Close

Positive & Negative side of Colombia!

I will try to say both the positive and the negative.
Positive:
1. people can be friendly

2. there are pretty sights

3. it is not as expensive as America

4. the weather can be better than America

5. there are fun things to do

Negatives:
1. depending on where you are, if you do not know Spanish - do not come

2. if you are wanting to work but do not have a Colombian National I.D. Card - do not come

3. if you are wanting to rent a place with no Colombian National I.D. Card - do not come

4. if you are not wanting to marry a Colombian person for the National I.D. Card - do not come

5. if you are tired of getting "double charged" or paying the "foreigner price" of things - do not come

walka19walka64 :

if you are wanting to work but do not have a Colombian National I.D. Card - do not come....

if you are wanting to rent a place with no Colombian National I.D. Card - do not come.

My research shows it’s not difficult to get the ID card.

A temporary visa (aka TP visa) entitles you to obtain the ID card, known as a cédula. There are a lot of different TP’s available.  For a list of the easy requirements to obtain the ID card, visit www.medellinliving.com/cedula .... The only tricky requirement I see is that you need to get a blood test -- and how hard is that, really?  The other requirements are a breeze.

What’s this business about “depending on where you are, if you do not know Spanish - do not come” ?  That needs more explanation, Walka Walka.

cccmedia

A trickier aspect of an Expat moving to Colombia is subjecting oneself to COL taxing your world-wide income.

Such taxing used to be assessed starting in Year 5, but it’s been reported in multiple places on the Internet that the four-year waiver was eliminated in 2013.  So your exposure to Colombian taxation begins the first year that you spend more than 182 days in the country.

What if you receive income in the U.S. that is not taxable in the U.S. ?  Would it possibly be taxable by Colombia ?  I can’t find such information on the Internet .. although there is information that Colombia is re-doing its Expat taxation statutes, so the answer is uncertain for coming years anyway.

cccmedia

:D

NOT True, I do not speak Spanish, my wife is Colombian and I have no problema.

I agree that not knowing the spanish language is a negative.  My wife is also Colombian and we get along just fine. 

My wife has began to notice the Gringo pricing.  When she does, she finds another business for services.

rsmith1742 :

I do not speak Spanish, my wife is Colombian and I have no problema.

‘Fess up, Smitty.  Everybody has problemas.

Sorry to disappoint you but my Seniorita solve each and every challenge and never let them become a problem.  This retired Marine only see s opportunity while others ponder problems...

Wishing you the best !

Semper Fidelis

Randy

rsmith1742 :

my Seniorita solve each and every challenge and never let them become a problem.  This retired Marine only sees opportunity while others ponder problems...
Semper Fidelis
Randy

Author-lecturer Robert Fritz convincingly taught -- in Advanced DMA -- that every problem is an opportunity.

So both sides appear to be correctly focused, based on Marine Randy’s post.

cccmedia

If you enjoy cheese, then you're going to have a hard time in Colombia. Actually, if you enjoy food, then Colombia ain't your spot.

But I still love the place.

Questions and answers about Colombia

Ask your question
Priscilla
Shiue
Trip to Colombia - Safe to travel in Bogota?
By Shiue
komatta
dentist in Bogota
By komatta
mdreyer80
Any Americans Moving to Medellin?
By mdreyer80
SunsetSteve
A month in the coffee region - where to stay?
By SunsetSteve
Julien

Expatriate health insurance in Colombia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Colombia

Moving to Colombia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Colombia

Travel insurance in Colombia

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Colombia

Flights to Colombia

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Colombia