Could you please explain the meaning of this saying

Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted.
William Bruce Cameron

Hi Moka2205,

Since your post is not relevant to expatriation in Saudi Arabia (forum on which you initially posted) i have moved your thread to the Expat Cafe - Open discussions forum.

Hope you get some answers  :)

All the best,
Bhavna

Thanks Bhavna for your sincererity and support.

Dr. Akhtar

Hello There,

Happy to benefit someone since my join here. Well the meaning of this goes like follows:

Not everything that can be counted counts = not all things that you can count and calculate and perform numeric operations & stats on really matters or hold importance

not everything that counts can be counted = not everything that matters and holds importance and means something can be measured in units or numbers or logical mathematical explanation

basically this quote examines the opposition between qualitative value versus quantitative value. A simple example on that could be feelings; love of a mother to her baby boy/girl can not be traded by millions of riyals, while no matter how much money you spend on clothing or cars or shoes doesn't mean anything if you don't know how to dress or match colors or wear what fits your body type

IF you want it in Arabic also I can try to do that, but hope my explanation was suffecient and it was the "meaning" you were looking for :)

Thanks for your explanation. It is true meaning that you explained.

Your question contains the answer...  :dumbom:

TIP: Read slowly, and you'll understand the meaning.

Find useful info to succeed in your expat project

OR