Hi, looking for kindly advice :)

Hi everybody, i'm Elisa and I've just joined Expat.com :)

I'm planning to move to tokyo and i'd be more than glad to hear from your experiences and maybe advices.

I am a graphic designer and junior social media manager, since not everybody knows exactly what that mean I'm gnat explain (if you know what i do then just skip this part! ;) ). I develop logos, images, adv for brands, I also create the aesthetic part of website and app, that means i prepare the interface and how you see that, I'm not writing down the code. And I also manage social accounts (fb, instagram, tw) for different brands. (here's my website elisaturrini.com

Now, my bf has been moved to tokyo by his company and my plan is: I will look for a job before moving, first of all cause i'm not willing to leave my current job in Milan and also because, from what I know, I couldn't look for a job with a tourist visa (correct?)

But before applying I'd like to know
what are the main skills or qualities i should offer in a market place like that
how much is it important to speak basic japanese (i'm studying it, but far from speaking it fluently)
should i look for a job on company website or is there any other option
should i mention the real reason i'm moving or would that be bad
would it be ok to focus on my italian origin (since italy is quite appreciated abroad and also because of our design heritage) or would it be seen as vain?
and last but not least, do you think I have real possibilities to get a job?

Anyway thank you : )
have a good day/night

Elisa

Hi Elisa,

I am bf of visual/character designer and I am in signing phase for a job in Tokyo, Japan - so we're (I mean couples) solving pretty much same situation.

As far as I know you can't work with tourist visa but it is fine for business travel too (it's technically not tourist but short-term). As long as it is not remunerative activity you're fine (going to a job interview is definitely ok). You can take e.g. one month vacation, go with your boyfriend, help him to settle (it's important to pick place together, etc.) and at least observe job market, perhaps try a few interviews.

To be eligible for work visa you need to have a university degree or (and) enough experience.

Our observation regarding job for her is that is better to look for a job in bigger international company (e.g. Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, ...) or in startup which is already established in Japan and trying to emerge overseas - reasons are quite obvious - being from overseas and knowing foreign visual marketing expectations and customer mentality + English. Visual marketing/design/media roles often  require knowledge of Japanese which is understandable as you're communicating some sort of message to Japanese market. Still we found quite number of positions (esp. in gaming and fashion industry) where Japanese is plus but not requirement. I can recommend LinkedIn, CareerCross, Justa and Michael Page job search sites.

If there's Japanese Embassy in Italy, it might be worth to check list of both Japanese companies in Italy and Italian ones in Japan, maybe some of them could use your skill. Don't limit yourself just to open postings, e-mail them.

As for your questions:
what are the main skills or qualities i should offer in a market place like that
- I'd say you should look how they do things and mix in little bit of Italian spice to stand out, that might work

how much is it important to speak basic japanese (i'm studying it, but far from speaking it fluently)
- It seems to me that Japanese is very important, usually they want JLPT N3/N2 for in-house communication. Try looking for international companies where natives have to communicate with overseas branches so they have to speak English.

should i mention the real reason i'm moving or would that be bad
- What about selling it in way that you already have place to stay, partner's support so you don't really require any temporary housing, relocation services (ok maybe flight ticket) and you know your way around :)

would it be ok to focus on my italian origin
- Depends on where you're applying to. You might try Italian brands/companies where it will be plus :)

and last but not least, do you think I have real possibilities to get a job?
- I think you have and wish you good luck finding one that not only serve as entry ticket to life in Japan but is also fun and enjoyable for you!

Your bf influence can not be effective unless his company invited you to Japan and before you could secure a job in Japan you must upgrade your visa to working visa and proper information will be issued to you by the immigration and they are generous to update you with whatever that is required and the process involve with an excellent service .
With your educational background you can secure a job via the job websites , there are numerous job opportunities in Japan and your inclination is vast , without doubt you can secure a job , kindly look over the internet for information and your boy friend can as well relate this to his friends for more information .