Common misconceptions and clichés about life in Taiwan

Hello everyone,

Old clichés die hard, as the saying goes... and living in Taiwan can generate lots of misconceptions in the eyes of the people.

What are the most common misconceptions about the expat lifestyle in Taiwan?

What are the most common clichés about life in Taiwan in general?

Did you have a biased view of the country before moving there? What is you view now?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Cliches are what help many people feel like they have an understanding of a group of people when they don't have any real experience to help them make an informed opinion.  Depending on what you hear it's possible to create a really believable impression which can be backed up by even the most superficial evidence.  In fact when we go into situations with preconceived notions, we usually go looking for and find "facts" that only loosely justify our opinions.

Being a minority in Canada and in Taiwan, I've been exposed to cliches and misconceptions about my ethnic group my whole life and I know how ridiculous and uninformed people sound when they say them out loud.

There are tons of generalizations about foreigners and also Taiwanese people but I would suggest that you please don't listen to them.  Get out and meet them before you form opinions because for each one I've heard, I've experienced situations which support and also contradict what they say.  There is a really good youtube video of a foreign guy getting harassed by a Taiwanese guy on the MRT.  This one really breaks down a lot of cliches and old adages Taiwanese people have of foreigners.

You really have to look at everything and then make your own decision about what to think.

You should set up a workshop to share your personal insights regarding ex-pats in Taipei. Meanwhile maybe you can cite a few that you've met who defy negative stereotypes to be enviable examples, instead of the usual cash-strapped, English-majors without Chinese literacy nor substantial job skills forced to Taiwan to eke out a living by teaching ESL, many of whom also marry local women to gain residency and roof over their heads.

Salut Priscilla :)

Je suis d'accord avec Robert. Smith... son avis semble le plus objectif...

"Cliches are what help many people feel like they have an understanding of a group of people when they don't have any real experience to help them make an informed opinion."

Et "Get out and meet them before you form opinions because for each one I've heard, I've experienced situations which support and also contradict what they say."

Et bienvenue à Taïwan...

Robert.Smith wrote:

....There is a really good youtube video of a foreign guy getting harassed by a Taiwanese guy on the MRT.  This one really breaks down a lot of cliches and old adages Taiwanese people have of foreigners.

Are you implying that Taiwanese are more hostile to foreigners than the general perception stating otherwise?

What are those old adages and cliches that Taiwanese have of  foreigners?

hauthomme wrote:

What are those old adages and cliches that Taiwanese have of  foreigners?

What are they?