~$500 for work permit and residency card: fair or no?

Hi,

I'm considering teaching with a firm that's offering to take me on and assume some responsibility for my work permit and residency card. They want $10.6 m VND ($478) to take care of both.

I'm reading online that the fees for the work permit and residency card are a little less than half of what my prospective firm is offering.

Is this a fair price? I have no experience with this process, and have no idea how difficult it would be to obtain these permits on my own.

-JL

Of course you will have to do the physical yourself but how much is your time worth?  In my case I went downtown not once but twice to find a critical office closed due to street repairs.  The permit represents at least two days of running around time and that is if everything goes OK and if you have a Vietnamese speaking person assisting you.  Getting all the documents properly translated and certified is the problem.  A net 5 million is probably fair.  In the US that would buy not even one hour of lawyer time.

By rights the school should pay as the permit is not only yours to work but also a permit for them to hire you.  Perhaps they are hedging against your leaving before too long.  Maybe you could negotiate with them to return the fee to you if you work a given period such as one year.

If they do the translation of your pertinent papers, then maybe its quite good. As far as my experience, its a bit lesser than. Again, its on my part.

for me

cho ray hospital  1.577 mill , wait 5 days - takes 2 hours

uk consulate - need 2 book 3 weeks ahead,takes 30 minutes

MOFA ( govt rip-oFF SCAM/ NEW)  650K

WEEKS OUTSIDE VN, pointless time wasted - endless

sorry, keyboard is screwed .

2.4 million 2 get CRC, BA and CElta done in brit  consulate

Im now just waiting for the part where the guv says

" sooooooew, now u r a full time worker, and the corrupt immigration police r threatening any1 who works at another centre. Nooooow, that u paid for everything, perhaps we could talk about a monthly contract...?" ie i pay u less. hahh

WTV

I think THIG is on the money with the relativity:

"A net 5 million is probably fair.  In the US that would buy not even one hour of lawyer time."

..but then, it's also your own attitude and how YOU process the dynamics.
As Gandhi said: 'if you want to change the world, begin with your self'

Being devious, I don't even bother.   (or am I just good at skinning cats..?)
(Again, mostly)  ..it's too cheap to raise a sweat about it.

So at the end of the day, it's your choice.   Works for me.       :happy:

I doubt very much you will get it for 5 million, I paid 7 million 7 years ago, then it was a 3 year residence card. At 500usd it's not so bad, you will get a residence card for two years, that's just 250usd a year which is damn cheap.

If you hunt around you can find it cheaper, but at the end of the day you may waste a week or two looking for a cheap price when you could be working.

I've shelled out about 3k USD over the past 2.5 years in visa fees alone, so I think it's a bargain.

You're doing it wrong, Mark. Get a Business Visa, good for 1 year, no having to leave and reenter every 3 months. $400 to $450 for the letter, $135 at airport to stamp, once per year.

I think(?) I already told you this in a PM some months ago...

Zep--

the biz visa is a kinda grey area tho right? the imm filth here said that i can only work for the sponsor and must only do so whilst Im applying for the Work Permit.

BTW - once I have the WP. I try to change for a TT visa or VEC or TRC? I still confused. Any1 have experience of this?

The business visa is not a work visa. With the business visa, you (or most likely a visa agent) find a company to sponsor you. It's more like an exploratory visa, so maybe you want to come and see how feasible it may be to start a business or do some consulting in the future or whatever, but not work. The Work visa is a different animal
altogether.

Zep--

Only the Work permit allows you to work for an extended period legally.  We know a lot of people do it but no matter what visa, working without a WP can subject you to deportation and fine.  Deportation may be unlikely but it possible.

Zepo wrote:

You're doing it wrong, Mark. Get a Business Visa, good for 1 year, no having to leave and reenter every 3 months. $400 to $450 for the letter, $135 at airport to stamp, once per year.

I think(?) I already told you this in a PM some months ago...

Zep--

I've been in this country 8 years, so I know the ropes and have neither the time nor the desire to clue you in on what a f-ed up and ever changing mess they have going regarding visas.

I probably didn't tell you this a few months ago, but should have...

Having a business visa saved my a$$ a few years ago, so I'd say yes, it is a grey area.

Teacher Mark wrote:
Zepo wrote:

You're doing it wrong, Mark.    (( :o ))

Zep--

I've been in this country 8 years, so I know the ropes and have neither the time nor the desire to clue you in on what a f-ed up and ever changing mess they have going regarding visas.

Relax mate.   It's Ok.   (Most?) of us have known it for yonks too....     :joking:

Bazza139 wrote:
Teacher Mark wrote:
Zepo wrote:

You're doing it wrong, Mark.    (  :o  )

Zep--

Relax mate.   It's Ok.   (Most?) of us have known it for yonks too....     :joking:

You're right and so is he.  If I were doing it "right" I wouldn't have been in a position to have to spend that much.  Get a good job and stick with it, no matter what.  That's my advice...

Hi friends,

New info to me, but the tourist visa of 1 and 3 months is no longer issued. I ended up going with a 1 year visa for my initial entry in to Vietnam. Once inside the country, I feel I'll be in a better position to assess employers and immigration / work options.

jlopez0488 wrote:

Hi friends,

New info to me, but the tourist visa of 1 and 3 months is no longer issued. I ended up going with a 1 year visa for my initial entry in to Vietnam. Once inside the country, I feel I'll be in a better position to assess employers and immigration / work options.

You should be applying for a business/DN visa then:

Scroll down to the most recent posts for the latest developments:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 87&p=5