Dealing with homesickness in Canada

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Canada can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Canada? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Hi Priscilla, there are lots of stores offering British fare these days I live in red deer Alberta and the Wal mart here. As I am sure in all locations, across Canada at least, have a British section in fact they also have a French and a German section. Amusingly they are all separated by one aisle, which makes me wonder if the instigator of these sections Had a sense of humour. I am told there is a huge store in Calgary called the Scottish store I am not sure,  of it's name, but it is a veritable feast of wares from candies to crisps to mowbrays pork pies and pasties.... Yummmmm?

Nostalgia is like sunburn: that's not bad during the day ...but at night it hurts.                                                   there has not, as far as i knew , a cure for nostalgia.

Part of integrating is making new memories. You can make friends, participate in activities that bring you happiness or peace. Homesickness is a feeling that will stay even if you are happy in your country of residence. But remember why you left in the first place and keep in touch with your gang back abroad .

I can only speak for Toronto. This city breeds diversity from people, customs, communities to food so you'll always have something from your home country e. g. Korean Town, Little India, Corso Italia etc. However, you'll always miss home so my advise is self care. Take your time to adapt, mentally,  physically and emotionally. It is important to pay attention to yourself. I live here without any safety net at all and it's rough and a struggle. Check my page on Facebook, see if it helps:

Oh well let me take a swipe at this.

If you're living in a large city the likes of Toronto / GTA, Vancouver, Calgary, or Montreal for example, you can be rest assured that there's probably a neighborhood that would most likely embody your cultural background somewhat. Besides, these cities are diverse and have large influx of immigrants. Even the average super stores carry your Asian, Caribbean,  Mexican, Italian etc fares - knowing that they want to include all demographics that'll frequent their stores. Then there are countless of restaurants too and one for every types of culture known. So yes, you can never go wrong by heading to a major city if loneliness and homesickness seems to be a constant affliction.

If you're in a smaller city like myself, then you'd ought to put up with what you've got. Making new friends, accepting this new paradigm and changing your mindset helps.

If all fails, you can always pick up the phone or smart phone and skype / facetime the other side. Last of all, buy a ticket and head back home for a short visit.

I am interesting writing you to help me to work and live in Canada iam received two promotions work in Canada agricultural company , promise to schedule interview after documents submitted . Ask him how interview process and no response.                  What I don' now?                                                   You need comment on your topic I live in Egypt             thank you and best regards                                                          ibra55

Well in one phrase: changing country, it's like changing spouse, or husband, most end up having nostalgia of both...

i didn't understand well what you mean exactly.??
i assume you are using a machine translation tool, you can write to me in Arabic.

I am trying hard to adjust... it has been nearly 2 months away from home but i miss home everyday :(

There are friends, wives, fathers and brothers only (almost) in the homeland. The exiled is everywhere alone. However, Real and objective  happiness comes  mostly from  misfortune. ..                                                                                                                                                                   In brief:  exile is mortal....But paradoxically as it may seem, it's also a way to achieve immortality,                                                               if you  survive to it..

Questions and answers about Canada

Ask your question
Are you happy in Canada?
By Priscilla
moving to Canada
By Ameed
Danish family moving to Canada
By ChristinaRingsted
English-speaking jobs in Montreal
By mariejomar
Moving to Canada from the UK. Where to Start.....?
By BigRustyBear

Expatriate health insurance in Canada

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Canada

Moving to Canada

Find tips from professionals about moving to Canada

Travel insurance in Canada

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Canada

Flights to Canada

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Canada