Let's get real!!

Hi everyone...My name is Sandi, and my better half Bob and I are from a small town (73,000) Sarnia, Ontario Canada...We fell in love with Honduras after being on a cruise and have a 5-6 year plan to move to Roatan or Utila..  I would like some REAL information about everything...We definitely want to be either on the beach or within a VERY short walk to it.  We are looking to spend around $150,000.00 for a home, or purchase land and build, but still at this price point.  Is this realistic? I heard there were a few Mennonite communities that will come and build homes for you.  True?? We will also be bringing my sister with us, so our combined income will be around $3500.00 monthly.  I would like to also work, if possible in the photography area.  Are jobs easy to come by?? We are not looking to spend a lot of money living, want a much more simplified life, but don't want to get house poor or eat rice and beans every day either.  I know taxes are very cheap. Is internet easy to get, dependable and cheap.  What about satellite service?  I have a TON of questions, but will start with these if anyone is willing to spend some time answering!!!   Thanks a bunch, appreciate any input.

Sandi

Hi, I am building a custom home on beach at La Ceiba Beach Club for about 150,000 usd, maybe less thru Chris Barrett. Very well constructed. My house is running me more due to some custom upgrades I am doing. I just posted a piece on my paperwork experiences because I felt like you that I was getting no clear andwers. My experiences are US so maybe slightly different on time, but paperwork is the same. Am still in states so cannot answer right now on other questions but will share with you as I do. I am shipping my household so have a big expense there in packing and shipping. About 10000 usd for one container that is full. That includes packing for water voyage, and insurance. I will send you a video site of my house under construction if you wish.

That sounds great...Thanks!

You could also look into buying one of the villas at Palma Real Resort and Villas, where we are...there are some resale properties available, at very reasonable prices, or some new constructs, or...you can pick a lot and have them build you your choice of villas...you can get one, easier, for the price (or, under) you are quoting of $150K US....everything in the resort is relatively close to the beach but not beach front, unless you want to buy one of the new lots they are just releasing...but...they are out of your price range. The resort is 20kms from La Ceiba...very secure, gated and guarded community with plenty of US and Canadian Expats....also...$3,500/mth is plenty to live on...

Having a home directly on the beach with the water in front of you along with the breeze and sounds is amazing. Even a beach view property (165' from the beach) is awesome. Thinking better than being 1000 feet + away from
The beach.

There are a couple bungalows that are extremely affordable that are fully furnished/move in ready just outside of La Ceiba for less than $60,000.00 USD.

Buy one.... Relax in winter.... Rent out when you are not there.

Simple warm weather investment.

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : No free ads please

Construction prices in The Islands will cost you around 120 dollars per sq ft, on the mainland is just a fraction of that with the same quality. Cost of living will be a fraction of the Islands as well.  ***

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : No free ads here please

Let´s get real means good security. You will be safer on the islands, yet beach front land is expensive. Corozal, Atlántida is a safer area. Your $3500 a month will allow you to live nicely. To legally own land you will need Honduran residency and you will need to prove that you will have a guaranteed income. There are two forms of owning property, one will allow your children to possess your land if you pass away and two your land will go back to the State.  (dominio util) (pleno)??? MAKE SURE YOU PURCHASE LAND LEGALLY, SO GET AN HONEST ATTORNEY OR YOU MAY FIND YOU HAVE BEEN SCAMMED!!  http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Lati … ying-Guide

^^^ research current laws and restrictions before posting please

Chris,

Why do you not contact the Congreso Nacional and an attorney who could provide us up to the minute changes in the laws of purchasing land in Honduras? We dumb normal people are not up to the task!!

http://www.lagaceta.hn/http://www.tsc.gob.hn/leyes/Acuerdo-No- … 1JUL14.pdfhttp://www.tzibalnaah.unah.edu.hn/handl … ?show=full

You really need to go to Utila and check everything out! Show all of your documentation to a dependable lawyer, so you do not get scammed. I have not been to Utila for quite a while, so I cannot inform you on prices. Do you have Honduran residency? You will need residency to own property.

DO NOT ALLOW THE WORLD KNOW THAT YOU HAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY TO INVEST!!!!

Hello,

I am at retirement age and I have to ask myself why anybody would want to try to build a new home in a foreign country they're not familiar with nor are legal citizens of?

Even assuming you are fluent in the local language, there is still the almost-insurmountable stress of paperwork and laws you're totally unfamiliar with ( you're not in Kansas anymore!).

Why not snatch up a home that's already built--perhaps by an expatriate who made that choice and was forced to abandon it?

To me, these are my "relaxing years". I wouldn't give up even one for the  inevitable hassle just to say it's "my home I designed and built".

But then, that's me...

That's a great question.  For me the decision was based on a couple of things.  First and foremost is price.  I was able to buy a waterfront lot on the island of Amapala for a very low price.  The property taxes are extremely low.  The cost of living is very affordable.  The island that I'll be moving to does not have any franchises.  Mostly small mom and pop type businesses.  There is very little crime and the people are very friendly.  That said I recommend you not be too friendly.  You are setting yourself up by being too friendly.  People will begin asking for money etc. As a Hispanic I made the mistake of assuming that the people of Honduras were like the people from my island in the Caribbean.  Not true.  Although we speak the same language we have different culture/customs.  I've learned to be more observant and watch as the different socio economic classes interact.  It's almost like you need to know your standing and socialize with folks in that circle.  While I don't feel that I'm better than anyone I have learned that the many poor folks in Honduras see you as a golden goose and given the opportunity, they will try to get you to give them money or help them start a business etc.  That said, Honduras is a beautiful country with lots to offer.  I look forward to the day I can live there full time

If you want to leave Honduras with a small fortune, bring down a large fortune! ¡Bien dicho!

Good advice!!

Sandy,

Just be extremely cautious! Do not let anyone know that you have that sort of money! Make sure that your title to land is valid!! (Favorite Honduran scam is selling property that is not legally theirs)! You need to think of security! You also need to know about construction and watch the work being done every day! $3500 a month will allow you all to live comfortably.

Do you speak Spanish? Because if you do not you will be at a real disadvantage! Many lawyers are not honest here. In addition you will need Honduran residency to purchase land.