Living the life in Alicante

Moved to Alicante 14 months ago and now living the dream, it's a beautiful cosmopolitan city, with plenty to do and see.

My partner and I now own a Thai restaurant [Thai Corner} in the old town of the city which is the only authentic Thai restaurant for over 40 miles .

It is now quite established and we have many returning customers.

Fortunately I am a sleeping partner and am now able to enjoy retirement playing golf,tennis and relaxing , spending time with new found friends.

Hi,
About your own a Thai restaurant business, may you help me to learn know more about business for foreigner in Spain? How to open own shop?

Thanks a lot.

Hi,
What I was suggest is that you take advice from a good lawyer/accountant that speak your language and Spanish.
We were fairly lucky that we found the business and that is has a very good footfall(meaning that many people pass the restaurant and therefore notice us and if they don't eat on that day they will come back another time),that is very important.
We were offered a number of places by an estate agent,but turned them down because they were In quite areas,and since we have moved here we have noticed that other people have started businesses there and failed because it was in a quite area.
Hope this helps
Gwyn

Many thanks for your help :)

Sounds fantastic , that's the life I want  ... We want to come to Alicante as soon as house sells  as I suffer with fibromyalgia & need a more relaxed life ... My children are moving with me so excited .. X

Hi Liz,
I don't think you could move to a better place it's really more civilized here than other places I have been to in Spain and yet you still have the beaches and lots of culture, hope you sell soon and make the move , ***
Gwyn

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : No free ads here please

Good luck to all those who have succeeded.

I am often surprised by the number of good to very good restaurants and bars you find in and around Alicante that seem to have very few clients, no matter at what time you go there. Just wondering how they make ends meet.

Some folks I diuscussed this with say they probably make so much money during the couple of months of tourist season at the height of the summer that they can afford to idle a bit the rest of the time. But if its that, why don't the just close down and lock up at other times and enjoy themselves?

hello me and my partner and son age 12 are thinking of moving to Alicante, we are at the moment unsure of the best area?? where jobs are easier to find? we are skilled, beautician and a web developer, with other skills bar/waitress so we can do a few things. We are coming over this year to view renting and looking at what the jobs are like there, we are currently in the uk, we are moving for a better life, mainly more outdoor living.

Liz Powell wrote:

Sounds fantastic , that's the life I want  ... We want to come to Alicante as soon as house sells  as I suffer with fibromyalgia & need a more relaxed life ... My children are moving with me so excited .. X

Hi
I don't agree with your comments most restaurants are open here for at least 11 months of the year like ourselves we close for a month in January when it gets very quite.
The problem with a lot of the restaurants they get a lot of tourists and the food is not always the best because they don't always care whether they see you again so you should pick and choose where you eat.
Often restaurants where the Spanish eat will be better.
Also of course our restaurant does care about our customers that is why we are number 7 out of 1100 restaurants in the Alicante area

Hi
Hope you get here soon the weather is always good here which hopefully will help with your problems good luck and enjoy Alicante

Hey!

I'm glad you've made your dream come true!!!
It is also my dream to work in Spain but as a seasonal worker and then go back to my country :)
I'd like to ask you if there are job opportunities in Alicante related to massage therapies?

Do you think it is well developed?

All the best!

Hi
My husband and I are in the process of actively searching for our retirement home in Alicante.  Any advice would be welcome. Are there any retirees on this forum who live near or in Alicante? How do you find everyday life there?
:) 
Mary and John

Hi! We were living in UK and we moved a month ago! Here is absolutely amazing! We live in the centre and we are enjoying every single day! Very civilised, clean streets, friendly people, very good service at hostpitals ( we went there for an emergency (nothing serious)and we have been attempted in only 20 min!)
The paediatrician was very professional and nice and the hospital was in a beautiful modern structure.
I think you can easily find a job and coming now is a perfect time!
Good luck!

Sandy Dangelo wrote:

Hi! We were living in UK and we moved a month ago! Here is absolutely amazing! We live in the centre and we are enjoying every single day! Very civilised, clean streets, friendly people, very good service at hostpitals ( we went there for an emergency (nothing serious)and we have been attempted in only 20 min!)
The paediatrician was very professional and nice and the hospital was in a beautiful modern structure.
I think you can easily find a job and coming now is a perfect time!
Good luck!

Hello Sandy
How lovely for you to be starting a new life in Alicante.  Great to hear that you found the hospital services good.  But can you clarify if you were using your EHIC, or did you use private health insurance?   Was the actual hospital Private  or Public?
Kind regards,
Mary

gwyn99 wrote:

Moved to Alicante 14 months ago and now living the dream, it's a beautiful cosmopolitan city, with plenty to do and see.

My partner and I now own a Thai restaurant [Thai Corner} in the old town of the city which is the only authentic Thai restaurant for over 40 miles .

Fortunately I am a sleeping partner and am now able to enjoy retirement playing golf,tennis and relaxing , spending time with new found friends.

Hi Gwyn,
On a recent visit to Alicante, we walked past your restaurant.  It's near the Central Market on a corner right?  It looked nice but was closed in the afternoon.  It will take some time for us to get used to the Spanish siesta 😎 Good Luck

Some do or are seasonal for other reasons, like the horchateria azul.

what are the schools like in alicante for my 10 year old son.Are they the same is in the uk.Or better.

Hi,  i apologise if there is an existing thread for this but some advice please.
Considering moving out soonest to Benidorm old town area . My aunt has lived there since she was young so has spent most of her life here. I just want someone elses advice on renting even though i wont have a spanish bank account, schooling system for a 10 year old native english and work.

I apologise again if wrong place to post.

Sam

gwyn99 wrote:

Are all your staff genuine Thai. พนักงานของคุณเป็นคนไทยแท้หรือไม่

Hello again! I did not notice when i read the first part of your message- you provided the name of your restaurant. Yes, my daughter and I were there this morning and we waited inside the cathedral to wait for your place to open but was kind of disappointed when we went back and not reallzed to not read the part that you are closed till the end of the month!  Too bad!

Oh well! Maybe when I am back. I am considering moving here from Los Angeles and was just walking around and seemed to really like and have a good feel about Alicante.