Keeping up with the news in Vietnam

Hello everyone,

Living in Vietnam provides countless occasions to browse local newspapers, listen to local radio stations or watch local TV shows. As everywhere else in the world, local media play a key role in informing the public.

What are the major media in Vietnam? Which one do you use on a regular basis?

How do you keep up with international issues (newspapers, radio, TV, Internet)?

Thank you in advance!

Priscilla

Basically via newspaper/Internet

Hardly I have seen any one reading news paper or listening radio. Yes, TV is being watched widely by ll across the world then why Vietnam will be a exception. I loved some of the thriller and comedy serials and watching them regularly. BBC and CNN is providing worldwide news including Vietnamese TV. Though language even you don't understand but any Programme it is well understood what is going on story and of course in case of emotional scenes, language has no barrier.

This year for the first time in my 9 years enjoying Vietnam I have signed up for USA NFL football with NFL Game Pass. It is 16 hours a day year round of LIVE conversation on teams, draft, rookie reports, trades and all the scoop on teams progress. Reception is great in DaNang Vietnam. 24 hours a day at your own schedule you can replay any game(s) you want and watch without commercials or time out delays. Includes preseason, regular schedule, play offs and SUperBowl. Yes it is a dream come true.

I also subscribe to Viet News in English to get every day updated newss

Facebook is my daily routine as well.

CNN sucks as it is one side opinion but it is the oinly USA news broadcast in DaNang.

Kenneth
DaNang VIetnam

CNN sucks
UNQUOTE

I agree, so when in VN I read online ABC Australia, BBC, Al Jazeera, Real News  Network, BBC;  plus Thanh Nien News, Cong An and  other news in Vietnamese and Indonesian/ Malay languages.   VN language newspapers are ever so much more revealing than English language newspaper when reporting about VN.

ralphnhatrang wrote:

CNN sucks
UNQUOTE

I agree, so when in VN I read online ABC Australia, BBC, Al Jazeera, Real News  Network, BBC;  plus Thanh Nien News, Cong An and  other news in Vietnamese and Indonesian/ Malay languages.   VN language newspapers are ever so much more revealing than English language newspaper when reporting about VN.

Except for "Indonesian/ Malay languages" that I don't speak and BBC that seems to have been cut off since former PM Kiet's interview, we are hitting pretty much the same sources. I also follow some of the more academic publications like "Foreign Policy," "The Diplomat" etc.
http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-bu … 368?page=2 is an example from "National Interest."
USNI and AUSA, publications that I subscribe to as a member also contain Military information that includes Viet Nam

Who is the cable provider you are using? I need to see if they have it available in HCMC.

Thanks

Red

I watch some local tv news stations and read Google news and news hog on the internet. I don't see anyone reading a newspaper or listening to the radio other than doing their karaoke. I watch some tv sitcoms with my wife, but she also reads the internet news websites.

Same media as everywhere ; newspapers, a lot of magazines, TV and radio. Everything is in Vietnamese, except a TV chain which has news in English in the evening, and 2 newspapers, Le Courrier du Vietnam and Vietnam News. All those media publish only what is acceptable by the Government. To get information which are not politically correct, remain TV (TV 5, CNN and BBC), and the Internet, though the Internet news are too often idiotic, talking mostly about "People" happiness, problems and affairs, Who cares ????

Finding international new is super easy with the internet.  I have a number of apps for my phone that continuously keep me posted about world events.  BBC news is my big one. 

I do like to keep up with local news and there's a great app for for that.  For Android phone it's called "Vietnam News" and has an array of news stories from all over Vietnam.  It's a third party app so it'll send you to the correct website to read it in English.  Many of the stories are from respectable sources such as:

pda.news.com.vn

vietnamtribune.com

thanhniennews.com

Then there are a few facebook pages  that I follow such as Saigoneer.  I'm not sure how reliable that page is, but it has some interesting news coverage.

Actually, in the evening, some people get together with friends or colleagues at restaurants or karaoke  bars. But many stay home and watch TV. But many get the news from online newspaper, in Vietnamese. It's free and more varied, convenient than traditional newspapers. There are lots, but i read official ones. I'm tired of reading unofficial unreliable online newspapers. I also read newspapers in English to keep up with the vocabulary: Vietnamnews, Tuoitreonline, Thanhnienonline. I sometimes read CNN for world news, but I dont read BBC because it reports wrong things about Vietnam.

Lotusss wrote:

i read official ones.

I also read newspapers in English to keep up with the vocabulary: Vietnamnews, Tuoitreonline, Thanhnienonline. I sometimes read CNN for world news, but I dont read BBC because it reports wrong things about Vietnam.

i read official ones.  All is well!

I dont read BBC because it reports wrong things about Vietnam.[
  All is not well!

Teacher Mark wrote:
Lotusss wrote:

i read official ones.

I also read newspapers in English to keep up with the vocabulary: Vietnamnews, Tuoitreonline, Thanhnienonline. I sometimes read CNN for world news, but I dont read BBC because it reports wrong things about Vietnam.

i read official ones.  All is well!

I dont read BBC because it reports wrong things about Vietnam.[
  All is not well!

Hi. Thanks for your reply. And:
1. I might not be exact to say "it reports wrong things about VN". It should have been "it reports biased news about VN". In fact, it reports all negative news about Vietnam, not the good ones. If you read it too much, you will have a bad image of VN, which is not true about my country.
2. I accept "not well" things, as long as they are reported on relatively responsible official newspapers. I know that VN still has many shortcomings, but I prefer these issues to be discussed healthily and solved gradually and systematically, rather than irresponsibly swearing on official newspapers which just makes my country weaker and become the target of foreign evasion. We can't expect VN to be as good as developed country. We suffer too much from the war... Each Vietnamese person should love the country, accept the shortcomings of the country, and do every little thing to build the country, little by little.
That's my opinion. Thanks for reading. Regards.

:top:

Yes.. frequently I am read in Vietnese news papaers and I have about lot of Vietnamese frineds on face book. , then I shared their post olabout Vietnam..

I check the DrudgeReport.com twice a day.  News from back home in the USA, along with some international stuff.  But with Drudge, you can get some humorous stuff along with the news.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm a conservative who can't stand Hillary Clinton, and if I watch CNN, that's all I'm going to see or hear about is how wonderful Randy Andy Cooper thinks she is.

Priscilla,

Well we do have many choices. While traveling in many countries, China remains the most openly choked down place I've experienced.  Vietnam, while openly struggling, has defined itself as progressive, .,,everyone knows government here cannot stop the Dong and dollar from comingling and producing consistent growth of freedoms that attract many us to its shores. The mixed medias here can be read like tea leaves that predict continued shuffling of have and have nots, all the while the poor here have little hope of exiting their condition anytime soon. Reading media versus daily observations of life here keep me engaged to understand changes do come, ... but by one grain of sand at a time.
The changes are gradual. Media portrays ideas, life experiences can portray opportunities for enlightenment. The best news comes to us the same way. By not allowing ourselves to be lulled into false places, we continue the quest to true enlightenment,
While we have a share of the self serving, I find this blog encouraging for those who truly want to help others. Thank you for the opportunities to share my thoughts.
Mac

Agreed.    Change your self

..or change will change you...

I love to watch the local police and army segments on local tv. They just always seem to have a film crew close by when doing good deeds. Propaganda is very much alive and well. I must say the Can Tho, CSGT segment is my favorite, very comical.