Hows racism in Northern Ireland

Hi everyone, my name is Michael from Johannesburg South Africa and I'm new here.

I have received a  job offer as a volunteer and I am moving to Northern Ireland at the end of the month (January) .
Coming from a country were black ppl still experience racism on a daily basis
away so this is my way of giving back to the Irish people by volunteering.
Your advise will be highly appreciated.

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the Forum; if you select the Handy Tools link at the top of the page, you'll get a link to the Expat guide, this describes the process you'll have to go through to get into the UK.  I'd double-check this job offer, as "volunteer" is not on the UK list of "shortage professions", so unless you have a UK passport, you may struggle to enter the country.

To answer your specific question, you will find racism everywhere in the world; having said that, the UK is generally multi-cultural and the risk of specific racism is small; my own opinion of the UK is that you're more likely to come across xenophobia than blatant racism.

Hi Cynic thanx for the response, I'm actually coming there under the Tier 5 charity worker visa. Meaning that the potential employer has to issue a certificate of sponsorship and that's how I applied. I know that UK is multi cultural but I thought it's different from NI

Novulari81 wrote:

Hi Cynic thanx for the response, I'm actually coming there under the Tier 5 charity worker visa. Meaning that the potential employer has to issue a certificate of sponsorship and that's how I applied. I know that UK is multi cultural but I thought it's different from NI

Northern Ireland on the whole is OK, I'm over there quite a lot and having been there in the 70's, it's much better than it used to be; that said, it has it's own unique sectarian problems, mainly based on religion.  Assuming you are a person of colour, in the unlikely event you do experience any "issues", they are more likely to be xenophobic, rather than racist, those people don't like any foreigner.

Don't worry to much....its probably no worse than anywhere else...don't be to offended and  have a tough skin...The people here are Great just a few *** ...Love NI ...and go with the Flow... Enjoy ...the CRAIC Good Luck :)

Hi mate thanks n much appreciated for the response. And how's the weather up there does it snow?