Making friends in Norway

Is anyone else finding it incredibly hard to make friends in Norway? I am a bit shy myself but it's to the point of rediculous with people here!

I'm at my wit's end... :(

Hi

I am also in search of friends in Norway....I am living in Gjovik Norway.....

:):):)

Maybe the expat network Norway could help?

Hello there all people using this Expat.com!!

I am a norwegian with a fiancee from the UK. We have moved together in Drammen, in my childhood home.

I have understood from comments here, and from my girlfriend, that norwegians are difficult and little friendly to get to know...  i am very sorry about that!!  I think in many cases that if you dare to take the first contact, the norwegians will be friendly back:)

I have found it hard to find other english speaking people in Drammen. Do any of you people reading this live in Drammen?? It is very hard to learn the Norwegian language and i understand that it is very good to be able to just chat away in your native toung from time to time, and therefor I hope to get in contact with other internationals in Norway:)

Send me a message about your experience in Norway!!

Hi Julien, yes it is hard to make friends in Norway. I have been here for one year and I am american. I find that norwegians are friendly but they have a different level of friendship. It is very hard to get deep in the heart and stay there. I find that norwegians stick to their childhood friends and don't really care to make new ones. This is of course only my opinion. I live in Bergen or I would love to have made friends with your girlfriend. Tell her good luck ;)

Hello there! my reply seems so late :=)
I also live here in Drammen,
Im a filipino national... but my stay here in Norway will not be longer than 2 yrs, but still would be so glad to meet u and her..

Hello,

I am new on this site, I am from England and I am living in Beitostolen. I have been in Norway for around 2 years with some breaks inbetween.

I have been working for outdoor companies in Norway and I am currently working for a ski school here in Beitostolen. The culture at these companies is quite relaxed and it's easy enough to make friends because everyone is in the same boat.

If anyone is ever up here on holiday then I would love to meet up and show you some of the after ski hot spots!

Pete

hei folks !!
Im new to this site and seems like I can make some good friends here. About me - 27yrs male, married but alone at the moment, IT consultant, simple & a fun loving person.

I like it indoors-outdoors as long as it doesn't bug anybody :). These days I'm trying to pick up some Norsk...so just in case if any of you folks like to exchange this teaching with any languages I know....then feel free to it my email ID. You can contact me otherwise also !!

Waiting for some responses !! Have a good time :)

cheers,
maverick !!

Hey, I am an American in Oslo. We can meet up and hang out. It is different here but very nice as well. Don't give up.

We can do drinks and coffee and have some laughs.

Send me an msg if you are interested.

:cool:

nice people here on expat-blog!!!!

MaryJo wrote:

I live in Bergen and need friends ASAP. 34 yrs old, female, fra filipinene. send me message if you like to meet.

Without friends, life could really become dull even if you are surrounded with beautiful sceneries. I hope you find kind-hearted people and eventually become your treasured friends. I wish I live near your place. I would definitely be incline to meet you. Seems like you are a nice person. :)

Pete101 wrote:

Hello,

I am new on this site, I am from England and I am living in Beitostolen. I have been in Norway for around 2 years with some breaks inbetween.

I have been working for outdoor companies in Norway and I am currently working for a ski school here in Beitostolen. The culture at these companies is quite relaxed and it's easy enough to make friends because everyone is in the same boat.

If anyone is ever up here on holiday then I would love to meet up and show you some of the after ski hot spots!

Pete

Hi Pete,

I am also new to this site and from joining a forum. Never did this before. lol

It would be a dream come true if I spend the holidays in Norway but more than that to meet someone like you, who is willing to show the ski hot spots. I think that's really nice of you.

cheche wrote:

Hello there! my reply seems so late :=)
I also live here in Drammen,
Im a filipino national... but my stay here in Norway will not be longer than 2 yrs, but still would be so glad to meet u and her..

Where will you be after Norway? Back in the Phils.?

britadiantraveller wrote:

Is anyone else finding it incredibly hard to make friends in Norway? I am a bit shy myself but it's to the point of rediculous with people here!

I'm at my wit's end... :(

That's quite sad. But don't give up, just keep on trying.

hi for all im zidan i live in tonsberg and And I'm from France I like so Mache friends I make every  10 days  nice party in me Rome  bat I don't have friends bacons this I want talking and dons with girl and wee making good party  [email protected]

to soughtafter:

no.. I am looking for a new job, either in Denmark or Germany:D
I'll be back in Phils just for holiday within this year..

Have a great day ahead!

I agree.... it is INCREDIBLY difficult! Just moved to Oslo myself, 2 months ago. So many people around, yet so lonely!

Long winter didn't help loool

I find it harder to find a wingman tough lol

lol me too Amiiiin

After 5 months in Norway, I gained many friends and found love as well. Jeg er ikke alene nå. If youŽre truly sincere and keep on smiling, itŽs not impossible to find good friends.

yepp, the same here..i have tried to make friends with norwegian, and actually northern european people, but i dont know whats wrong with them??? they act so cold..or maybe i dont do it the right way?? but how else can u make friends???

some norwegians seem cold but you may find other norwegians warm.
go to bars, nightclubs....and talk to them....make friends... find them also online and exchange emails. say good things about them and make sure you mean it. You  may also meet other foreigners in bars, restaurants, shops or clubs. Like you, they also need friends.

if you got online, im filipino working in bergen, can you say something about the place?thanks and see you online

if you got online, im filipino working in bergen, can you say something about the place?thanks and see you online

Is balud available in Oslo?

I am missing it....

