Close

want to resign,need suggestions..

Hi,

I am working as a Design  engineer in  Muscat since 2.8 years. I have got a better job in Qatar. Due to that resin , I resigned my job . I have given my resignation on  Nov - 2014 in hand as hard copy to my Department Manager. But i was not relieved from the Organization even after serving the notice period of 30 days. Required steps are not taken till date and my relieving process is pending for the last 4 months.

I had sent email to my Department Manager regarding this . Now my Department head came to know about my new offer in Qatar.

Now he putting me under pressure and not giving exact date for releasing or final exit. Therefore Whenever I am asking about my final date of detachment/departure they are not giving clear picture and just rolling around playing dirty, threatening .

Today my Department head told to me that we can't relive you now & we going to take legal action  (court case ). What I don't understand is that what case can he file against me? Also, if I want to leave and join a new company, how can I make this company cancel my visa?

How can I legally approach.

please advice.

My friend,
Go to the Labor Bureau and show them the first resign letter and attached it to your claim.

Good luck.

I agree to what MAZ has stated.

You're advised to prepare a file, consisting all your resignation related emails / follow ups and the official resignation letter.   Once done, consult legally and file a case against your organization.
Oman law doesn't allow resignation period more than 30 days unless mutually agreed between employer and employee.

I would suggest you to file the case before they do a dirty action against you.

Hi Ramamurthy,

Resigning from your job is not a crime. And your employer cannot file any case against you for that - if all is well. Meaning, there are no gaps from your side, like not meeting the deliverables, falling short on what was promised, etc. Even if there are any then they must be on record and official. Verbal agreements are invalid of course.

Sometimes employers threaten their employees with dire consequences just to intimidate them into accepting their decisions. More often than not they also get away with it. This is largely because of the ignorance on the part of the employees on what their rights and privileges are while living in a foreign country.

If you feel that you have not done anything wrong, confront your employer directly and categorically state that you will approach the Indian Embassy and will officially file a case of cheating and intimidation against them. This would knock some sense into your employer's head. They would not want to get their name messed up with the any Embassy / official establishments.

You should actually approach the embassy and seek their guidance on how to deal with your employer. The embassy officials have been trained to handle cases like yours and play arbitrators for its citizens.

With the Indian embassy's assistance you can also file a formal complaint against your employer with the Ministry of Manpower - and then the case becomes even more complicated and much more serious - for your employer.

But to do all this you must produce all relevant documents and papers for verification. It will take time and some running around. But at the end of it it would all be worth it for you, as your employer would be the one to get pulled up for their transgressions.

Good luck.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your advice and guidance,

Now a time i am fully confused and so depressed , Now my mind is not working ......I don't  know ....what to do...where to go...

Should i approach Indian embassy or directly  to the ministry of manpower.... and  please let me know the procedure...

go to the labor court u will get what u want don't worry. embassy is secondary option n I advise u to go to labor court. u will see the results on ur behalf.

dont worry god is great keep all papers ready and   give me miss call

[Moderated: no phone number allow on the thread please]

I will send nice good lawyer u can take his help ...

I am almost finishing my 2 year work contract this December in Sohar and I am looking forward for new job elsewhere here in Oman. What is the law regarding expats finishing contract and wanting to get job anew same here Oman? I really would like to return here and get a new job but I do not know if I could still come back even after my term, or am I banned for 2 years for me to be able to return to Oman?.... Pls advise. Thank you.

Hi nelcer67,

The forum contains enough and more information on your very same query.

So please help yourself to the information available there.

Hey sir, my name is vinod. I am worked transporting company my position is accountant. 1 mar 2017  am joinede then       
1 oct 2017 I am resigned that time effective date same I put it. Now 42 days finish he don't replay. I am still waiting No salary,food and accomodation how can I will stay. Many time I am contacted email and phone he told to me investigation under prossessing what can doo.my resignation letter already approved. please help me.

Hi Vinodjose,

Please read all the posts above yours.

The answers you are seeking are there.

Hi,

I am working in Oman from the past 2 years. Omani labor laws require notice period to be of 30 days or as agreed in contract. But in my employment contract it's mention that the notice period will be of 3 months. Now I ask my company to change the term on renewal of contract but they are not agreeing.

The problem is I have better opportunities available outside Oman but due to notice period of 3 months, I find myself helpless. As prospective employer can not wait for 3 months.

Any suggestions? What can I do to decrease this notice period to 1 month?

Sahib44 :

Hi,

I am working in Oman from the past 2 years. Omani labor laws require notice period to be of 30 days or as agreed in contract. But in my employment contract it's mention that the notice period will be of 3 months. Now I ask my company to change the term on renewal of contract but they are not agreeing.

The problem is I have better opportunities available outside Oman but due to notice period of 3 months, I find myself helpless. As prospective employer can not wait for 3 months.

Any suggestions? What can I do to decrease this notice period to 1 month?

The notice period is defined by law as 30 days, however if the employment contract states it to be 3 months, the employee has to abide by the same as it has been signed. There is nothing you can do about it. Legally, the contract is an agreement between employee and the employer and supersede anything else.
All you can do is to negotiate with the other employer and act accordingly.

Expatriate health insurance in Oman

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Oman

Moving to Oman

Find tips from professionals about moving to Oman

Travel insurance in Oman

Enjoy stress-free travel to Oman