New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2016

Hi all,

Newbie on the Dominican Republic forum? Don’t know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Dominican Republic if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

PD : The thread New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 3rd quarter of 2016 continues below!

My wife and I are leaving Ontario in 2 weeks heading to our rental house for the next 6 months. Its our 1st step in down sizing and moving towards life abroad. I will be traveling back and forth for work. We are taking several suitcases and diving gear that's been sitting far too long. Our expectations limited to learning a new life. We are looking forward to embracing  new language, living small and with some luck finding our path to health and happiness. Although I have questions it's with excitement we look forward to learning firsthand and going with the flow. Thank you for permitting me to share.

Welcome to the forum. You will find many here with in valuable info on life in the DR.  I like your plan. I too have been working toward this goal. All including the dive gear.

StanR. Thanks for your kind reply. I found motivation when  a friend 6 months away from full time R&R fell several steps and is now a quadriplegic. Shortly thereafter another was lucky to survive several ailments.  We have looked and researched until the cows come home from one country to another. Each one wonderful in its own way. One day your life outlook changes and you find yourself asking whats the point. WE downsized to the point friends and family were either happy or preparing to have us committed. Unlike every country we deeply reviewed the DR is one never set foot in. Other than pointing to Sosua/Cabaret on the map we know zip. The qualifiers we're proximity to North & central America, flight times, cost, peso, sustainability, sun, water.
We found someone to take over our rent for 6 months. There is no turning back and with 2 weeks left have only our imagination to draw on. As Nike says..just do it!

Certainly with a 6 month test drive you will know if living in the DR is a fit for you. I think you will find that there is a lot of Canadians who had the same dream as you and are now living it.
I look forward to hearing if it meets your expectations.

Welcome to the forum. Good for you - life is too short. Live it your way!!!

Planner. Thank you and yes. All that wonder are not lost.

Thank you for kind words.

Ramdaddy  Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info and good people here.

We moved full time to the north coast (Sosau/Cabarete) area 10+ years ago full time.  We retired early as is too short.

Giving yourself a 6 month trial is a good thing as the DR is not for everyone. 

Let us know if we can help with anything

Bob k

Questions and answers about the Dominican Republic

Ask your question
La terrenas.
By Cookieboy1
Hairdressing jobs in Puerto Plata?
By Cookieboy1
Are you happy in Dominican Republic?
By Priscilla
Girlfriend experience in dominican republic
By Slavic12
By zaupino

Expatriate health insurance in Dominican Republic

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Dominican Republic

Moving to the Dominican Republic

Find tips from professionals about moving to the Dominican Republic

Travel insurance in Dominican Republic

Enjoy a stress-free travel across the Dominican Republic

Flights to the Dominican Republic

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to the Dominican Republic