Contractor in Hopkins Belize

Hi.  Can anyone give some recommendations for some good builders in Hopkins area? Preferably not overpriced.

Thanks,
Jeanne

you would be best off talking to other expats in the area.

What are you trying to do? Do you have a plan/drawing? I own PCPM and will be building in Corozal we purchased lots up that way just recently. We are not developers, we will be offering consulting, building and maintenance services in Belize. I also have a network there if you were to choose to go local. I am also building my own house there and will be returning Feb 15th. If can help you may reach me here:

Happy New Year!

Best
Kevin Hogue

Moderated by Christine 7 years ago
Reason : please do not promote your business on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Good Morning ,

I have used a builder in Hopkins name Dwayne he is Canadian and has built houses in the area his number is xxx

my name is Lea Snyder

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thanks!
Are homes readily financed in Belize?
Rene

Renerabril wrote:

Thanks!
Are homes readily financed in Belize?
Rene

The short answer is no.

In 2015 I looked at financing through Atlantic Bank but the rates were very high, the down payment was high, and the length of time with a balloon  was short. I just looked at their website for current info...clicking their link for home loans gave a 404 message, page not found.  https://www.atlabank.com/home-loans.php

Dont know if this is temporary, or if they dont do home loans anymore.

Last year I found out the hard way due to rules changes as an American they would not open even a simple bank account as I was not a resident, even though I bought a house in Belize.

I can open a savings account with Atlantic Bank International but it has no debit cards, no checking, no online banking, no loans.

Some of the major land developers say they will finance, but few seem to be making much progress in actually building  out to look like the glossy brochures and website drawings.

My observations are most deals are cash, and some are owner financing.

Will, just a quick question, when you say cash, do you actually mean the cold hard notes, or can cash mean an electronic transfer of funds?

Thanks,
Gary

garyclarke1962 wrote:

Will, just a quick question, when you say cash, do you actually mean the cold hard notes, or can cash mean an electronic transfer of funds?

Thanks,
Gary

My point was not in the mechanism for transferring funds between buyer and seller, but that rather few deals are  financed through a lending institution. Cash is just the slang term.

Thats a relief, i wasnt too keen on strolling down the beach with a few thousand used readies in a carrier bag.

Thanks Will,
I was in Belize in 2004 and my American wife only speaks English. So, Belize is ideal. How about lots. Can we buy a lot and build ourselves. I was a building contractor for many years, running subs, the whole gamut.
You have probably heard. USA is a societal mess. Much stress not worth it.
When we were there in 04, I only used cash. Are American debit and credit cards accepted.
Any information you can give is appreciated. 
Rene  Abril

Sure you can buy a lot and build yourself. However finding qualified subs is not like in the US. The good ones are busy. There are lots of folks that are eager to work, but lack the tools/equipment and experience to do it correctly the first time. Do not expect to find a wide selection of materials vendors and supplies. Expect to end up doing things the Belizean way even when you know of faster/better ways of doing things. :D
Best advice I can give in this area, listen, to the locals then decide if you want to try doing it the way your used to. :blink:

Using American cash, credit or debit cards is not a problem at many businesses, change will be mostly in Belize dollars. In smaller restaurants and business you need to ask. Banks have ATMs that will dispense Belize dollars, of course there is a fee.  Be sure to use cards that do not have a foreign transaction fee to avoid  an extra charge from your card provider/bank.

There are a lot of questions that come up over and over in this forum,Take the time to read back over older threads, for the most part there is a lot of really great information in this forum, one just has to recognize the difference between good advice and some of the krap.  :whistle:

You might learn more about the societal mess in Belize before you decide that Belize is the solution to anything

Please don't feed the Trolls:

https://blog.hootsuite.com/how-to-deal- … ial-media/