Possibly Moving to Aguadilla

Hi All,

I never knew I had the guts to do it but I jumped off a cliff and applied for a job in Aguadilla. I have never traveled outside of the continental US and do not speak Spanish.  I am a beginner but I enjoy the structure of the language and I am excited about starting up my learning again.  I am starting my research of the city and relocating to a beautiful island from scratch and I am quite nervous...but excited all at the same time.  I am single, no children with a furbaby (Chihuahua).  I assume that my move would have an extremely aggressive timeline due the how quickly the interview process progressed. So, I am looking for an apartment and information on public transportation in Aguadilla. I don't think I want to ship my own car just yet. Would I look like a moving target walking around the city alone with my pup? I sure hope not. I would sell most of my belongings and only ship clothing, shoes and a few items that I know I wouldn't be able to find in PR like my favorite salad dressing :) Thank you for having me and all of your advice in advance.  I am taking notes from the posts I've read already!

You are going to need a vehicle of some type in PR. Nobody is likely to bother you when walking the dog, but a woman walking at night in an area where there is no people is not recommended. Crime are usually based on opportunity, so do not temp them.

Hope you get the job.

Thank you so much. I have a lot to consider. I don't want to rent a vehicle because it is super expensive and I am nervous about buying a car there because I don't speak Spanish. I will try not to worry for today. Next round of interviews is tomorrow. Thank you kindly for replying.

You can buy a car for 2 to 4k, and use it for a year or 2 while you decide if you are staying longer or not. It may not look great but it can take you places and still be reliable enough.

I  don't think looks are that important to me. I want reliable and clean. It would need to make it to San Juan and back with no issues  ;)  I will consider that. So, I have a question about entertainment. Is most of the entertainment like stage shows, karaoke or theater limited to resort towns there?

Hello Tchee to go.

I just moved to Aguadilla a few days ago, you're going to need a car. I'd think twice about shipping, it doesn't matter which shipping company you go with, it's all a crap shoot, you may get lucky, then you may not. My car was lost and damaged, I was going to move to the Virgin Islands, and before they found my car I changed my mind about living on the USVI, Puerto Rico has it all over the USVI! I had the shipper return my car to my place in New Mexico.
I stayed in San Juan last week to get a car. I was planning on buying a late model used car with a $350 a month car payment at the most. I want a car that will give me a few years of trouble free operation. Instead, I found a deal on a new Toyota Prius, It was $100 more a month, including insurance, but besides the 50 miles to a gallon, it came with a 8 year bumper to bumper warranty coverage. So now I have 8 years of trouble free transportation.   

Maybe it's a little too much for you, but I don't see much of public transportation on the roads and the way Aguadilla  is set up, I'd say you'll need a car to get around.  I've only been here less than a week and I love the place. I'm 5 minutes away from a lot of beautiful beaches. The place I'm staying has some openings, it's a 1 bedroom fully furnished, nice swimming pool, close to stores, but I'm still finding my way around. But if you have any questions, just ask me, I'll try to answer you.

Butch

Welcome

Check my post "Getting to know and enjoy the island" I made a compilation of the best sites to get info from local and tourist perspectives... PR is like being in Miami probably.. Im sure if you dont find your favorite salad dressing you might find the next best thing or a whole new one that you have never tried..rememeber you'll be living where others vacation that in itself will be an awesome experience and Aguadilla Isabela and Rincón are the best in the west!!

:cheers: Thank you!!! I really appreciate your response. I am settled on having to buy a car there. I am going to give my car here to family.  I am on the final round of interviews for the job (whoohooo)  so we will see if I make the cut and need to finalize my arrangements. I  was informed that we have corporate housing options.

247realestatepr wrote:

Welcome

Check my post "Getting to know and enjoy the island" I made a compilation of the best sites to get info from local and tourist perspectives... PR is like being in Miami probably.. Im sure if you dont find your favorite salad dressing you might find the next best thing or a whole new one that you have never tried..rememeber you'll be living where others vacation that in itself will be an awesome experience and Aguadilla Isabela and Rincón are the best in the west!!

