The holiday season in Malaysia

Hello everyone,

Are you about to celebrate the holiday season in Malaysia? In many countries and cultures, the festive season is the time for happiness and reunions/gatherings. Is it so in Malaysia? How do Malaysians celebrate this very special time of the year?

What about you? Will you spend the holiday season in your host country or in your home country? Will there be expat reunions/celebrations/parties in your region/town/area?

Thank you in advance for sharing!

Priscilla

For me anyway, Christmas and New Years is a bleak and depressing time. Somewhere between 5 and 10 years ago I did have western friends and we celebrated very well but thats gone. These days in December i just hibernate and work, no decorations or food or anything. Though Id like to see my family back at home during holidays I dont really have that ability so i just sweat it out and try to forget. In the old days expats would gather for Christmas and Thanksgiving too but many have cleared out of the country and thus the loneliness.

A favorite thing to do is go to a Thai island for the holidays, many have done that. Others are focused around church activities which promote good cheer during the whole month. Its a great time if you are around the right group and circumstances.

I find Christmas in Malaysia quite depressing too. There is lots of glitz and glam due to the over commercialized malls, etc. but nothing beats spending Christmas with the family. This year my college going kids will be with us and our in-laws (though they do not celebrate Christmas). We will go to church in the morning and then I will make the turkey/ham, trimmings for a late lunch with all. Then we head off on a beach holiday (for someone who likes snow at Christmas, not quite the same thing!).

Why don't someone organize a Xmas cum New Years Party for those lonely hearts out there? I'll be more than happy to  host it in my apartment if there's a good response from the expat community. E-mail me at xxx if you have any suggestions.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Well for me I wouldnt say its lonely hearts, its something else I dont know how to explain. Malaysia put this off-kilter because christianity is something more quiet at the outset. And, for example, where I live in Penang there was only about one week of public decorations in November and it was all quickly replaced with CNY decorations and advertising. Its not even Christmas yet! Plus no family, plus criticism of decorations by Muslims, plus plus plus. Where is the spirit of the holidays? It just all adds up and all you really want to do is see the holidays pass quickly and hope for better times elsewhere.

BUT THAT SAID, its also all in the mind, too. I know people determined to have the right spirit no matter what, no matter who. Its up to the person in the end, there is nobody or nothing to blame. I know that, too.

An activity I used to like in my country was door to door caroling. Those times in USA its also snowing and freezing, the perfect environment for singing christmas songs. Listeners are so grateful.  Today, people dont sing on the neighborhood streets, they do flash mobs in malls and restaurants and while thats great, its not the same, not so heartfelt and personal. I know one Malaysian who hosts caroling in her condo but that doesnt sound fun at all, you have to get out and sing for neighbors and strangers, something she is far too fearful to do. Why i dont know.

I miss all the foods of christmas, too. Terribly! My god there isnt even a decorated gingerbread cookie around? And dont ask me to bake them myself, mine will taste like fish curry and chili and sambal! And burned of course, my cookies arent complete unless they are burned black and not even the cat will take them!

Thats a nice offer to host a party, i wish I was closer and id join and help with everything, money, cooking, etc. As usual there arent many posters in the forum, I have no idea who is around or what plans they have.

You are right CVCO, it depends what one makes of it. I put up the deco and the tree. This year I'll do a turkey and ham with all trimmings, incuging the sherry trifle! My guests are mostly non Christian so it won't really be a real Christmas sharing of the Christmas spirit but hopefully it'll come close

Thats a nice plan goldencik, sounds great. I think the main thing is to keep traditions going. A semblance or reasonable facsimile is just fine. Not giving up is the main thing, it brings the best feelings and isnt that the whole point?