How is Oman?

Hi All,

The name is Chris and Im thinking of making the move to Oman for work for a year and would like to know how it is over there?

Im from the US and kinda in the dark about life in Oman

Any help or info would be appreciated

is there a nightlife?

how is the food?

Medical care?

any stores?

Welcome on Expat.com Chris,

I hope other forumers will bring their input to your discussion soon ;)

Best of luck
Regards

Hello Chris,

If you surf this blog under Oman Guide, you will find lots of valuable information about the Sultanate. Oman is an islamic country, so if you plan on being a guest in this wonderful country, one has to adapt 50% to their way of life. Oman is sunny throughout the year, May to August being the worst of the summer with temperatures soaring to over 50, and December to Feb is mild winter where the weather is wonderful for outdoor BBQ's. If you like diving, we find some great places along the coast line. Oman is a very developed country, shopping malls, night clubs and pubs, star class hotels etc. Housing is not that cheap, so be prepared to fork out a bit depending what you prefer (Villa or an Apartment).

Dress code - We are required to dress modestly when out in public. Men can wear shorts but preferably knee length. The rules mostly apply to the women, as to dress in such a way that they don't offend others in public or cause any embarassment, by bearing cleavage or thighs. This is not accepted in Oman when in public places. However, I have noticed that if an American or European lady (a white) wears shorty-shorts or shows a bit of cleavage in public at a mall etc. it goes less unnoticed, almost acceptable by most, unlike an ASIAN (Indian, Srilankan, Bangladeshi etc.) who will be gawked, smirked & stared at unmercifully by all and sundry. I still cannot fathom why this is so!! Culture is indeed a strange thang!!

We can show thighs and cleavage as much as we like if we go clubbing and to Pubs, as these places are mostly patronized by expats, since Omani men are not supposed to patronize places that serve liquor. Liquor cannot be freely brought from any supermarket, one needs to apply for a Liquor Permit from the Oman Police, and only a certain % of your basic salary is allowed as your monthly allowance for purchase. A few good Liquor stores are available to buy your quota.

Lastly, Oman is a BEAUTIFUL country, bright sun right along, wonderful places to visit on the weekends if you like traveling and dessert camping, vast mountains and boulders, great seafood & beaches, very developed roads and towns and most of all, the very friendly & generous Omani people of this country who welcome all expats as their guests and we are treated as equals.

WELCOME TO OMAN CHRIS!! Hope you enjoy your one year stay, but I have a feeling you will extend your stay for a further couple of years once you fall in love with OMAN!

Cheers!

Tania

Just saw your 2nd post. Let me brief you:

NIGHTLIFE:
There is definitely a night life... We have some exclusive restaurants, Pubs & Night clubs with Live bands at star class hotels ie: Intercontinental Hotels, Crowne Plaza, Shangri' La, Meridien, Park Inn, Holiday Inn, Hyatt, Bustan (going to be RITZ Carlton soon we hear), and many new projects coming up. There are some wonderful Parks too... for walking, cycling or to simply laze around with a book.

FOOD: Everything is available here in the supermarkets. Even Pork! All imported items are freely available and is reasonably priced. Fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, seafood, tinned food, processed foods, everything that you will find in TESCO can be found here. We do have Carrefour & Spinney's too. During Christmas, you can buy all that you need - X'mas trees, decor, food items, ham, turkey, x'mas pudding & cakes etc. etc. etc. So do not fret over the food!

STORES: Plenty! Including branded stores (GIORDANO, MANGO, H&M, FOREVER 21, GAP, N-IKE, ADIDAS, BEACH, WOOLWORTH, ZARA, I can go on and on, but will let you find out on your own! If Oman shopping is not sufficient, then Dubai is only a 5 hours from Oman, and you can shop till you drop if you drive over on a weekend as you may find a wider variety of stores and malls there.

TV: Satellite TV is available, you can subscribe to any channel you want. English Radio channels are operating in Oman. Oman also brings down LIVE music Bands for outdoor concerts - we had Nickleback playing pretty recently in Dubai. So you see... it's all good...Hope you got my drift!

Good luck with your re-location!

Welcome to Oman dear CHRIS !if you want any help
just send to me if i can do help for you

and thank you to dear Tanii
she is mention for you many things about Oman
i want add Oman is a peace country
regards

wow thank you all for the information I will  probably be in Muscat come late Feb or Mar

You welcome any time in your second country, tanii gave you so many things about oman so if you want any more if just call us we are here with you dear...

best regards
ammar