Where to live in Nairobi given frequent travel

Hi all,

I expect to be working near the African Reinsurance Corp Building in the Upper Hill Rd section of Nairobi and have a couple of questions.

First, I hope to have a budget of somewhere around 150,000 Ksh for housing.  While I'll be based in Nairobi, I'll also be traveling frequently to other parts of East Africa, South Africa, Nigeria, and the Middle East.  Therefore, I'd like to be close to the Upper Hill Rd location but also not too far from the international airport.  My preference would be for a townhome that has at least one servants quarter.  Also, my wife and large dog will be coming along for the two year assignment so it would be good if the townhome location is good for my wife to meet Kenyans and expat, exercise at a gym, and also safely take the dog for walks.

I've heard positive things about Westlands and Karen as places that might meet the above requirements.  Can anyone else provide a perspective?

Thanks very much for any help.

Mdboy

Welcome on board Mdboy ;)

Hi,

Lavington and Kileleshwa would be your best bet for a town house considering your work location.

Regards,
TJ

Mdboy

Im in the same boat as you. Im moving to nairobi in march for a 2yr assignment in the upper hill area and also looking for a town house in the same range. I will be interested to know  how you get along with this search.
The cynic in me tells me that we might be going to work for the same organisation as the building is close to the one you have mentioned.
all the best

Lavington or Kileleshwa would be more ideal for you.

Westland could be a better place for you than Karen which is far

Actually, there are lots of maisonettes along Lenana Rd, Dennis Pritt Rd, Kilimani area and Ngong Rd which are all closer to Upperhill than westlands and Karen.  As for westlands you have to be ready for the daily jam that can hold you up for as much as an hour either way to and from work.  There actually is a furnished apartment but not ideal for the couple with a dog near Yaya shopping center which is also a near location to upperhill.  \it goes for 120,000 a month and has a swimming pool and dstv connected.

Is it just me... but I prefer the expression "Staff Quarters"

Are you looking for staff quarters??  Thought he asked for an aprtment, house or villa etc but not staff quarters.  There are no staff quarters that cost 120,000 per month.

Westlands and kileleshwa and kilimani would be ideal.Currently I do have 4 bedroom apartment available in Westlands which is within your budget,as from may 10th 2011and also can organize alternative accommodation.Please you can get in t0uch with me on +254721805443,My name is Roger Kind regards

Eunia, Simon was being politically correct... hence using staff quarter instead of servant's quarter!!Simon,that makes two of us:-)

remember that you will need groceries. shop online at www.epepea.com. Delivery guaranteed anywhere in Nairobi.

Given that you might be coming to kenya for the first time, how and where you do your shopping matters. we will help you do your shopping from your convenience, log on to www.epepea.com and strt your grocery shopping. Shopping will be delivered wherever you are in Nairobi

Hi Mdboy and the Bull,
Welcome to Kenya in advance.

I would suggest Kilimani,Kilelesha or Lavington. Karen is also ok,but abit far from Upperhill. As for Westlands,close as it may (almost be), connecting from Westlands to Upperhill might be hard due to the crazy traffic. You could get accommodation in on of the mentioned locations,then relocate afterwards,once you have acquinted yourself well with Nairobi. It is poosible to get a house that has a staff quarter,just specify that in your searches and communications,then,once you find the place,you can ask one of your contacts here to go and verify the place for you,then you can make your other arrangements.