Are you happy in Italy?

Hello everyone!

According to the 2016 UN World Happiness Survey, Denmark, Switzerland and Iceland are the happiest countries on earth.

How about you? Are you happy in Italy? Do you feel happier today in your host country than before in your home country? What has contributed to the change?

In your opinion, are locals in Italy happy? How can you tell?

Please share your experience!

In answer to your question .."Are you happy in Italy"?   No...not at all..Italy is a delusion.

That's a pretty strong statement - Can you provide some detail?

Gladly,  ..and when I have time I'll do so.

Italians are not happy. They are frustrated with the economy, the government, the health system, the quality of care given in both commercial and social system to users, the cost of living, the education system... just to name a few.
As a non-Italian, Italian resident for more than 5 years, I've come to understand that complaints are usually finished off with a 'buh! what are we going to do?!' statement, which translates to apathy and a feeling of helplessness to change.
My 'we can make a change' attitude from North America has left me disillusioned. Trying to bring about change is extremely difficult. Sending on complaints or feedback to improve systems or procedures (at the hospital, where you are likely not to find soap in a washroom or with the public transit system, where infrequent service busses can easily zoom past you, leaving you to wait for another hour, simply because the driver didn't slow down and see you), has been met with apathy or silence. When I ask, 'who can I forward my complaint onto?' I have been told 'nobody'. I believe that that nobody exists but is too busy having an espresso.
I live in the north, where the economy is doing well compared with the south. Wages are generally still too low to get ahead but luckily the people here benefit from their inheritances (the boom in the 60s and 70s) and combined with low paying jobs (by EU standards) can afford living expenses and the occasional holiday. I know that in the south of Italy things are not like here and are much worse. 
So, dolce vita....not even close. But I realise that a holiday-maker might see only the beauty in the country and for them I'm glad.
All that said, happy is relative. I am happy to have the choice to visit the mountains or the sea within a few hours. I am happy to live simply, enjoying good locally produced food and wine which hasn't been treated and modified in a million ways. I am happy to work to live and not live to work to pay a giant mortgage and car payments and a massive cellphone bill. The trade off is worth it but I prefer to see it as being satisfied with my choice to live here and not 'there', not 'happy'.

No..😕 because i live in REGGIO DI CALABRIA.. and no one cam speak here english just few persons and this city so dirty.. i don't like it... i m nit hppy here it's too much dirty... but the north side is beautiful and clean... but here too much dirt.. and the government of italy should have to checkout all the cities of italy about cleanness.... and also for work..

TO:   Hard-headed woman.   

You're absolutely right!!  I couldn't have said it any better!!    From where are you  originally?  USA?  I'm a Bostonian.

The apathy about everything is appalling.   All of my Italian friends in America encouraged me to come here...they were dreaming apparently  of what Italy "used" to be when they were kids...i.e. La Dolce Vita.  I found nothing of the's been a grand delusion. 

As for the difference between North and South, I must say that,  having lived in diverse places in this country,  I prefer unquestionably the South.  In any country  or town or city,  the people are the most important resources...not the monuments and the history etc.    In the South, people are friendly, welcoming, sociable.  In the North  (at least in my experience)  people are cold, unfriendly,  distant, closed within themselves and can't even say Buongiorno!  I'll move back to the South as soon as possible.  The difference between the North and the South least in my opinion, is night and day.   You're right about the economic differences, but it ends there.    Inside of a week or 2 in the South, I had made some good friends.  In the North,  nobody even says hello.  I've travelled all over the world and the Polentoni are the coldest people I've ever encountered in any country.

We seem to share similar viewpoints and I'd enjoy chatting with you.  Let me know how to contact you.

By the way, ....I was reading your comment about the standard transmission cars.,  You are absolutely right!    These  people think that they are so Westernized and up-to-date...yet they are  infatuated with these standard trasmissions..which in developed countries went out-of-style 60 years ago

Questions and answers about Italy

Ask your question
Andini Primaniasari
greetings from me; an indonesian in milan
By Andini Primaniasari
Rebecca Hooper
New in Palermo - looking to meet other expats living here
By Rebecca Hooper
English speaking hair salons
By UvStha
Waqar Ghumman
By Waqar Ghumman