

It is widely agreed that speaking Twi is essential for a successful integration in Ghana. Do you agree? Share your experience!

Do you speak Twi? If so, where did you learn this language? Where can one attend a language course in Ghana?

If not, how do you cope with daily activities? Is it easy to communicate in a different language with Ghanaians?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Twi is the lingua franca of Ghana but actually there are many languages and Ga is the language around Accra.
Learning Twi is helpful but not essential unless you are living in a rural location.
It is always good to know a few words or phrases as they are appreciated.

Your response is sound and subtle, but not withstanding the fact that it is not unilaterally accepted that Twi is the lingua franca of Ghana. There are many Southern indigenous people who do not accept this premise, based on the historical fact that all the peasants from the Twi speaking territories migrated down south in droves circa 1980, and our educational system was diminished by governments of that era, and the peasants and even university dropouts of Twi speaking origin refused to learn the language of the southerners and far beyond, the English Language (The National Language). Probably, the only thing that binds us together as a civilized Nation. In their bid to be welcoming and receptive, the trend became an invasion, sooner than later over half of the population of Accra became migrants of Twi speaking regions, when they acquired more political power and savvy, their representatives forced the issue. The Education Minister of the NPP and numerous occasions during her reign has tried to force legislation forcing people of other ethnic persuasions to have their kids study Twi as a compulsory subject, ignoring the fact that they have their own mother tongues, Ewe, Hausa, Fanti, Ga, Nzema and others. Twi is not essential for any given purpose in Ghana, not even engaging local traders.  I am a native, I don't speak Twi and will never speak Twi, my life in Accra is far more pleasant that way. Devoid of all the noise, commotion and ignorance on TV.  I won't delve any further into the demise which this Twi language enforcement and proliferation has sank Ghana into. Thanks.

I speak only basic twi and i communicate in english but it can be a struggle.  I too i am looking for tuition.

Your analysis is correct. I actually understand Ga fully but do not understand Twi well. However, English and some few basic Twi phrases is all you need.