Filipinos in Norway

Dear expat.com team,

Do you have a link in this site where I can look for Filipino members? Thanks.

Is it correct? Thanks
https://www.expat.com/en/network/europe/norway/

So disappointed that no Filipino fella willing to help 😭

Filipino buy&sell norway. Try to search in fb

Most Filipinos here are in the Norway Visas Forum, you can try to look and contact kabayans there.

@rachelmedina
@alina

Thanks to both of you for responding.
Btw, are you both living in Norway?

yes I am living here in Norway :)

@alina
Did you apply as student, immigrant, or others? I have read in a lot of forums that if you do not speak Norwegian it is very hard to get hired for a job there. I was really trying to find fellow Filipinos who are successfully living in Norway and can help advise how aspiring and hopeful Filipinos like me can possibly land a decent job in Norway, but sadly none have lend a helping hand, maybe they don't have the time, maybe they were too busy to join forums such as this.

Thank you alina for responding. 😊

cerulean6 wrote:

@alina
Did you apply as student, immigrant, or others? I have read in a lot of forums that if you do not speak Norwegian it is very hard to get hired for a job there. I was really trying to find fellow Filipinos who are successfully living in Norway and can help advise how aspiring and hopeful Filipinos like me can possibly land a decent job in Norway, but sadly none have lend a helping hand, maybe they don't have the time, maybe they were too busy to join forums such as this.

Thank you alina for responding. 😊

From one Filipino to another, my answer is that first- it really depends on which sector you plan to work, second thing is the location, third is the educational background you have, fourth is the norwegian language which I want to differentiate that for different expats here in Norway, meaning some people from other countries can get a job here easily especially if they have a sure employer from here but otherwise my best advise that I can give is that you need to learn and speak the language, I came here in Norway a few years ago because of work, I wasn't required to learn norsk that time but that became a problem for me because I need to permanently relocate here due to my marriage to a Norwegian and if I want to practice my profession here I need to pass A2 for the perm residency and B2 for the SAK authorisation. Of course other jobs here don't really require a higher form of the norsk language qualification especially if English is a working language. But if you still think about it in a nutshell, it would be seamless if you can be conversational or proficient in the norwegian language before you seriously plan to move and work here. It's true that most Norwegians can communicate in English but let's face it there are still plenty people especially the elders who may not be comfortable in talking english to a foreigner like us in their own country. By the way, there is no visa for jobseekers from the Philippines unless you recently graduated here or you are an approved Researcher that matches the educational standard here.  Work permit mostly entails a concrete job offer from a Norwegian employer whom offers 80%-100% position. So finding an employer is very essential. These are just my honest opinion, my side of the coin in regards to your question kabayan. Should you have additional questions feel free to write then.

Your advise was very very helpful and very sincere @alina. Thank you so much for that. Correct me if I'm wrong, you were able to get to Norway because you already have an employer, the you met someone Norwegian who is now your husband when you were already living in Norway, is that right?
I believe that the easiest way to get to Norway is when you have a Norwegian fiancé. That will never be applicable to me as I am happily married with 2 kids. We are living here in the Philippines but I wanted to move to Norway with them. Your best advise is for me to have an employer first as well as learn Norwegian language. That was not easy but I was hoping I could learn where I can possibly apply for a job that fits my qualifications and has English as working language . It may sound funny and I may be asking too much but just in case you learned any international job opening there, would you please be kind to inform me, only if you are willing? I know that it is not easy to move to Norway as they say the cost of living is way too high, they say it was even ridiculous to think there is sense in every cost of everything there.

but I will never know unless we try, besides, nothing is really easy at first.
Thank you @alina for your advise. I appreciate that so much, just to let you know. God bless! 😊

Hi Cerulean! Just to clarify- I'm a medic for a Norwegian offshore company here and was working with my husband at the same company. I would also like to correct you on your belief that the easiest way to get here is thru marriage. No. Anyone can get here as long as you can comply with all the requirements, etc. There is no really easy way.. But the real question is how can you survive and adjust in this society? Something to ponder on. In terms of international jobs, I can post here a few links where you can try to check out and see if you can find a job  that suits your qualification. I may be wrong but I am guessing that there might be jobs in Oslo since its the capital that uses english as a working language in MAYBE some IT, hospitality, probably food, cleaning or international offices there. I'm not really sure because its better to have people from Oslo talk about that. BTW, there is an FB page Buy&Sell in NORWAY where I noticed a lot of Filipinos working there in Oslo, maybe if you ask there you can get some advices or help there!

work in norway site

Visas

people who verify foreign education

NAV

Hi @alina 😊
You have said that the question is how to survive and adjust with the society, is it really true that Norwegians in general aren't really friendly? That's what I often read in other forums, I don't want to believe them unless I experience 😁, but because you seem to be a sincere kind of person I could take whatever you will advise.

I'd once again like to thank you for all the information you have given me. I wish you all the best in life as I think you deserve them.

cerulean6 wrote:

Hi @alina 😊
You have said that the question is how to survive and adjust with the society, is it really true that Norwegians in general aren't really friendly? That's what I often read in other forums, I don't want to believe them unless I experience 😁, but because you seem to be a sincere kind of person I could take whatever you will advise.

I'd once again like to thank you for all the information you have given me. I wish you all the best in life as I think you deserve them.

