From Washington DC retiring to Alicante region.

I just wanted to introduce myself.I

'm Mark and my wife is Vicki. We are currently living in Washington DC. We are retiring this year at the end of September.

Planning on relocating to Alicante in  November.

We will be looking for a long term furnished rental there. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Mark and Vicki

Hello Mark and Vicki and welcome to :cheers:

You may want to read our Expat guide to live in Spain which have several useful informations for new expats in Spain.

Concerning your accommodation hunt, you could drop an advert in the Housing in Alicante section of the site.

You could also seek help of professionals if needed : Real estate in Alicante

Hi Mark And Vicki!

So happy for you guys - you picked the right place in Europe. Although Alicante is an underdog in terms of life quality - many don't know it which is good for us living here - it is also Europe's answer to California.

Saw your post and I wanted to copy in something else I posted for Paddy:

"It is definitely possible to get a good long term rental in Alicante. Here is what I use when renting long term:

#1 - Know what you want
First thing needed to be done is knowing what it is you guys want and detail it clearly (make sure you do this exercise together and find a common opinion). Write down whatever you can about what would suit you, how can you be happy, what will make you stay there for years to come and so on. And this has nothing to do with price, size, contract or square meters by the way - those are not things that will make you happy! Focus more on what you want and what your dreams and goals are (this is not an easy task) and figure out the the rest come later. More than 85% of your motivation, decision and end result is dependent on you knowing what it is you want!

#2 - Lower the monthly rent
Negotiate the terms of payment in your favor and save 10-20% on the rent by agreeing to pay 6 or 12 months up front. With cash on the table the Spanish more reluctant to negotiate with you - I think it's a cultural thing.

#3 - Get a good contract
You could use a gestor, but I would go through the "trouble" of having someone more education and market specific to handle your case. That means consulting a lawyer or responsible real estate agent. By good contract I mean one that is equally and mutually fair for both, with terms and agreement you and the owner are happy with. Good business and future relationships are always built on mutual ground. And for the love of god chose somebody who can offer you this in terms you can understand - English :)

#4 - Listings in general
Most listings on property portals and at many real estate agencies have the wrong specifications, they are outdated and/or are already rented out. We can agree to this being sloppy work, but it is how it is and you need to find the solution not focus on the problem. You need to contact an agent and ask them what they have available at that very moment. And then you have to see a lot of property to get the right impression and to take an informed decision. The real impression beats the online anytime!

I hope this helps and I wish you guys the best of luck!

Let's get to work!

Carsten - H&E

Hi Mark and Debbie,

I hope I got your names right.  In the process of logging in, to send this message your post went away.  Anyway, Susie and I live in Laurel, MD and have already bought an apartment in Valencia, Spain.  Right now it is vacant.  We plan to move there sometime after the Spring of 2018.  It would be nice to get together and compare notes, and maybe dinner or something.  My email address is **

Hope to hear from you,

Phil Komornik

Moderated by kenjee 2 months ago
Reason : We invite you to share your contact infos only in private (click on the member's avatar to access their profile, and click on the 'send a message' button on top of their profile)

Questions and answers about housing

Ask your question
By Subalu65
Best area in Alicante
By Joanne&David
Long term rentals, expat area etc
By andher76
Moving to Costa Blanca
By Melissa111

Expatriate health insurance in Alicante

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Alicante

Moving to Alicante

Find tips from professionals about moving to Alicante

Travel insurance in Alicante

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Alicante

Flights to Alicante

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Alicante