Urgent need for reviews, please!!!

Hello all!

Does anyone know anything about Victoria Education and Training JSC ?

I will be moving to Vietnam to teach and am considering working with them. They seem absolutely lovely, very helpful and all of that but I cannot seem to find any information about them! I've found the website but it does not have a translation function (or perhaps I just missed it!).

Has anybody had any experiences with this company or know of anyone who has? Or can anyone direct me to a good reviews forum? I have tried Glassdoor to no avail.

Any advice that you can think of for a newbie to the 'Foreign Teacher' game would be amazing!

Thank you!

Try doing a search on Daves ESL forum for teachers.

Thank you for that.

I've tried Dave's ESL Cafe and could not see anything about them on there.

Would you happen to have a recommendations of employers/schools?

Is victoria.vn their website?

Perhaps you can ask them to let you be in touch with a current foreign teacher there to ask about his/her experience.

They sure do advertise a lot.  That's usually a red flag, but the public school work isn't for everyone, so if they have a high turnover that could be why.

I don't think they're actually a school, but just another gaggle of recruiters posing as a school, like EIV, MIC, IES, etc.  At least they broke away from the 3 letter bunch, I suppose...

Teacher Mark wrote:

They sure do advertise a lot.  That's usually a red flag, but the public school work isn't for everyone, so if they have a high turnover that could be why.

I don't think they're actually a school, but just another gaggle of recruiters posing as a school, like EIV, MIC, IES, etc.  At least they broke away from the 3 letter bunch, I suppose...

Agree with Mark, just another bunch of job finders. Be wary of the hourly rates, IES were paying about 30% lower then other companies for the exact same job.

colinoscapee wrote:
Teacher Mark wrote:

Agree with Mark, just another bunch of job finders. Be wary of the hourly rates, IES were paying about 30% lower then other companies for the exact same job.

I hadn't even considered that aspect. Thank you both! I've seen a few posts with hourly rates but most will offer a monthly rate. And yes, I have notices that places in MIC seem to be advertising all over the place and very often, so I was a bit wary to contact them. It seems like some of the more reputable places (for example, LanguageLink) want teachers with much more experience - that is, they weren't satisfied with my only having experience as a volunteer. It's a little disheartening!

Would either of you have any advice on particular schools or language centres to contact?

MeoMun wrote:

Is victoria.vn their website?

Perhaps you can ask them to let you be in touch with a current foreign teacher there to ask about his/her experience.

Thank you for that great idea, MeoMun! I was actually contacted by a current foreign teacher through a facebook post I created after this one so hopefully she has some advice.

Haha, I work for IES. They are a bit of a joke, but they can be useful sometimes. They can, due to desperation, land you with a decent job to start with. As long as you work on having  a viable exit-plan you should not dismiss these headhunters as useless.

P.s. Get this, IES actually do have a language school now. Kinda..

Hi there,

Here's the English website, no substance and more than enough warning signs that this is not a legitimate school
http://www.i-to-i.com/tefl-jobs-abroad/ … mpany/811/

Job posting includes:
"no teaching experience required" ...really!!

Hourly rate posted but no mention of # hours (a "few" hours as students sign up, classes cancelled if not enough enrollment both quite typical).

JSC stands for "Joint Stock Company"; that should be a big clue that this is a business organization
(make a quick buck for "off-shore" companies, like Korea, which is very common here).

On-line "promises" for small organizations in Vietnam typically do not match reality; friendly "yes" conversations are not assurances that what you agree to or think you understand is what will actually happen when you arrive.

Check out a legitimate school like St. Paul International School for comparison
https://www.facebook.com/StPaulhanoiInt … nalSchool/

Both newbies and very experienced teachers find the Vietnamese teaching experience very very different, so be prepared for anything and everything to be different from what you think teaching is or should be.

If you thrive on adventure & uncertainty ~ and have enough cash to survive for 3 -plus months (rentals in Hanoi typically want a damage deposit and 3 months rent), without being repaid any out of pocket expenses, and have a return ticket stashed somewhere, then go for it. Remember Vietnam is a communist country so no messing with immigration about the correct Visa. And no complaining if it all goes to custard; there are enough clues to be wary of this organization.

Good Luck

Thank you both for that fantastic advice!

I decided to forgo working with Victoria shortly after my original post (too many warning signs indeed!). I am still talking to some people about potential work but so far nothing concrete - I guess they don't want to offer a job so far from the arrival date to save themselves as well!

If you have any other advice, I'd love to hear it! :)

No, you seem to have it covered.

And you understand that what may not look the
ideal, might help networking to others.

A healthy doubt is your best protector     :top:

Any other details on Victoria.vn?  Is it a go or no?