Moving permanently to Cabarete end of March and need answers.

My wife and I have quit our jobs, sold our house here in North Vancouver and have purchased a villa in Cabarete.  After searching the web we find there are too many conflicting bits of info pertaining to a permanent move.  We would like to chat with anyone from British Columbia who has moved permanently to the Dominican Republic (especially to the North Coast)that can share their experiences (good or bad).  We intend to bring our SUV as it is in mint condition, along with our household items (clotes, small kitchen appliances (no friges or stoves, etc.), dinnerware, books, trinkets from various trips, etc.  When can we ship our car and belongins?  Do we need to be a resident in order to do that?  What is the cost of duty and taxes on these items?  If anyone can shed some light on this it would be most appreciated.  Any other general pieces of info pertaining to a permanent move is welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Bruce and Kelly

Welcome to the board.  We moved here almost 5 years ago.  We also shipped a 40 foot container with our one time tax exoneration (needs to be withing 6 months of getting your residency). Your car also needs to be on the container and cannot be seperate. The car must be used and older then two years (some now say one year but I am  not sure if that is the case), you must have owned it for at least two years and it cannot be older then 5 years. You do not get the full tax break on cars but do get somewhat of a break and this can still be expensive depending on the type of car you are shipping.  The company I am sending you information on can help answer your questions. The folks we used for a perfect seamless move was:
Matia Arias
La Rosa Del Monte Express
Worldwide Movers
Dominican Republic
Tel: 809-685-6256
Fax: 809-682-0472   

Again welcome

Hello Bob K,
Thanks for the welcome.
Thank you for the quick response. We will contact La Rosa Del Monte Express for more info.  From what I'm reading, it looks like we can't ship out vehicle and goods until after we receive residency.  Do you know how long this takes and how to go about it?  Is there a "fast track" for this?
Bruce and Kelly