Hi

I've met a few people in Oslo and I hope to meet more! I am always happy to meet up with for a coffee with anyone (expat or other!)

drop me a line

James

hey all,

i'm going to study in Oslo, i'll be there around August. it'd be great if can have friends even before i'm officially there.

Mira

Hi Mira, welcome on Expat.com ! :)

I have friends--my cat, the neighbors dog, the seagulls by the beach, name it haha..But yeah I totally am in sync with you. Making friends in Norway is a bit difficult.

1. There is a language barrier. (Try attending language school)

2. They are a little reserved and values privacy. (Never invade someone else's privacy or ask something private like how much they make in a month or how old is someone, things like that.)

3. They are a bit hesitant with change. Like foreigners coming into their blessed land. (They are not racists, they try so hard to be equal and just with newcomers.)

4. They love silence and just being in a serene environment. (Don't play too loud music or get too drunk somewhere and also don't throw your garbage anywhere especially in the neighbors trash can.)

5. Try small conversations with the locals, try to blend in, try to acquire acculturation, observe holidays, follow the laws, respect religion, and most of all EAT YOUR MATPAKKE!!

(Never invade someone else's privacy or ask something private like how much they make in a month or how old is someone, things like that.)

I wouldn't say that Sarrah, everyone can go online and find out exactly how much anyone else  made the year before (skattelister). So how much you make in a month is no secret.

OMG ! Unbelievable, I just checked it, and yes I could find how much my colleagues earned the previous year. That is a serious complete shame in regard to privacy !

AliBongo wrote:

(Never invade someone else's privacy or ask something private like how much they make in a month or how old is someone, things like that.)

I wouldn't say that Sarrah, everyone can go online and find out exactly how much anyone else  made the year before (skattelister). So how much you make in a month is no secret.

Å, ja..haha that one I didn't remember...nothing is private when it comes to income and taxes...thanks!

Hi!
If any of you live close to Skien, Brevik, Stathelle, Langesund - feel free to join me for a coffee!. I am Polish living in Brevik with my Spanish boyfriend. After a year in Norway I have a lot of friends from school, but no Norwegians ;-(. I guess it is also the matter that I still have no job - otherwise it could be easier maybe.
Anyway, you are very welcome for cup of coffee (or tea)!

Amiiiin wrote:

OMG ! Unbelievable, I just checked it, and yes I could find how much my colleagues earned the previous year. That is a serious complete shame in regard to privacy !

It's for the purposes of transparancy..so that people can be held accountable.

There is a centralized database for government and official use which holds your address at all times. It is illegal to not be registered with the 'folkeregisteret' without a current address.

Sarrah wrote:

I have friends--my cat, the neighbors dog, the seagulls by the beach, name it haha..But yeah I totally am in sync with you. Making friends in Norway is a bit difficult.

1. There is a language barrier. (Try attending language school)

2. They are a little reserved and values privacy. (Never invade someone else's privacy or ask something private like how much they make in a month or how old is someone, things like that.)

3. They are a bit hesitant with change. Like foreigners coming into their blessed land. (They are not racists, they try so hard to be equal and just with newcomers.)

4. They love silence and just being in a serene environment. (Don't play too loud music or get too drunk somewhere and also don't throw your garbage anywhere especially in the neighbors trash can.)

5. Try small conversations with the locals, try to blend in, try to acquire acculturation, observe holidays, follow the laws, respect religion, and most of all EAT YOUR MATPAKKE!!

Respecting religion? The state church in Norway is a joke, and everyone knows this. You can quite freely criticize religion. Don't forget, Norway is the home of church burning.

As for valuing the privacy, this is true. But a general rule is if you want to get a norwegian to talk, find something we all have in common, sex. This has been brought to my attention on multiple occasions from both Norwegians and foreigners alike. But yeah, classic subjects such as weather is always a safe bet.

And a quick stroll around in any town centre on a friday or saturday night reveals the Norwegians to be a very drunk people, before they head back for a nachspiel to drink even more. Though yes, it is slowly changing as Norwegians are finally becoming slightly more cultured with through their travels.

Guys i would like to share what i felt here. I am from India and i moved to Oslo 3 months ago for a change. I think i choose the worng place. I have been to other European countries the people there are very cool they welcome new friends in their not here. Most of friends which i made here are mostly foreigners. I have been to many norwegian parties with my colleagues from job. Nobody speaks in English but when they are drunk they become friendly as hell. Next day they dont know you..... thats how it is.
Guys if anybody is interested i am starting a new thread where i am going to start a meetup we should meet and have fun.

Best Regards
Sumit

Am afraid I also feel that way about Norway...

Unfortunnatly, alot of Norwegians behave like this. My partner is foreign, and even at family gatherings, someone must occasionally kindly inform everyone that they are being rude and should speak english so we can all understand. We don' live in Norway, henceforth her learning the language is not crucial obviously. But as they say, when in Rome, do as the Romans. Learning the language is a huge step in the right direction to break down barriers.

I think they're quite good actually in English, I know how it is in France (was born and raised in Brussels), and there it's way harder for an expat from the point of view of language.
What is more annoying for me here is the long winter, low density, this Vorspil and alcohol policy that makes local bars and clubs empty before midnight, etc. I'm also not sure of how the bouncers are in respect to pakistanis here (compared to UK for instance)...

From my personal experience, the UK is way more racially tolerant than Norway. And as for the low population density, I think it is rathee, though I would never move back to a Norwegian town..they are quite boring. Probably great places to live if you work and raising a family, but if you're young the options are predominantly 1 of the 5 'big' cities..

and yes, Norwegians do speak English quite well considering, but alot of them are very shy when it comes to speaking it infront of other Norwegians. I have even had Norwegians become aggressive towards me due to my superior spoken English as a Norwegian..