Wanting to move to the DR for at least a year =)

Hi all! :)

I'm a single, 25 year old woman... no children... I work in the states as a dental assistant at the moment.. I'm looking to move to the DR sometime within the next year, for 6 months to a year. I've been doing my research... I have Rosetta Stone that I am diligently working with, as well as some close friends who are native speakers from the DR who have been tutoring me as I go. I love everything about the culture, the music, the food, and most of all the people. I am aware of the living conditions, the power outages and sparse hot water in areas... as well as "tigueres" and the need to be extremely careful being a single American woman. I'm foggy on how I would be able to find a job if I'm not a legal resident... maybe I should just save enough to last me a year, as well as extra money in case I need to make an emergency flight back home...? I've spoken with some who currently live there to get a feel for the changes I will undergo, as I've also been reading thru Expat.coms... any other advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! ;)

Hi and welcome to Expat.com DominicanaAtHeart!

Hope other members will be able to share some advices soon.

Good luck in your project.
Armand

To work her legaly you will need a cedula and residency card. These can take up to 6 months to get but you could work with proof that you have applied and paid the fees. Do understand that jobs will be hard to get and pay is nothing like what you ar used to in the US. A good paying job may give you  $300 a months or a little more.
If you do move here and are on the north coast we could use your dental assisting (on a volunteer basis) on Saturdays at our free medical/dental clinic at Monkey Jungle. We serve the local poor, and they are poor!

Bob K

Thank you Bob... how crucial is it that I get a Cedula & a residency card? Would I be able to live there for the amount of time I'm planning on, without getting them? :/

No need for cedula or residency to just live here for the time you are talking about. However you will have to pay an exit penality if here longer then 30 days. For 9 months to a year that will be $2500RD or about $65 dollars.

Bob K

Hi Chica!
I am very interested in talking to you as I am in a similar situation workwise. I will be spending all my summer over in DR and I can't relocate completely just yet since I am also doing graduate studies in the US. My husband lives in DR and I am planning on trying to get a job for the summer (in Santiago) I have come across work offers but all of them are for long term and at the moment I can not make that commitment so I would be happy to connect them with you. Anyhow hit me up if you would like to exchange ideas.

Saludos,
Elizabeth

In Santo Domingo there are plenty of call centers searching for english speaking people, and wages a over the average! Try with that!

As a native US Speaker, the resorts and hotels are always looking to hire.  They do not pay much, around $1000 a month, but that is a lot more than the average wage here.  It's all under the table. hahah.

So if you live by a resort area, hit up all the hotels and ask them.  Puerta Plata is always looking and I know a few people who work there.

They LOVE to hire Americans.

Good luck!

Be very careful of "under the table" jobs.

Bob K

gypsychristine wrote:

As a native US Speaker, the resorts and hotels are always looking to hire.  They do not pay much, around $1000 a month, but that is a lot more than the average wage here.  It's all under the table. hahah.

So if you live by a resort area, hit up all the hotels and ask them.  Puerta Plata is always looking and I know a few people who work there.

They LOVE to hire Americans.

Good luck!

hey Bob, how true is this information, I have experience wiht american call cneters here in india, worked with th e  likes of dish network, ge money and so on, is it possible for me get a job in hospitality industry?  customer support kinda roles, even im planning to live there for a year or so, what do u advice???

Ireplied to your pm
These $1000 "under the table" jobs are not that common and the compition for them fierce.
Like i said come for a month and explor you options

Bob K

i like the advice you are giving to everyone !!the grass is not always greener on the other side !! i have lived in numerous countries being a pilot and its only once you see how the beurocracy works and how full of B S THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES are !!

i am moving from canada to punta cana in april. i have a codo rented for 12 months.do i have to have a return ticket with me when i arrive or can i come on a oneway ticket

Unless you are a resident of the Dominican Republic you most likely will require a return ticket. Check with your air carrier.

Bob K

i am aplying for resedincey while im there. can i just purchase a refundable ticket.

That might work but read the fine print on the refundable ticket. Sometimes you are refunded a credit that has to be use in a certain period of time not refunded  your money.

Bob K