Buying parts for 250 cc Honda

Man o man is hard to find some one in cho lon who is even prepared to look at photos and specs of spare parts I want. Does any body know  of some one who WANTS bussiness. ?

Have you tried the shops on Nguyen Chi Thanh?

If you mean the ones behind the plaza, yes those also, it hasn't been entirely fruitless found the fork seals as I was walking back from cho lon , stopped at a shop spoke to a guy he pointed me back to cho lon , he must have watched me because next thing he pops up on the bike and gave me a lift all the way back to a friend of his and they had the seals. Same today,met some guy (  jnr) from Canada ( looked and spoke like a local ) , the long and short of it is that just as I've about to let it go the light shines through. No wonder I love this crazy disfunctional functioning place, Mark

Maybe try it around the Ta Uyen street area on the D.5 side off Nguyen Chi Thanh where all the metal works are. Quite a lot of spare parts manufacturers are located all around there and in the small side ways. Maybe they have or can point you in the right direction.

Cheers for that ,didn't think of that at the dentist now so will catch xe buyt later

eBay here I come, no meat left on this doggies bone

Going to an outside shop will probably get you parts made in China or Thailand.  Why not go to a Honda dealership?  You will pay more but parts will either be made in Japan or in another country in a Honda run factory.  I would think that even if they don't normally sell bikes over 150cc, they would certainly have computer access to a system that lets them order genuine parts.    You probably have a fair bit of cash in your 250.  Why skimp on a set of seals?

Hi Thigv, the response from dealerships was just as bad, it's very hard to divert me from an intention ( which is now the case ) but the bone is bare, thanks for all the advice, Markin Saigon

I have noticed that the Honda Rebel 250's seem to be sold new mostly at the multi-brand dealerships.  Have your tried at the places that have Rebels out front?  I know these places tend not to have service departments but maybe they could direct you to the right repair shops.

You could always ask someone to bring you arts from the US.

Thanks to all, I'm now just using my time here in a much more enjoyable way rather than traipsing around trying to communicate with disinterested retailer. I believe I have given it a fair go and seen first hand what a lot of expats have been complaining about. 1 of my main intentions with eventually coming to live here is to come with eyes wide open and this has taught me another lesson, not difinitative but educational, to be blunt, the thinking needs to change to where it's not a case of screwing the 1 or 2 atm's that walk in to your bussiness today but having an income / clientele base/ reputation you can bank on for tomorrow . My love for Saigon/ Vn hasn't changed, just lowered my expectations

MarkinNam wrote:

a case of screwing the 1 or 2 atm's that walk in to your bussiness today but having an income / clientele base/ reputation you can bank on for tomorrow .

I spent several years in Cho Lon with the Chinese and while I love VN and the people, you are very right and what you wrote reminded me of an old saying they have in Cho Lon (the Chinese about the Vietnamese). The Chinese compare the mentality of ripping off today's jackpot instead of investing in long term relationship like this: "If you have a Chinese and Vietnamese and you give each of them one chicken, the Vietnamese will go home and have chicken for dinner and the Chinese will sell eggs tomorrow"

If you know someone in Phnom Penh, there are a fair number of 250 Honda's running around, brought over from Thailand, I am sure that would be a source for spare parts there.

Seals are relatively small items and aside from the wait and customs duty should be no problem to order from overseas.

At least that is what I'm telling myself. I ordered a Jeep rear main seal a couple of weeks ago. So in a month or two, I should have a better idea about ordering small parts from overseas.

If you want bike parts you could order from Japan, http://japan.webike.net/
bear in mind you need to pay custom fees.

You can also get some parts from Taobao.com.

70yrs, month or two?? man that takes long! I usually order from states and they arrive in 2-3 weeks time. I use people who run business to bring all sort items in the country. no custom fees, but you do pay for those people.. good point is that they can get secondhand part also in the country.

Wald0 wrote:

If you want bike parts you could order from Japan, http://japan.webike.net/

70yrs, month or two?? man that takes long! I usually order from states and they arrive in 2-3 weeks time. I use people who run business to bring all sort items in the country. no custom fees, but you do pay for those people.. good point is that they can get secondhand part also in the country.

They are shipping parcel post