Homesick...

Hello. I'm originally from Northern Ireland. Moved to Canada 16 years ago and as of late getting the gut feeling of moving back.
   I'm married to a Canadian citizen who is Hispanic we have a 4 year old daughter.
    Being from a mixed marriage housing I'm guessing would be a little more difficult. Or has the situation changed much in the past 16 years?
     Is there a cut and dry way of going back home? From the information online it seems to involve having a job to go, and a certain amount of finances to begin with. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

LOL - seems to be a thing with you Irish folk, the Emerald Isle calling you back home. :unsure

Assuming you are the birth father of your daughter, then you are both entitled to a UK passport (probably an Irish one as well).  Assuming your wife only has Canadian citizenship then should you wish to return to the UK, then she will need some kind of visa.  Yes, there is a lot of information online, I would recommend you use the UK Government website; this link will take you straight to the start page where you can find out what kind of visa she needs and how to apply.

Perhaps an Irish passport for all of you would be easier, then you would all have the right to live anywhere in the UK and Ireland (in fact anywhere in the EU).  It's certainly worth investigating.

With regards to your mixed marriage comment; racial/religious issues are still there; my opinion is that as long as you are careful where you live, you can avoid the excesses unless you chose to become involved in the flag-waving and drum beating.  I served there in the '70s and when I went back as a civilian much later, I was surprised to still see the painted kerbstones and flags in front gardens, so it's still there.

Having a job to go to is almost a necessity for you to sponsor your wife for any kind of UK visa.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team