Thank you sir! I am excited! I will read it tonight. I will be in touch if I get the job!

Awesome! .. just be ready for the island time experience bring your flops shorts sunglasses  and to live open minded.. feel free to contact me for real estate and mortgage if you decide to buy.. as for a car look for low mileage inspite the year.. I have saved thousands following that strategy..  roads and streets are not in best shape so I wouldn't go for a car,  small or medium suv's like Subaru Forester are super versatile thief proof super reliable low gas consumption very low maintenance.. I own one 2004 its the 3rd in the family..looking for my 4th

Buena suerte!

Check out the reply I made to HinkleyK,

Butch

not sure what you mean by "stage shows" ...legitimate theater (ie. plays and stage shows of the spoken word) are mostly only in Spanish.... there is live music all over the island much of it is  local bands of all types of music.    if you are looking for 'URBAN" music and shows, San Juan metro is your best best... go to Puerto Rico Day trips for the best info on the net and Condado insider for info about happenings in Condado.

I GOT THE JOB!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
When are you moving in?????

Get with Carlos or some of the members that live in Aguadilla for a place to rent.
Soon you will have someone speaking sweet things in your ear in Spanish, great way to learn.
Congratulations

Congratulations! So glad to hear it worked out for you!

Awesome news!

ReyP wrote:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
When are you moving in?????

Not sure yet. I have to train my current role first

Congrats on the job. I am pretty sure you should enjoy living in Aguadilla.  I recently moved here with my family. Some things can be cumbersome however the people are friendly and the area has most of the things needed to live comfortably.  As for buying a car. It is best to purchase cash in hand or have financing already established. There are several dealers and used cars can be found on classificado on line.i have been here for 12 weeks. We moved from atlanta. I hope this info helps. Uf you have any further questions feel free to reach out. Best of luck. C james

theplasmaguy wrote:

Congrats on the job. I am pretty sure you should enjoy living in Aguadilla.  I recently moved here with my family. Some things can be cumbersome however the people are friendly and the area has most of the things needed to live comfortably.  As for buying a car. It is best to purchase cash in hand or have financing already established. There are several dealers and used cars can be found on classificado on line.i have been here for 12 weeks. We moved from atlanta. I hope this info helps. Uf you have any further questions feel free to reach out. Best of luck. C james

Thank you PlasmaGuy!! I will definitely keep in touch with you. I will be moving from Atlanta as well. I decided to get my feet wet there before shipping the items I want to keep. I am going to pursue short term corporate housing as an option first. Soooo much to do but I am excited!

One item to know:
There is a big controversy about a trash burning electric plant in Cambalache, Arecibo. This may not affect you but who knows what the winds are going to do.
Today the public comment meeting was cancel around 25 minutes before the meeting, this is the second public meeting that has been cancelled. Even the lawyers for the group that is trying to stop it were not allowed the building where the meeting was to be held.

Looks like they are just trying to push it in without allowing por public review and without environmental review.

Hard to say what will be in the trash that will be burn to produce electricity.

You all in that general area may want to check.

I am returning to atl today and staying a few weeks. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me as I am still currently learning and long here. This is a very good place to live. Fyi...San juan is only 2 hrs away. Take xare

theplasmaguy wrote:

I am returning to atl today and staying a few weeks. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me as I am still currently learning and long here. This is a very good place to live. Fyi...San juan is only 2 hrs away. Take xare

I'm taking a roadtrip from ATL this weekend to go unload some of my things.  If you have time when I get back next week maybe we can meet for coffee. I am starting a list of questions lol Oh, and I am sure I will be in San Juan at least every 2-3 weekends. I am scouting for a spot to keep myself busy.

Coffee and questions sounds good to me. I am sure I can give you a real time prospective of your upcoming move. I will give you the 411...do 's and don't of the island. I can say this.  If you come with an open mind and  heart...you will love..love..love ...puerto rico...here is my number.. feel free to reach out anytime..have a safe trip...
xxx
C. James

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You may exchange them via the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

You should not send email addresses and phone mungers via the open channel please use PM.