Prince Edward Island (Anyone here?!)

Hello All,

Great to be part of Expat community group. Me and my family recently got an opportunity to immigrate to Prince Edward Island, Canada. This is through their Provincial nominee Program. We haven't chosen it yet. I'm curious to know if anyone is this group is living in P.E.I.

Like all places, it definitely has it PROS and CONS. What I'm looking at is it worth moving to PEI, hoping that I can get a job in telecommunications industry (management level), or just go to other provinces (like Ontario or BC)

Hi Joel,

PEI is a very small province of under 200,000 people. The main industries are farming, fishing and tourism. There is a large tech company on the island whose name escapes me at the moment.

The province is stunning in the summer, but a good portion of it closes up for the winter months (Labour day weekend until Victoria day), which means that only a few larger towns have restaurants open. For people with computer skills and tech skills it can be easy to get a job, as many of the locals (especially on the smaller towns) have just started embracing computer technology in the past decade.

When we lived there were missed bigger cities and would drive the three hours to Halifax to find amenities that just don't exist in PEI. It took us almost three years to get a family doctor.

It really depends what you're looking for. You couldn't find nicer people or a more tranquil setting, but if you're used to the city and a lot of diversity, the island may be a shock for you. Try and find a Telecom company there before you set your mind to it.

Good luck!

Hi Danica!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it will definitely be a new experience for us, and should holiday in a city :)

Are you a native of PEI?

No, we only lived there for three years, but enjoyed it, except for the nor'Easter storms in the winter. Clearing a long drive way of snow can be exhausting!

Thank you for the valuable input!

Hi Joel. My name is Barbara  Duncan  and I was born and  raised  on good 'ol  PEI.  I've been living abroad for a lot if years and part of the reason I left pei was also the small community way of living.  PEI is incredibly beautiful for sure, but you will have to deal with high rent,  ie: about 600-700 dollars monthly for a one bedroom, if you're lucky, maybe a two bedroom  apartment in Charlottetown, but that without utilities..... (that's high for PEI), no public transportation, and no doctor, (there are of course evening clinics but you're lucky if you get seen and that after waiting two hours..). In IT you can work just about anywhere  and I would recommend  PEI if you have  bad nerves and  need to find a place to live where you and your family can chill.  But don't be fooled... we islanders know how to have a good time, even in the  winter when  we're " snowed in". That is- totally burried under snow.  We have hockey in the winter, everywhere, and you can play......   and ice skating, skiing, snowmobiling....... . We get together as friends and neighbors, help each other out..... have kitchen parties and meet in coffee shops and restaurants all over.  It's true that the Islands primary business is tourism related but we still found plenty of amusement.  In summer of course biking, hiking, golfing, camping and beaching..... be careful of the currents and respect the warnings about swimming .  We have malls and shopping centers. You can find everything you need, but not always what you're used to from the  BIG cities.  No IKEA, no huge museums and renaissance art galleries....  and no super high class fancy places with celebrities, but that's okay.  Charlottetown is the biggest city centre, Summerside coming in second place, then sweet and quaint Montague, very pretty.  No bears, moose  or cougar to deal with, just skunks, racoon and coyote. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. If it's the high life with lots of action, then there's always Halifax, but even  HFX is small when you compare it with Toronto or Edmonton.   I would definitely recommend PEI as a place to live during your lifetime.  You might be pleasantly surprised.  Feel free to contact me if you want any help settling there. I might be able to give you a few heads up.... . All the best. Barbara.  Hamburg Germany.

Hi Barbara! Thank you for the details. Very informative :) About healthcare, another person also gave a not so positive review about healthcare. Queen Elizabeth hospital in charlottetown is not sufficient?

We are looking at living in Charlottetown, if PEI options becomes a reality.

Unfortunately not. If you have no doctor then it's either an evening clinic or the outpatients at the hospital.  Unless you're showing up with heart problems, don't expect to be seen less than anywhere from 6 to 12 hours.   12 is probably the longest you'll have to wait but it all depends what bigger emergencies might come up. That's life in Charlottetown.  Even when you have a doctor you can still wait two or three weeks for an appointment. That's why most just go to the evening clinics, although they have a family doctor.  Not much use if you're fighting a nasty infection. That's another huge reason I live abroad.

Thanks again. Well, we have been living all our lives in regions where low temp. was 55F and highest being 122F. Our only concern moving to Canada is the difference in temp. Hope it does not pose any health challenge to us.

cheers :)

Just to add a different perspective, we had fairly good luck at the evening/walk in medical clinics, but that was in Summerside. The weather allotment cause health issues, but you must be prepared for it. Lots of layers on the winter, real winter boots, hats, mitts etc. -20 in the sun worth little wind is actually quite pleasant with the right clothes. There is a lot of winter activities in PEI, but you need to be comfortable driving in snow conditions.  Barbara is right, people on PEI really do know how to have fun, for me it was just a different type of socializing than what I was used to on the west coast of Canada.

Yea. You're going to get the local bugs for sure, but you will get those no matter where you relocate. That's part of the package but, do it anyway. As our friends said, dress for the weather. Down winter coats, real winter snow boots, high as you can get 'em and hats, scarves and gloves.  If you are well equipped, you will have loads of fun.  People there will help you out a lot anyway so don't worry much. Best to buy the clothes when you are there, or pass through a place used to lots of snow and buy at second hand shops and just convince yourself that you  are going to get on well.  Then just jump in and have fun.😉 😊

Sounds fun :) Thanks again! will let you how it goes :)

Thanks.  looking forward to hearing what you decided.  Take care.

Questions and answers about Canada

Ask your question
Are you happy in Canada?
By Priscilla
moving to Canada
By Ameed
Danish family moving to Canada
By ChristinaRingsted
English-speaking jobs in Montreal
By mariejomar
Moving to Canada from the UK. Where to Start.....?
By BigRustyBear

Expatriate health insurance in Canada

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Canada

Moving to Canada

Find tips from professionals about moving to Canada

Travel insurance in Canada

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Canada

Flights to Canada

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Canada