Happy New Year from a forum noob :)

Hi everyone

Just signed up on here, thought id drop a little intro. Used this site a little when i first considered to live here and love the feel of it, good to know im not 'an alien in new york' as that old song went!
Anyway, i just moved into my appartment today and im very much unsure what to do with myself...i live close to Road 9 so i think im going for a walk there now to find some cleaning products....exciting times!
If anyone has any tips, warnings, suggestions, or just wants to chat, please feel free :) although obviously im off shopping now, il reply as soon as i see any messages :)

Happy new year all!

Tim

You Should specify the issue that you need tips, warnings or suggests in to make it easy for us.

There is no issue...it was just a happy new year and an intro...

Hi Timmy,

Welcome to Cairo. I'm a fellow UKer, and know that at first Cairo can be *very* daunting. My biggest tip is to just get stuck in. Locals are always willing to help and it does wonders for your Arabic too.

If you want any help you can give me a shout. I don't live close to Maadi (although I'm not too far by metro), but am willing to help anyway. :)

Hey.. welcome to Egypt.

I am not here long myself but if I can do anything to help - give me a shout. :D

Hi The Londoner and Magdaw :)

Thank you for your messages!

Have been here on work since August 2010 but in a hotel, with a driver etc so i cant consider that living...yesterday was my first day in a new flat so that for me would be my first day of living in Cairo. Next on the list is to try and learn more arabic as mine is very basic to say the least...any advice for that, or would it be as simple as just going to a school?

Thanks guys :)

I would go for school - at least it gives you some structure and is a great way of meeting other people. I was studying with Arab Academy 2 years ago when i came here for 1 month.. and i will start with them again (actually today.. hooray!!). They are located in Garden City. If you want more details let me know :)

Thanks magdaw, yeah if you have more info like a contact person, prices, times etc that would be great....

go to www.arabacademy.com - but for more details you can contact Hanan on [email protected]

They teach both Modern Standard Arabic and Egyptian Arabic. Last time I tried MSA this time I go for EA. Sign up quickly so you can join me in my group :)

I am doing part time - 2 hours a day. For exact pricing contact Hanan - she will tell you everything.

Good luck!!

Excellent, thank you :) I will email her today, would be good to get in your group! Work commitments might restrict me though...il see what she says.

Also, silly questions...do you get mosquitos here? I feel like iv been bitten a hundred times since yesterday, best solution to get rid of them? (spray etc?)

I had one flying beast in my room.. but it either died out of hunger (considering i havent been bitten) or just decided to change the apartment.
No idea what to advise -  maybe those electrical plug in stuff that is suppose to scare them off?
and are you sure its mosquitoes -  not like bed bugs?

http://www.fajr.com/

This is another school located at Dokki, easy to reach by Metro from Maadi.

TimmyUK wrote:

Excellent, thank you :) I will email her today, would be good to get in your group! Work commitments might restrict me though...il see what she says.

Also, silly questions...do you get mosquitos here? I feel like iv been bitten a hundred times since yesterday, best solution to get rid of them? (spray etc?)

Unfortunately there are mosquitoes here and some a very viscous! One decided that it was my face that it wanted to bite and left me with 5 bites. :(

What's been working for me are incense sticks that are infused with a citrus essential oil... I can't remember what the product is called, but they are huge long sticks that the mosquitoes don't seem to like at all. I bought them in Ragab Sons (supermarket), not sure where else you can find them.

magdaw wrote:

I had one flying beast in my room.. but it either died out of hunger (considering i havent been bitten) or just decided to change the apartment.
No idea what to advise -  maybe those electrical plug in stuff that is suppose to scare them off?
and are you sure its mosquitoes -  not like bed bugs?

Im sure (especially after The Londoners comment) its mozzys. T.L, where is that supermarket? Il get some tomorrow...dot them around the flat....

Boby moon wrote:

http://www.fajr.com/

This is another school located at Dokki, easy to reach by Metro from Maadi.

Thanks Boby, il check that too :)

TimmyUK wrote:

Im sure (especially after The Londoners comment) its mozzys. T.L, where is that supermarket? Il get some tomorrow...dot them around the flat....

The supermarket isn't located in very many places, but there is one in Maadi at 6 El Laselky Street. The brand of the incense is 'Citronella Home'. You should find it in the home fragrance section or the insect repellent section.

Let me know how you get on. :)

Thanks TL :) I hope it works, i think i have a couple bites on the face too now :(

Hi TimmyUK
There is a mild spray mosquito repellent called keep Away , you find it in any supermarkets, in an orange recipient. Is really good, also it works with Raid liquid, but once you put it on electricity, you should keep the doors closed. Are the only things acceptable that ive tried and it worked on the market. Good luck :)

Hey TimmyUK,

how has ur first week been? Any luck with school and mosquitoes?

Happy New Year dude! Mosquitos here are brutal! I use RAID for flying insects. Just bomb your room/apt, but make sure you clear our before you do. I'm sure it's not healthy, but whatevs. Take care!

Wild wrote:

Hi TimmyUK
There is a mild spray mosquito repellent called keep Away , you find it in any supermarkets, in an orange recipient. Is really good, also it works with Raid liquid, but once you put it on electricity, you should keep the doors closed. Are the only things acceptable that ive tried and it worked on the market. Good luck :)

Thanks Wild...il give that a try. I saw some raid things that you plug into the wall and get like cartridges to refill are these any good?

Magdaw, most of my week has been taken up by work :( dont finish till 8pm so monday i got supplies from Carfoure (dispite the bomb warnings) and last night i went to the ace club in maadi with some work mates. BUT...so far so good...getting used to things now, itl just take time im sure :)

Stumble...got me a can of Raid and healthy or not, as long as it stops my face looking like a puss pizza, im easy :) thanks man and HNY

Yeah, I hear yah. Damn mosquitos have no boundaries. The Raid plug-ins work well also. Apparently Carrefour sells these electric mosquito killing tennis rackets. My colleagues have them and not only are they effective, they're super fun and can double as party favours. Bzzzz...ZAP!

The liquid refill is the best, you just put it on and you change it every 10 days, the other ones you have to change it every 8 hours. The light based one is not that eficient, the mosquitos has to get to that light in order to work. The room spray also it does not not work 100 per cent right, beside the fact that is not healthy.

Cheers guys
I have tomorrow off to itl be a day trip to Carfoure for supplys again....il pick it all up there. Since iv been tear gassing the flat with raid iv not had any bites so at least i know thats working for now.

TimmyUK wrote:

Cheers guys
I have tomorrow off to itl be a day trip to Carfoure for supplys again....il pick it all up there. Since iv been tear gassing the flat with raid iv not had any bites so at least i know thats working for now.

Spray a bit into all the floor drains and bath rooms as well.

Thanks Shorouk nice tip

Shorouk wrote:
TimmyUK wrote:

Cheers guys

Spray a bit into all the floor drains and bath rooms as well.

i forgot one important place we also spray is the acs when they are in regular use every couple of weeks a small spray of raid and colorox/bleach to kill off the other nasty germs.