I don't blame them for experiencing such unfriendliness from the Norwegians. We don't really know. It's hard to judge.In my experience, it's not that bad. You might think I'll be biased but honestly maybe they are a bit reserved. Maybe some people misinterpret that as being unfriendly. Basically, don't expect to receive a wide smile from someone here you just meet on a street. Of course they won't really smile at you. Maybe if you greet "Hei!" while walking in the street - my guess would be max 2 out of 5 would response back. They are friendly to me like when I ask something I don't really understand, they would answer me back in english in friendly/polite way,  but a few times I also encountered people who just talk back to me in Norwegian even if I asked in english (maybe they really don't know how to speak english or just SHY). It never really bothered me. It just bounces back to me that I am here in their country,I should adjust. In my workplace they are all friendly and easy to get along with. I never had any problems interacting/communicating with them. They mind their own business and don't pry or bug me or bully me at all. That's all good for me. And my advice, working with different nationalities, I don't really generalize or stereotype because each one of us are individually unique I stay away from completely judging a person just because they are from Norway or wherever. :)

Yes, I think so too. We really cannot judge unless we know a person too well.
So good for you if you were being treated nicely eversince you went there. Not all foreigners get the same luck as yours.
Based from your experience, is it advisable that I move in there together with my family? Would it be more beneficial to raise children there than here in our country? I know that the concern would be the cost of living there, but in terms of educating children, healthcare, and others, are these things much better there than here? Would you rather live there for good or choose to live somewhere else? If you want to keep it personal it's definitely fine. 😊

cerulean6 wrote:

Yes, I think so too. We really cannot judge unless we know a person too well.
So good for you if you were being treated nicely eversince you went there. Not all foreigners get the same luck as yours.
Based from your experience, is it advisable that I move in there together with my family? Would it be more beneficial to raise children there than here in our country? I know that the concern would be the cost of living there, but in terms of educating children, healthcare, and others, are these things much better there than here? Would you rather live there for good or choose to live somewhere else? If you want to keep it personal it's definitely fine. 😊

Before I answer your questions, I'd like to know what kind of job are you going to apply here? So that I can give a quite detailed information regarding your sitch. :)

I am an industrial engineer and had a solid 10 years work experience as an industrial engineering technician in a semiconductor company here in our country. But I had to resign from work because there's no one to look after my little children, we were depending solely from my husband's salary. Now that my kids were growing up I feel that I need to go back to work as I am not getting any younger too. Might as well work while I still can. Maybe my degree wouldn't matter there as I did not gain my education there, so whatever job as long as it's legit, decent, and most especially can provide for my family - can sustain our needs to survive living there, who am I to choose? I would take any job offer that could make us live decently there. It really matter to me that my kids would be able to grow up loving their environment and feeling good about life, so I wanted to find a place where my husband and I can raise them well.

cerulean6 wrote:

I am an industrial engineer and had a solid 10 years work experience as an industrial engineering technician in a semiconductor company here in our country. But I had to resign from work because there's no one to look after my little children, we were depending solely from my husband's salary. Now that my kids were growing up I feel that I need to go back to work as I am not getting any younger too. Might as well work while I still can. Maybe my degree wouldn't matter there as I did not gain my education there, so whatever job as long as it's legit, decent, and most especially can provide for my family - can sustain our needs to survive living there, who am I to choose? I would take any job offer that could make us live decently there. It really matter to me that my kids would be able to grow up loving their environment and feeling good about life, so I wanted to find a place where my husband and I can raise them well.

It would be better if you can practice your profession here, before you think of fully settling here, you need a job contract from an employer here. Kids are well supported here by the government, I am really impressed with the welfare system here.

"is it advisable that I move in there together with my family? Would it be more beneficial to raise children there than here in our country? I know that the concern would be the cost of living there, but in terms of educating children, healthcare, and others, are these things much better there than here? Would you rather live there for good or choose to live somewhere else? "

Yes they allow family reunification here. Like what I've said earlier, the welfare system here is really good and secured, I'm just not sure with the benefits bec that depends on the visa you are on. I prefer raising my kids here because of many things, but the most important thing for me is these: the welfare stability, safety and high quality education for them.

Thank you @alina, I am really glad and thankful to have talked to you in this forum. I hope to land a job there in Norway, if it is God's will for my family too. I'll take your every advise. I hope we can keep in touch too. Always be safe and God bless 😊

cerulean6 wrote:

Thank you @alina, I am really glad and thankful to have talked to you in this forum. I hope to land a job there in Norway, if it is God's will for my family too. I'll take your every advise. I hope we can keep in touch too. Always be safe and God bless 😊

I wish you well in your job search, learn the language, at least try, my regards to you and your family.
Just post here or send a mssg should you have queries. Lykke til!

Sure I will. 😊
If you happen to learn any job being open also for foreign nationals please consider to inform me. Tusen takk  @alina 😊

hello

Hello @gen89

stavanger?

Hi!
No, I am from the Philippines.
Maybe other fellow Filipinos in this thread are from stavanger 😊

Hi Alina,

I am an aspirant job seeker.. i really love to work in Norway and it's  my dream to live there ever since high school.. but it is difficult for me to find an agency in the Philippines that has job offers to Norway..
do you know some agencies? thank you

Hello iammelevinfernandez,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

This topic is quite old; could you please post a new topic on the Norway forum/Philippines forum?

You are more likely to find some answers this way.

All the best,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

Hello fellow filipinos

Do you have WhatsApp there

Hi from turkey I live in İzmir city turkey now

Hi alina 😊 do you have recommendations where i can learned the language? Online class? Or websites 😊

Thankyou

Yes, I am still looking for a Norwegian academy. Can you help me?

Hi sherwin. Yes 😊

HI,
You need to contact UDI before they will be able to tell you the right thinks.